The "Im still talking about D. Wiggs 4 years later" thread

D.Wiggs

I don't think it's a valid business at all, I bet it's an LLC thrown together to write the modding of his own car off on taxes, it takes nothing to form an LLC. Then after 5 years of not making money, fold LLC. Create another for a couple hundred on legal zoom. Start again.

Wait a minute... you can do this? More details please!!!

hmm... what monstrosity to make with my new shop??

How about a Nascar COTF chassis tucked under a 69 Dodge Charger with a 13,247,801 hp twin turbo V10 from the new viper.

Fastest, quickest, most awesome-est car ever!

Now to name my new shop...hmm... how about Vapor-ware engineering?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend that wanted to get into photography. He said he started an LLC pretty much as a hobby, no intention of making money, bought all his equipment, wrote it off, and basically the government gives you 5 years to show a profit, if not they deem it a hobby. So fold business, go on legal zoom start new LLC for couple hundred dollars or just enjoy your purchases from your failed LLC.

I could be missing some details but that is what was communicated to me.

I have a friend that wanted to get into photography. He said he started an LLC pretty much as a hobby, no intention of making money, bought all his equipment, wrote it off, and basically the government gives you 5 years to show a profit, if not they deem it a hobby. So fold business, go on legal zoom start new LLC for couple hundred dollars or just enjoy your purchases from your failed LLC.

Oh, so it's the new "Bankruptcy". I knew a couple people back in the day who would just load the fuck up with shit, file bankruptcy and start it all over again. This was many years ago, of course. lol

Oh, so it's the new "Bankruptcy". I knew a couple people back in the day who would just load the fuck up with shit, file bankruptcy and start it all over again. This was many years ago, of course. lol

You wouldn't file Bankruptcy because there is no debt; he paid for the equipment outright. You just dissolve the LLC before 5 years. Hell the cameras were old by then anyway and he wanted new stuff anyway, he's pretty wealthy.

I wonder if you could start your own 503c "not for profit" donate your cash to the 503c run by you, write off the charitable donation, use the 503c to purchase equipment, play, have fun, enjoy equipment. Never have to show profit?

I think you can create a 503c on legal zoom.com.

From Legal Zoom.com

What is a 501©(3) public charity?

A 501©(3) public charity is an entity that: (1) has been organized under state law, (2) is operated for a 501©(3) purpose, (3) benefits an unidentified charitable class of people (e.g., those who suffer from AIDS), (4) engages in activities that are non-political in nature, and (5) derives at least one-third of its support from the general public. A 501©(3) purpose includes--but is not limited to--educational, religious, scientific, medical and charitable endeavors.

So in theory Anthony has this message board, businesses could "donate their ad fees" to the message board, run track days for the public take donations for said track days. (1/3 donations from the public). He could purchase cars race them and set up the charitable group as race/off topic enthusiasts to gather on said message board and hold track events while not making a profit....

You know the

1:

2:

3:

4: NOT profit!

:)

I'm no expert, just stating ideas, maybe I am missing a whole bunch of things.

Edited by Benjamin

god, we should all do this with our cars.

I had a student recently who did this with his GT3 and all of his track expenses associated with the car. started a "Racing" company and basically wrote off all of his track expenses that way.

Quick Google search of this guy shows he was found guilty of fraud and other various things related to shady business practices with his construction company so I pretty much instantly decided to discard anything he ever told me.

You wouldn't file Bankruptcy because there is no debt; he paid for the equipment outright. You just dissolve the LLC before 5 years. Hell the cameras were old by then anyway and he wanted new stuff anyway, he's pretty wealthy.

I wonder if you could start your own 503c "not for profit" donate your cash to the 503c run by you, write off the charitable donation, use the 503c to purchase equipment, play, have fun, enjoy equipment. Never have to show profit?

I think you can create a 503c on legal zoom.com.

From Legal Zoom.com

So in theory Anthony has this message board, businesses could "donate their ad fees" to the message board, run track days for the public take donations for said track days. (1/3 donations from the public). He could purchase cars race them and set up the charitable group as race/off topic enthusiasts to gather on said message board and hold track events while not making a profit....

You know the

1:

2:

3:

4: NOT profit!

:)

I'm no expert, just stating ideas, maybe I am missing a whole bunch of things.

There's allot of restrictions around a nonprofit. I had the idea of creating a nonprofit whos soul existance is to take care of me.....

I had a student recently who did this with his GT3 and all of his track expenses associated with the car. started a "Racing" company and basically wrote off all of his track expenses that way.

Quick Google search of this guy shows he was found guilty of fraud and other various things related to shady business practices with his construction company so I pretty much instantly decided to discard anything he ever told me.

Good to know.

The problem is that, if you go to finance a house (for example), all the "unreimbursed expenses" of the LLC count against your income. Example: you make $148K (drive a Cougar), you file $100K in unreimbursed expenses under the LLC, your income is $48K for that year.
  • Upvote 1

The problem is that, if you go to finance a house (for example), all the "unreimbursed expenses" of the LLC count against your income. Example: you make $148K (drive a Cougar), you file $100K in unreimbursed expenses under the LLC, your income is $48K for that year.

See, told ya I am missing stuff. LOL

Not quite. If you don't show a profit 3 out of the first 5 years, the IRS deems your business a 'hobby' (among other criteria) and any write-offs you take can be later flagged with a tax liability plus penalties and interest. You can generally get away with writing off 'expenses' against 100% of your income for a hobby business, but if you write-off more than income, then you're rolling the dice on a full audit.

Not quite. If you don't show a profit 3 out of the first 5 years, the IRS deems your business a 'hobby' (among other criteria) and any write-offs you take can be later flagged with a tax liability plus penalties and interest. You can generally get away with writing off 'expenses' against 100% of your income for a hobby business, but if you write-off more than income, then you're rolling the dice on a full audit.

More good info, not sure if he was ever audited though. He could have been payed to do some work though.

Bingo.

-Marc

Glad someone said it...

BTW, just to be clear... you do know that when you "write off" a business expense, it doesnt mean you get that value removed or given to you on a tax return, right? It doesnt make the purchases "free' as you seemed to be eluding to...

BTW, just to be clear... you do know that when you "write off" a business expense, it doesnt mean you get that value removed or given to you on a tax return, right? It doesnt make the purchases "free' as you seemed to be eluding to...

Seriously? SMH

Those child credits I get, yea that's the money the Fed pays me to have kids.....

And of course the fed pays me the interest I pay on my house all year.

I'm getting like $50k back.