Noobie SLR D choices?

We've got a point and shoot digital and id like to move into something more complex.

where should i start looking for a slr d package?

canon EOS rebel seems to be pretty popular, but im open to all suggestions. Probably looking under 500-1000. Nothing pro. Not really looking to blow a load on something stupid nice that i might not pick up in a few years. I currently have no body or lenses.

(have read through http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101376)

I have a Nikon D3100.

Originally, I got the body and kit lens for $475.

Bought a 35mm f/1.8 for $200 and a 50-200 f/4-5.6 for $100.

With memory cards, and filters add another $100.

Total investment - 875.

I have a Nikon D3100.

Originally, I got the body and kit lens for $475.

Bought a 35mm f/1.8 for $200 and a 50-200 f/4-5.6 for $100.

With memory cards, and filters add another $100.

Total investment - 875.

I got a D3100 kit with the 18-55 and the 55-200, bag, memory card, blah blah. for $700 at Costco. I won't go into the lens I bought.

D3000, with basic 18-55 lens and 55-200.

I have under 700$ in my set up. But looking for another lens.

Seems canon has a lot more lens options?

I like my Nikon. But I'm thinking about switching to canon.

Not really, Nikon beats Canon when it comes to lens, MUCH better quality. Even canon people will admit this.

Anyways, get into prime lens. Since you're on a crop body, the 35mm f/1.8 is an awesome lens. So crisp and it's just a sweet walk-around lens. The 18-55 usually is never on anymore because of it.

Not really, Nikon beats Canon when it comes to lens, MUCH better quality. Even canon people will admit this.

Anyways, get into prime lens. Since you're on a crop body, the 35mm f/1.8 is an awesome lens. So crisp and it's just a sweet walk-around lens. The 18-55 usually is never on anymore because of it.

Ive been looking around for a good price on the 35mm f/1.8

But for my searches I found alot more people changing to canon. I may be wrong, still a noob..

Ive been looking around for a good price on the 35mm f/1.8

But for my searches I found alot more people changing to canon. I may be wrong, still a noob..

35mm will always be at $200

Cannon has their 50mm f/1.8 at like 100, but it feels like plastic

Nikon beats Canon when it comes to lens, MUCH better quality. Even canon people will admit this.

Not really. Assuming you are comparing an equal lens from each company (Say a 70-200/2.8 IS or VR II) then one *Might* be slightly better than the other (In the 70-200 the Canon is known to be better). The biggest difference isn't a "Better or Worse" thing (You can buy a $100 Nikon or Canon lens and a $10,000 Nikon or Canon lens) as much as it is which offers the best option for what you shoot. If money were no object, Canon's new IS II Super-Tele's (300/2.8 and 400/2.8 and 500/4 and 600/4) are all better than anything Nikon offers. Nikon doesn't offer a "VR" 300/4 like Canon. Nikon doesn't offer an affordable 400/5.6 like Canon. Nikon has a 80-400 VR but it is not nearly as good as Canon's 100-400 IS (Which itself is dated).

Most say Nikon's 14-24 is the best full-frame wide-angle lens available. Most say Canon's 85/1.2 and Tilt-shift lenses are in a class by themselves.

Canon is so much bigger / more widely used that the used market tends to be a huge advantage too. More lenses on the market tends to bring the prices down compared to Nikon. This is good and bad obviously (Good for selling / Bad for buying).

All that being said, I personally think Nikon's high-end Camera's are better (D800 Vs 5DIII for example) but that is a different discussion.

Jeff

Edited by Turbotrio

IMO bump up to $1,500 budget and I'll buy you a cup of Joe at Cars and Coffee and share a few thoughts. What youll get will last you quite a long time with out a need to trade up. Just remember glass trumps bodies all day long. Canon has a much better selection of glass, especially for that budget range. Anyone in doubt is welcome to bring their gear with a kit lens and I'll mount my glass on Clays 12 year old Canon 6mp body and well let CR be the judge.

• 2 weeks later...