Magazines

Hahn

Ive heard of people not fully loading their mags for reason being that it "wears out" the spring and follower. Is a mag with a few less rounds worth it when SHTF? What do you guys do? And this applies to both pistols and rifles. Right now, i have both fully loaded. Just fired the pistol today and no problems with the mag or feeding. Just curious what others do and why.

people believe too much of what they hear. I've left mags loaded for years and they've always been 100% when they get cycled in. Lots of people (myself included) like to load certain mags 1 or 2 rounds below capacity just to make it easier to lock in on a closed bolt, but it won't hurt the magazine one bit.

people believe too much of what they hear. I've left mags loaded for years and they've always been 100% when they get cycled in. Lots of people (myself included) like to load certain mags 1 or 2 rounds below capacity just to make it easier to lock in on a closed bolt, but it won't hurt the magazine one bit.

exactly what I was going to say.

I've never had a problem with factory mags or quality aftermarket mags. I consider Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick mags good quality, stay away from stuff like Promag, ATI, Mec-Gar. Your better off buying 1 good mag than 2 or 3 of the cheap mags that will give you grief. I was buying ATI G22 mags from cheaperthandirt.com for $5 each about 2 years ago so I bought 20 of them and out of the 20, 5 of them was total junk. They are ok to use at the range but I had 2 of them pop the floor plates and dump all the ammo when I slammed them into the gun. Not something you'll want to trust your life with.

Do springs wear out, yea sure they do. It takes a long long long time though.

exactly what I was going to say.

I've never had a problem with factory mags or quality aftermarket mags. I consider Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick mags good quality, stay away from stuff like Promag, ATI, Mec-Gar. Your better off buying 1 good mag than 2 or 3 of the cheap mags that will give you grief. I was buying ATI G22 mags from cheaperthandirt.com for $5 each about 2 years ago so I bought 20 of them and out of the 20, 5 of them was total junk. They are ok to use at the range but I had 2 of them pop the floor plates and dump all the ammo when I slammed them into the gun. Not something you'll want to trust your life with.

Do springs wear out, yea sure they do. It takes a long long long time though.

this

Back in 09 we found my great grandfathers Colt 1903 in my grandmothers house. While cleaning out the house after she died in 2011, we found the magazine elsewhere in the house, fully loaded. The rounds in it were probably from the 30s.

Guess what? We shot the damn thing and it never had an issue. Springs will last close to forever if they stay within their elastic range.

springs wear out from movement. Leaving them loaded or unloaded forever will have no effect on them. The follower will only wear from the last round sliding out, which happens at the end of every mag. The only issue I know of with leaving mags fully loaded is pressure on the feed lips causing them to crack if plastic, or distort if metal. But I wouldn't worry a lot about that unless you are using shitty cheap mags.

Over time, all springs tend to lose elasticity. If you keep mags full of cartridges, the spring can 'relax' and 'creep' over time. The constant compression force on the spring causes it to become shorter (creep) and the decrease in force is called relaxation.

That said, I've never had any problems keeping the mags in my Glock loaded all of the time, although I do notice a huge difference in spring force between certain magazines. Not sure why, and they all seem to work fine, weak spring or strong.

Huge difference in the quality in springs. There are some you maybe able to leave fully loaded off and on for years and never have noticable degradation in spring strength and elasticity. Some others, not so much. What works for one clip may not hold true for another.

If it worries you so much, buy another spring. Depending on the clip, it shouldn't be too expensive or hard to replace.

I leave all my fully loaded and have for years.

Worst case is you buy a new spring once every decade or so...

About a decade has been my experience with springs in office equipment as well ie paper feed trays and roller assemblies.

I leave all my mags loaded as well.

Huge difference in the quality in springs. There are some you maybe able to leave fully loaded off and on for years and never have noticable degradation in spring strength and elasticity. Some others, not so much. What works for one MAGAZINE may not hold true for another.

If it worries you so much, buy another spring. Depending on the MAGAZINE, it shouldn't be too expensive or hard to replace.

Fixed. ;)

I've heard of this also. I have several factory Glock mags, i'll leave 2 loaded and the rest empty, then after a few months i'll switch which ones are loaded and which ones i leave empty. I doubt they will ever 'wear out' but if i have extra mags sitting around why not just cycle them through.

I've heard of this also. I have several factory Glock mags, i'll leave 2 loaded and the rest empty, then after a few months i'll switch which ones are loaded and which ones i leave empty. I doubt they will ever 'wear out' but if i have extra mags sitting around why not just cycle them through.

Because cycling is what weakens the metal