Scion FR-S...about $5k too expensive

zeitgeist57

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ETA?

Not sure, I've been talking to nate about the arial atom eater , But he's been really busy lately. So if he does not find time to build it this year I'll be ordering a 818 come bonus time next year. Turn around on putting it together would be a couple weeks

I've already have everything I need parts wise for ~400awhp, since it will no longer be awd hitting 400 should be trivial.

Not sure, I've been talking to nate about the arial atom eater , But he's been really busy lately. So if he does not find time to build it this year I'll be ordering a 818 come bonus time next year. Turn around on putting it together would be a couple weeks

I've already have everything I need parts wise for ~400awhp, since it will no longer be awd hitting 400 should be trivial.

Cool, let us know 12+ months from now how that works out.

Lots of new reviews today. I think the "leak" of the FR-S pricing made Subaru bump their media timetable a bit.

http://www.insideline.com/subaru/brz/2013/2013-subaru-brz-full-test-and-video.html

The takeaway:

"Perhaps there's a lesson here. If this is all that's required to make a sports car with elegant control, engaging feedback and enlightening limits, we have only one question:

Why isn't every manufacturer doing it?"

UPDATE: Looks like every other car rag is debuting their reviews as well. Happy Friday!

Automobile Magazine - http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1203_2013_subaru_brz/index.html

Road & Track - http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/drives/driven-2013-subaru-brz Note: R&T mentions the car will fit drivers 6'4 and below. FWIW, I'm 6'6 and I fit very comfortably in the BRZ.

Motor Trend - http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1203_2013_subaru_brz_limited_first_test/

AutoWeek - http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120323/CARREVIEWS/120329931

I'm liking the 0.92g skidpad on low rolling-resistance tires.

Edited by Draco-REX

The BRZ’s 151 pound-feet of torque doesn’t sound like a lot but nearly all of it is available across a broad rev band, from about 2500 rpm to 6500......

Torque: 151 lb-ft @ 6400 rpm

:dumb:

redline is 7000

:dumb::dumb:

I would hate to drive a car where the torque isn't available.

:dumb:

redline is 7000

:dumb::dumb:

I would hate to drive a car where the torque isn't available.

Yeah, there's some speculation that the throttle plate is closing near redline. We'll see. OTher than that, the torque curve is pretty flat with a dip in the middle where the cams change timing.

BRZ has caught honda fever.

BRZ Foot, coming soon to a parking lot near you.

:lolguy:

What is a FF 818?

Factory Five Racing "project 818". It's their new car that they are currently developing. The name comes from the target weight of 818kg or 1800lbs. The donor car will be a Subaru WRX. Essentially the center diff is removed from the transmission and replaced with a spool to make it FWD. And then the engine and transaxle is put in the back of the 818, making it mid-engined.

The result should be a really nimble car (95" wheelbase) with the potential for good power. A 400 crank hp Subaru engine is very easy and reliable to make, and with only 1800lbs+driver to move, it should be very fast.

FFR plans to have the first kits made, beta-built, and the first customer units under construction by SEMA this year.

Factory Five Racing "project 818". It's their new car that they are currently developing. The name comes from the target weight of 818kg or 1800lbs. The donor car will be a Subaru WRX. Essentially the center diff is removed from the transmission and replaced with a spool to make it FWD. And then the engine and transaxle is put in the back of the 818, making it mid-engined.

The result should be a really nimble car (95" wheelbase) with the potential for good power. A 400 crank hp Subaru engine is very easy and reliable to make, and with only 1800lbs+driver to move, it should be very fast.

FFR plans to have the first kits made, beta-built, and the first customer units under construction by SEMA this year.

Hadn't heard of it until now. Now I have a real contender in lieu of a FF Cobra. I already have a fox donor but DO WANT ~$15k Atom.