spotted Subaru BRZ

Gergwheel1647545492

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a good thing that it's not AWD... it's just more weight that you need to carry around that isn't useful much of the time.

I'm going to reserve my judgement for when I actually get to drive (or at least ride in) a BRZ. That said, I doubt I'm in their target market.

They moved the engine back like a whole foot by ditching the AWD system. The CG is lower and the central axis is more central, and all the other goodness that goes along with moving an engine down and back.

Not saying they couldn't make a lighter, better Imprezza, but clearly they weren't trying to do that here. And adding AWD isn't possible now.*

*Without pulling a Ferrari FF.

For those keeping score, Draco-Rex wins the thread, going away.

If I had know I was being scored I would have tried harder to stick that landing.

the thing i am unimpressed with is no AWD on this subaru

meh.

would be cool for a light weight AWD car, but no.....

The whole nature of the car would have been different. I'm happy with it being RWD. After driving AWD Subarus exclusively for a few years now, I'm ready for something with a relatively light nose.

The new WRX is likely going to end up a lightweight platform. I think Subaru sees the BRZ as a way to try out new technology and manufacturing techniques while having Toyota foot the R&D bill.

Now if we can only convince Subaru not to make the STI into an upscale label and leave it as a brash performance label.

Draco, will you be giving ride-a-longs at AutoX with the BRZ? I call first dibs! :p

Happily. I'll usually do the last run solo, but the other runs I always welcome passengers, no matter what I'm driving. Just don't expect much. It's been a while since I've driven a RWD car, and I've never AutoXed one. I foresee hitting cones with both ends of the car. ;)

Happily. I'll usually do the last run solo, but the other runs I always welcome passengers, no matter what I'm driving. Just don't expect much. It's been a while since I've driven a RWD car, and I've never AutoXed one. I foresee hitting cones with both ends of the car. ;)

Offtopic, but I want to ride along one run in the STi this year then, if you're bringing it out!

just one that actually looks good.

:dumb:

Subarus don't look good. Subaru styling is like a fungus.. it grows on you. In fact, I think they use pictures of the original B9 Tribeca as a form of anesthesia; sometimes euthanasia in dire cases.

http://www.buickcarpics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Subaru-B9-Tribeca-2.jpg

Will there be a rattle-less version of the BRZ?

The rattles let you know it's working!

couldn't figure out why there was a subaru at the car show that was 'blocked off', so you couldn't get close to it

seriously?

:dumb:

Yeah, I hate roped-off cars. If I just want to look at a car I can look at a picture. Cars should be sat in.

The good news is that Subaru is touring a few BRZs. There will be one at the Columbus Auto Show, so it should make an appearance at a nearby Subaru dealership.

I actually like this car and am a Subaru fan (owned 2). What are the biggest differences between say the BRZ and the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe? Weight? The Genesis looks like a pretty good car. Will these two cars be looked at or shopped by the same individual? Are they in the same class? Or is the Genny going for the Camaro/Mustang comparos?

Guest GMoney

Looks and smells like an rx-8 to me.

I really wanted this car to be awesome, but so far it has failed me. I was thinking this was gonna be another 600whp monster for me but at 2500lbs to replace the 2900lb 600whp evo. Open deck block and less than 200hp from the factory thats to much work for me to get it to 600whp.

Who ever buys one of these i want the first race in my $6000 187whp z3. Corners or straight line you pick.

Guest GMoney
I am very skeptical about the true weight with all the new crash ratings and 11 million airbags that are required. Hell the evo 9 was stopped for a year because it didn't meet the crash ratings because they didnt have side airbags.

I actually like this car and am a Subaru fan (owned 2). What are the biggest differences between say the BRZ and the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe? Weight? The Genesis looks like a pretty good car. Will these two cars be looked at or shopped by the same individual? Are they in the same class? Or is the Genny going for the Camaro/Mustang comparos?

The BRZ is smaller, between a Miata and the Genesis, and comes in at 500lbs less than the Turbo, and 600lbs less than the V6. I think the Genesis would be easier to live with day-to-day, but the BRZ should be more fun to drive and handle a LOT better.

Subaru has a list of cars they expect people to cross-shop:

Honda Civic Si

Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Mazda MX-5 Miata

Mini Cooper Coupe S

Volkswagen Golf GTI

Personally, the Honda, Mini, and VW are off my list because they are FWD. The Miata is too small and only a 2-seater, with half the cargo space. And the Genesis is too big and heavy, not to mention a Hyundai (parts are a bitch to get).

Even if only the Scion FR-S came to the states, I'd want it. It hits all the right points in my opinion.

Congrats on the BRZ!!! :thumbup: Hope to see it at Cars and Coffee this year...

It will be. If I can get the time off from work.. :p

Looks and smells like an rx-8 to me.

I really wanted this car to be awesome, but so far it has failed me. I was thinking this was gonna be another 600whp monster for me but at 2500lbs to replace the 2900lb 600whp evo. Open deck block and less than 200hp from the factory thats to much work for me to get it to 600whp.

Who ever buys one of these i want the first race in my $6000 187whp z3. Corners or straight line you pick.

It was always going to be a small displacement aluminum block. I think 600whp is a bit much to ask. Considering the concept from the start has been a spiritual successor to the AE86, big power was never the goal.

But a Supercharged and/or turbo variant will likely be in the future. We'll see.

I'll happily meet you at an AutoX.

I am very skeptical about the true weight with all the new crash ratings and 11 million airbags that are required. Hell the evo 9 was stopped for a year because it didn't meet the crash ratings because they didnt have side airbags.

I think 2770 is a fair weight. Later this month Vorshlag will have one on a set of corner weight scales. So we'll get some true numbers and a lot of other info to boot.

Draco, mind sharing the price. feel free to PM if you want.

No price yet. When I go tomorrow to put my deposit down, it will be with the agreement that I can get it back if the price is higher than expected. But I don't think it's going to be an issue.

Subaru has stated at multiple auto shows that the BRZ will start at $25K. Assuming a $2K difference in trim levels, that puts the Limited at $27K.

Guest GMoney
As for the AutoX let me know the date, It will be fun. I am cheating a little because im already sporting the full TC kline package. It should make up for some of my horrible driving skills.....

The BRZ is smaller, between a Miata and the Genesis, and comes in at 500lbs less than the Turbo, and 600lbs less than the V6. I think the Genesis would be easier to live with day-to-day, but the BRZ should be more fun to drive and handle a LOT better.

Subaru has a list of cars they expect people to cross-shop:

Honda Civic Si

Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Mazda MX-5 Miata

Mini Cooper Coupe S

Volkswagen Golf GTI

Personally, the Honda, Mini, and VW are off my list because they are FWD. The Miata is too small and only a 2-seater, with half the cargo space. And the Genesis is too big and heavy, not to mention a Hyundai (parts are a bitch to get).

Even if only the Scion FR-S came to the states, I'd want it. It hits all the right points in my opinion.

Thanks. Makes sense to me!