Automatic Tranny Question

bahd-ler

OK, I have a transmission question in which I thought I knew the answer. If you have a auto tranny whatever, and put it in 2 of 3. I understand that doesn't allow it to upshift in to overdrive but does it still allow it to downshift? So in scenario if I am at a complete stop and put the vehicle in 3 or even 2 will it start in gear 3? My understanding was the selection didn't allow it to upshift but didn't effect the downshift.

Any insight???

Reason I ask is I was in a new Ford F-150 and from a complete stop in 3rd (auto) it started in 3rd. Is this new or have I always missed this?

Depends on the tranny and what vacuum lines and wires you have plugged in or not.

+1

Depends on if you can power your way though that gear from a standstill as well.

On all Auto BMWs, they start in 2nd gear in Drive. If you select 3rd. It'll downshift, select 2nd then upshift to 3rd ASAP. The engine just boggs down in 3rd so it never does 3rd from a standstill.

Same happens in the Scion that I drive

Reason I ask is I was in a new Ford F-150 and from a complete stop in 3rd (auto) it started in 3rd. Is this new or have I always missed this?

My Fusion Sport has the 6spd auto with manual option and it does allow for and will easily start in 3rd. It's very nice for when there is snow or ice on the road, especially since the top of our street is on a slight incline. In 1st the car will spin and TC will kick in. In third, it will just roll out without issue. I use it a lot, especially since the stock rubber, RS-A's suck.

When in manual mode, it will hold gear to redline and it does not shift for you thus you can bounce off the limiter. When stopping, it will automatically drop gears but won't go to 1st unless you come to a complete stop. That's okay as it has plenty of power. In fact I can punch it in 2nd and still spin through the entire gear provided TC is off. For a manumatic I like it a lot. The downside is that the car revs very quietly and it's not hard to leave it in 3rd, hit high RPM's and not even know it. Especially on the freeway. Yeah, I've done it and not known :fuuuu:

I would imagine the F150 is the same.

My Fusion Sport has the 6spd auto with manual option and it does allow for and will easily start in 3rd. It's very nice for when there is snow or ice on the road, especially since the top of our street is on a slight incline. In 1st the car will spin and TC will kick in. In third, it will just roll out without issue. I use it a lot, especially since the stock rubber, RS-A's suck.

When in manual mode, it will hold gear to redline and it does not shift for you thus you can bounce off the limiter. When stopping, it will automatically drop gears but won't go to 1st unless you come to a complete stop. That's okay as it has plenty of power. In fact I can punch it in 2nd and still spin through the entire gear provided TC is off. For a manumatic I like it a lot. The downside is that the car revs very quietly and it's not hard to leave it in 3rd, hit high RPM's and not even know it. Especially on the freeway. Yeah, I've done it and not known :fuuuu:

I would imagine the F150 is the same.

My car does the same in sport mode.... and I figured other vehicles would be the same as well. I was in a debate with someone and they claimed the car/truck would hold the gear selection like a manuel.

they claimed the car/truck would hold the gear selection like a manuel.

I don't know of many manumatics that would hold the car in 4th, 5th or 6th as you slow. I don't even think it would be possible as they'd simply bog and I would think that applying the torque to an engine in an incorrect gear would not go well for the engine.

OK, I have a transmission question in which I thought I knew the answer. If you have a auto tranny whatever, and put it in 2 of 3. I understand that doesn't allow it to upshift in to overdrive but does it still allow it to downshift? So in scenario if I am at a complete stop and put the vehicle in 3 or even 2 will it start in gear 3? My understanding was the selection didn't allow it to upshift but didn't effect the downshift.

Any insight???

Cars have changed so much, and are different between year/make/model/options that an answer would be very model specific. In an F-150 I have no experience, but most newer transmissions you can select a gear and its pretty close to a manual in that it stays in it unless its going to cause damage. GM's 6 speed automatics have to be going fast enough to be shifted into high gear, but some of them can be started in 4th. A lot of older style transmission that have stayed in production can't be started off that high, and will just act like a 3 speed auto if placed in 3rd.

Depends on the tranny and what vacuum lines and wires you have plugged in or not.

This made me LOL. Most cars haven't used vacuum control in over a decade. Most late model transmission won't do anything if they aren't plugged in. However I know where you're coming from Vince, the vacuum modulated transmissions could be fucked with to do all kinds of stuff. At this point with all of them being electronic I can command them to do anything with a good scan tool, including locking the converter and holding a gear to the point of stalling the car out.

My car does the same in sport mode.... and I figured other vehicles would be the same as well. I was in a debate with someone and they claimed the car/truck would hold the gear selection like a manuel.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r247/A4SHO/manuel.jpg