transmission help

pontiacfreak142

A little back story...

The car started acting funny about 3 days ago. We pulled into a meijers parking lot and as I'm parking, the car about dies. On the way home, when I would slow down/ stop the car would about die every time and when I would take off it would stutter if you didn't give enough gas quick enough. I would also hear a strange noise that kinda sounded like sucking air/ whistle type sound.

Got it home and started checking things. We did find that the motor was eating coolant and figured it was the upper intake. After pulling it off and finding that the gasket was going bad and replacing it, the car was still acting funny and now had an ses light. I had the code checked that came back as low voltage to the maf. I took it out and cleaned it and the car seemed to run better ( no attempted stalling or stuttering).

Now the entirr time, I had also been trying to describe the weird air sucking/whistle noise I had been hearing, but up until we cleaned the maf and took the car for a test drive, my dad hadn't heard it. We got back and put the car in park and the noise came back. At first he said it sounded like water bearing going bad, but after trying a few things, we determind it had to be the tranny.

I drove the car home and back a little later. I pullex up in my dads driveway and put it in park. When I did this the car rocked back when I let off the brake and made some loud ticking like sound and the car almost stalled. After this, the ticket sound got pretty loud and was constant in park and nuetral only. Until this morning, it did not make the ticking sound while in gear. Now the faster I go, the faster and louder it gets.

Is it fixable or am I fucked? Lol

Until you said something about it rocking back in park, it sure sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Maf low voltage? Sure it wasn't MAF low frequency? That sucking sound and that code sure sounds like some unmetered air to me, that would cause it to run like shit, and since load is primarily based off the MAF it can make the car shift funny. I'd take some brake clean and start looking for a vacuum leak and rule that out.

What about it makes you think its a transmission related issue anyway? Did I miss something?

Until you said something about it rocking back in park, it sure sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Maf low voltage? Sure it wasn't MAF low frequency? That sucking sound and that code sure sounds like some unmetered air to me, that would cause it to run like shit, and since load is primarily based off the MAF it can make the car shift funny. I'd take some brake clean and start looking for a vacuum leak and rule that out.

What about it makes you think its a transmission related issue anyway? Did I miss something?

Well according to the scanner I used it was like p0102 code I think and it even said low voltage. That sucking type sound has turned into a constant ticking sound. It was only doing that in park and neutral till this morning. I just drove the car home to get the bird and it was ticking the entire time.

I know these 3800s inside and out from a tuning stand point and know what a good scan should look like. I will go with you for a drive and scan the car's fuel trims and such in trade for a happy meal. :fuckyeah:

If it turns out not to be the tranny, ill take you up on that. Only ill do one better and go for some steak lol

Well according to the scanner I used it was like p0102 code I think and it even said low voltage. That sucking type sound has turned into a constant ticking sound. It was only doing that in park and neutral till this morning. I just drove the car home to get the bird and it was ticking the entire time.

Okay well on a generic scanner it may say voltage, but that is a MAF low output code. It really sound like un-metered air to me, ie vacuum leak somewhere.

Even though its ticking?

Couldn't tell you what that is, without hearing it I could guess all day, but it's likely related to the whole mess. Possible EGR, is the EGR port where the plenum gasket was messed up? I've seen those plastic upper plenums melt there on the inside, but it usually dumps coolant in the oil.

Couldn't tell you what that is, without hearing it I could guess all day, but it's likely related to the whole mess. Possible EGR, is the EGR port where the plenum gasket was messed up? I've seen those plastic upper plenums melt there on the inside, but it usually dumps coolant in the oil.

Yep that was first thing we checked.

I doubt your car has one, but it would be a vacuum line going to the transmission, a hard line coming up usually and only being rubber on the ends. I fairly certain your car is too new for that.

ok. i had my dad ask the tranny guy at his work what he thought, if it might be the trans or not, and i guess he said it sounded like some bearing going bad to him. i also remembered that i got the extended warranty on that thing so im just gonna take it in and have it looked at lol. i called dave gill, but was told they had a waiting line of like 2 weeks

ok. i had my dad ask the tranny guy at his work what he thought, if it might be the trans or not, and i guess he said it sounded like some bearing going bad to him. i also remembered that i got the extended warranty on that thing so im just gonna take it in and have it looked at lol. i called dave gill, but was told they had a waiting line of like 2 weeks

Yeah transmissions are like 2 weeks out, you should've just told them you need it looked at. :dumb: