spotted Subaru BRZ

Gergwheel1647545492

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know anything about the motor? How well itll take a turbo or anything? Like the hyundai genesis for example.

4U-GSE is the motor going into both the BRZ and FR-S models. Subaru already intends on boosting the motor, but until that happens, no idea. HKS is already working on a supercharger and turbo kit for this car, though. I'll see if any numbers have been put up yet.

You put an average driver in both cars I bet they run the same 1/4mi.

Neither the S2000 nor the FT-86 have any business running 1/4 miles. What's wrong with you peoples? Why are you all even discussing a car that's wasn't engineered to satisfy your boorish straight-line tendencies?

FWIW, the S2000 will likely be a faster car in professional hands, but trickier to drive if the reviews are to be believed. The FT-86 should be better balanced and less prone to snap oversteer. And cheaper. And they didn't stop making it 3 years ago. And we should really be comparing it to a Miata, because that's the only car on the market that it's competing with.

4U-GSE is the motor going into both the BRZ and FR-S models. Subaru already intends on boosting the motor, but until that happens, no idea. HKS is already working on a supercharger and turbo kit for this car, though. I'll see if any numbers have been put up yet.

It's referred to as a FA20 when it's mounted under a Subaru badge.

The engine has a 12.5:1 compression ratio, so in stock trim it's not going to take to forced induction very well. But Subaru does have a turbocharged FA20, and TRD supposedly is working on a Supercharged version. So a low compression version is out there.

Now is it the next 4G63? No. The next EJ20? Probably not. The current FA block is an open deck. So a semi-closed version or a deck girdle will be needed for truly silly power. But on the bright side, it does have Toyota's D4S Direct/Port injection system, so fueling should be very tuneable.

But I think, ultimately, to get big power, you'll have to shoehorn an EJ25 in there like GReddy did for their 600hp drift GT-86.

Don't care. Gonna have normally aspirated fun when I get mine. :)

Considering the curb weight is targeted to be LESS than an S2000 with about the same HP and more torque than an S2000, I wouldn't say it's "slow" or "underpowered."

I've argued this before, it's not about power.... it's about overall balance, which is exactly what makes a car exciting to drive. I would just like to point out, I'm sure VERY few of us on this board could ever out-drive a car like this. It will really make a driver out of you.

BTW, I'm completely jealous Greg got to see this car in person because I'm as giddy as a girl waiting for this car to be released... I WILL have one.

I havent discounted it totally yet. It is the first year, work out any bugs they find, I have no doubt the aftermarket will be all over it.

The key to the Summit was all about Power to Weight ratio. It won't take much to go around a track smartly. What is the curb weight on it?

NVM I actually read the rest.

I havent discounted it totally yet. It is the first year, work out any bugs they find, I have no doubt the aftermarket will be all over it.

The key to the Summit was all about Power to Weight ratio. It won't take much to go around a track smartly. What is the curb weight on it?

I am not sure on other cars, but it takes more than 1 model year to introduce revisions. 1.5 in the MKV GTI's case. Just a thought for those hoping to miss early hiccups.

Also, as farkas already stated, 2620-2720

What tranny?

Aisin 6pd, both manual and auto. Rear diff is from an IS300.

A fully loaded BRZ is 2770. But Vorshlag thinks they can trim nearly 100lbs with a full exhaust and a battery swap.

I'm having a hard time understanding the resentment to this car coming out. "Oh it's underpowered, booo hooo, it should have 500hp and destroy cars that cost twice as much."

When almost all new "sports cars" that are coming out are tipping past 4000lbs on the scale. Some of the lightest are still past 3200lbs.... and here comes a light, nimble, RWD car that gets shunned because it won't be a capable drag racing car.

This is the direction sports cars need to take. They need to rediscover their roots and what even makes them a sports car.