My wife wants better gas mileage...

Mallard

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the lease if you don't mind me asking?

3 year/36k mile $322/month. It's a base model with the preferred package.

My wife's commute is only about 8 miles each way so we'll have plenty of miles to drive it around on the weekend.

Also, the electric company will give $2500 to cover the cost of a charging station and installation to the firt 2500 people, so we can get a 240V charger installed in the garage absolutely free.

Does the go-fuck-me-nt give $10k rebate yet ?

There's a $7500 tax creadit (the same one that's been around since the early 2000's) if you purchase, but since this is a lease I understand that it goes straight to the bank and it's built into the lease price.

There's a $7500 tax creadit (the same one that's been around since the early 2000's) if you purchase, but since this is a lease I understand that it goes straight to the bank and it's built into the lease price.

That's one BIG reason I will never buy one. I don't like over inflated costs on items like this. GM Priced this thing at what $40k because they can and knowing that the rebate will in turn lower the price to the consumer. That's BS in my book. By using it as a cap cost reduction on the lease is another BIG BS move. In the end you got what is a fair deal for you, but IMO it should be a $30k car and the rebate shouldn't have to be used to reduce the monthly. I should have that option if I choose, but knowing leasing like I do, I never would. Toyota did the same thing on the Prius and knuckleheads all over gave up the money to own one. My sister in law being one of them. No way is a Prius anywhere near a $28k+ car.

Great car but to me a GM Fail in many ways.

3 year/36k mile $322/month. It's a base model with the preferred package.

My wife's commute is only about 8 miles each way so we'll have plenty of miles to drive it around on the weekend.

Also, the electric company will give $2500 to cover the cost of a charging station and installation to the firt 2500 people, so we can get a 240V charger installed in the garage absolutely free.

How big of a charging station does it require? I thought they were supposed to just plug into any outlet.

How big of a charging station does it require? I thought they were supposed to just plug into any outlet.

Standard 120V charger comes with the car and takes approx. 10 hours for a full charge. A 240V charger reduces charge times to about 4 hours and allows you to take advantage of off-peak utility rates.

That's one BIG reason I will never buy one. I don't like over inflated costs on items like this. GM Priced this thing at what $40k because they can and knowing that the rebate will in turn lower the price to the consumer. That's BS in my book. By using it as a cap cost reduction on the lease is another BIG BS move. In the end you got what is a fair deal for you, but IMO it should be a $30k car and the rebate shouldn't have to be used to reduce the monthly. I should have that option if I choose, but knowing leasing like I do, I never would. Toyota did the same thing on the Prius and knuckleheads all over gave up the money to own one. My sister in law being one of them. No way is a Prius anywhere near a $28k+ car.

Great car but to me a GM Fail in many ways.

Not looking to get into the politics of the car, but you have to realize that the car wasn't priced this way because they want to gouge the customer. They invested a lot of money in this car, and the battery is expensive.

Yes, the Cruze is the better choice for longer trips. My wife's commute is less than 8 miles so the gas engine will never turn on. My commute is 25 miles, so unless i could plug in at work it may be a toss up. We're never taking the Volt on a long trip (like Detroit to Columbus).

Not looking to get into the politics of the car, but you have to realize that the car wasn't priced this way because they want to gouge the customer. They invested a lot of money in this car, and the battery is expensive.

Agree on the politics of it, but the fact that they are sucking wind selling them shows the real "value" proposition isn't being realized in the real world with buyers.

Seems to me GM tossed money into the mix to buy a higher residual and likely a lower rate on the lease too. Delays the inevitable though. Not what I would call a good move for GM but it is getting you the consumer a better deal. Although if your wife only drives 4-5k miles per year in it, I'm not sure MPG's are really an issue to worry much about.

Good move on leasing it though. Way better than buying this type of car in your situation.

Actually it's the dealership that decided to move the cars. GM is advertising $350/mo for a completely base model. Other dealers quoted $365-450/mo for this car. We're also using the car on the weekends in order to use up the mileage.

Actually it's the dealership that decided to move the cars. GM is advertising $350/mo for a completely base model. Other dealers quoted $365-450/mo for this car. We're also using the car on the weekends in order to use up the mileage.

Depending on the details of the lease, that's $2k-$4k of markup they are then using to buy down the lease. They aren't losing money on that deal either that I'm sure. Thus I stand behind my pillaging of America on this car by GM.

Either way, you have a very nice car there.