BMW's new tri turbo

Nate1647545505

interesting. I was half-expecting a sequential setup, or are they just doing 2 cylinders per turbo? Piping errywhere! Stupid germans, making awesome engines then only giving us failomatics to shift with.

interesting. I was half-expecting a sequential setup, or are they just doing 2 cylinders per turbo? Piping errywhere! Stupid germans, making awesome engines then only giving us failomatics to shift with.

It is sequential, it just has 3 stages. Small variable vane for low end spool -> a big one for midrange grunt -> a second variable vane to fill out the top end.

Seems kind of overkill for driveability. 381hp/585tq isn't a crazy amount for a multi-turbo diesel unless it has a tiny displacement. But doesn't 550 mean it's roughly a 5L engine?

I think the numbers in the model name stopped having any correlation to powertrain some time ago...

Engine:

Six-cylinder in-line diesel engine with

M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology, aluminium crankcase, three turbochargers (high-pressure, with variable turbine geometry), common-rail direct injection with piezo injectors, maximum injection pressure: 2,200 bar.

Displacement: 2,993 cc,

output: 280 kW/381 hp at 4,000 – 4,400 rpm,

max. torque: 740 Nm (546 lb-ft) at 2,000 – 3 000 rpm,

specific output: 93.6 kW/127.3 hp per litre of displacement.

Notice turbos feeding turbos, this is technically a "qasi-disaster compound system"

Keep in mind this is a diesel....

Fixed that little typo for you there.

Considering the issues BMW had with the bi-turbo 335/535/etc I'd be a little reluctant to own one of these until a couple model years pass.

i think the 550 refers to $550, as in, the minimum cost for a mechanic to even look at this engine.

Yo dawg, I heard you like boost, so we put a turbo in your turbo in your turbo, so you can boost while you boost while you boost.

:lolguy:

I see it as brilliant engineering, which is often incredibly complex theories made viable and simple.

I'm sure vairable cam timing, lift, electronic throttle control, etc etc were all thought of as a blanket of complexity for a simply task, but yet they've revolutionized the industry.

Hell....one turbo is complex enough, add VTG and three of them....good lord...amazing.