And the most expensive car to insure is....

crummer

Audi R8!

Insurance companies don't seem to like the euros......

Car insurance comparison: The most and least expensive 2012 vehicles to insure

By Emmet Pierce, Insure.com

If you want to drive a flashy new car that turns heads and gives you an adrenaline rush when you step on the gas, you'll have to reach deeper into your pocket to pay for auto insurance.

In Insure.com's 2012 rankings of the most and least expensive vehicles to insure, we found that high-priced cars with powerful engines and European pedigrees come with the highest car insurance quotes. The reasons: More crashes, higher repair bills and expensive injuries.

Americans have long associated car styles with personal image. You may view the vehicle you drive as an extension of your personality. When you get behind the wheel of an expensive car, people form an impression of your personal worth and social status. Practical cars such as minivans are more economical, but they don’t have the same bragging rights.

We surveyed auto insurance rates for more than 900 vehicles in the 2012 model year. This year’s least expensive vehicle to insure: The four-cylinder Toyota Sienna LE minivan.

At the other end of the road is the 2012 Audi R8 Spyder Quattro convertible. With an MSRP north of $160,000, this 10-cylinder two-seater is the most expensive car to insure in this model year.

See the top and bottom 20 rankings below, or use the tool above to explore all data. Average annual rates shown are for comparative purposes and are based on a specific driver profile. (See methodology below.)

Too sexy for my car

The Toyota Sienna LE carries the least expensive average auto insurance rate

Geoffrey Miller, an evolutionary psychologist and associate professor at the University of New Mexico, says your choice of car says a lot about the way you perceive yourself. Driving a sporty car may be just another way of saying, "Hey, look at me, I'm really cool," especially for men, he says.

"We know from biology that males typically are more ardent about displaying all sorts of sexual ornaments to attract mates, ranging from the peacock's tale to the gorilla's muscles to the human's luxury goods," Miller says. "I suspect these cars are bought disproportionally by single guys or guys whose marital commitment is not 100 percent.”

He also points out, “It is why young single males are the most dangerous drivers, because they are on the mating market."

Signs of success

The Audi R8 Spyder Quattro Convertible carries the most expensive average auto insurance rate

If driving a hot sports car says you are seeking status and attention, what does driving a cheap-to-insure minivan say about you?

"A minivan says, ‘I am happily married with kids,’” says Miller. "It says, 'I am not on the mating market. I care more about safety than flash.'"

Jill Bookman, CEO of Cherry Hill, N.J.-based American Collectors Insurance, insures new, limited-production cars and classic automobiles. She says for most buyers, it’s all about chasing the dream.

"The reason people want to own a car that lightens their wallet by $100,000 is because it is … a physical representation of success. You have the wherewithal to purchase something that everyone knows is an expensive car."

Choosing a flashy sports car can be a quest for status, but there are exceptions, says Elizabeth Lombardo, a psychologist based in Chicago. Some people genuinely value the added quality that luxury cars offer. "For some people it's ‘This car is so comfortable and it drives so nicely,’" she says. "It's not, 'Hey, look what I can afford!'"

Jim Whittle, assistant general counsel of the American Insurance Association trade group, points out the economic realities of insuring luxury cars.

"Oftentimes they are expensive because [manufacturers] only produce a certain amount of those vehicles,” he says. “Sometimes they are made with handmade parts. The cost to repair is a big driver in the cost to insure a vehicle."

Least expensive vehicles to insure (2012)

Rank Vehicle Cyl. Nat'l annual avg. rate

1 Toyota Sienna LE 4 $1,111

2 Toyota Sienna 4 $1,114

3 Jeep Patriot Sport 4 $1,116

4 Jeep Compass Sport 4 $1,118

5 GMC Sierra K1500 Regular Cab 6 $1,121

6 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Regular Cab 6 $1,125

7 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 6 $1,129

8 Ford Escape XLS 4 $1,137

9 Toyota Sienna 6 $1,139

10 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 6 $1,143

11 Dodge Journey SXT 6 $1,143

12 Honda Odyssey LX 6 $1,146

13 Kia Sportage 4 $1,151

14 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4 $1,152

15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 6 $1,154

16 Nissan Frontier S King Cab 4 $1,162

17 Nissan Frontier SV King Cab 4 $1,163

18 Hyundai Tucson GL 4 $1,166

19 Ford Escape XLT 4 $1,167

20 GMC Canyon 4 $1,167

Most expensive vehicles to insure (2012)

Rank Vehicle Cyl. Nat'l annual avg. rate

1 Audi R8 Spyder Quattro Convertible 10 $3,384

2 Mercedes CL600 Coupe 12 $3,307

3 Mercedes S600 12 $2,948

4 Audi R8 4.2 Quattro Coupe 8 $2,903

5 Porsche Panamera Turbo 8 $2,738

6 BMW 750i Hybrid 8 $2,701

7 Porsche 911 Turbo Convertible 6 $2,674

8 Porsche 911 Turbo S Convertible 6 $2,674

9 Mercedes CL65 AMG Coupe 12 $2,669

10 BMW 750Li Hybrid 8 $2,641

11 Mercedes SL63 AMG Convertible 8 $2,615

12 Mercedes CL63 AMG Coupe 8 $2,613

13 Jaguar XKR Supercharged Convertible 8 $2,585

14 Mercedes S63 AMG 8 $2,542

15 Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe 8 $2,532

16 Audi A8 L Quattro 12 $2,513

17 Mercedes SL550 Convertible 8 $2,458

18 Nissan GT-R Coupe Turbo 6 $2,457

19 BMW 750XI 8 $2,446

20 BMW 750i 8 $2,430

Survey methodology

Insure.com commissioned Quadrant Information Services to provide a report of average auto insurance rates. We calculated rates using data for six large carriers (Allstate, Farmers, GEICO, Nationwide, Progressive and State Farm) in 10 ZIP codes per state. Not all models were available, especially exotic cars.

Averages are based on insurance for a single 40-year-old male who commutes 12 miles to work each day, with policy limits of 100/300/50 ($100,000 for injury liability for one person, $300,000 for all injuries and $50,000 for property damage in an accident) and a $500 deductible on collision and comprehensive coverage. This hypothetical driver has a clean record and good credit. The rate includes uninsured motorist coverage. Average rates are for comparative purposes. Your own rate will depend on personal factors.

More from Emmet Pierce here

Intresting that there is not a single American made car on the top 20 most expensive. All of them are German with the exception of one Japanese car. On the other hand, the inexpensive autos are 11 American, 6 Japanese, and 3 Korean.

I feel this survey was somewhat limited in scope, maybe based on number produced by the manufacture. I was suprised to NOT see a Corvette on here, especially with new models clearing the $100K mark.

Intresting that there is not a single American made car on the top 20 most expensive. All of them are German with the exception of one Japanese car. On the other hand, the inexpensive autos are 11 American, 6 Japanese, and 3 Korean.

I feel this survey was somewhat limited in scope, maybe based on number produced by the manufacture. I was suprised to NOT see a Corvette on here, especially with new models clearing the $100K mark.

Not enough data compiled on the $100k+ models to affect rates.

Relatively inexpensive to fix (compared to the German cars on that list)

There's probably more retirees driving Corvettes than any other age range. I'd bet a majority of Corvettes are driven a maximum of 66 mph and never see any adverse weather.

edit: regarding the GMC Sierra K1500, werent those the trucks whose gas tank(s) were mounted outside the frame rails? Woulda thought that'd send up some insurance red flags.