honda engine question..

The_buster

Im going to rebuild the motor in the civic. I have been looking at vitara pistons because they hold up to 600hp, not going anywhere near that. But I've been trying to price things and cant find any rods or anything for the d15.. find all kinds of stuff for the d16's. So my question is what is the difference? will d16 rods work? can i bore out the cylinders and make it a 1.6L? any info is appreciated.

+1 for doing the work yourself :) If your going to boost a sohc I'd go with the 1.6L z6 or y8 block. What's your hp goals and is the car going to be a dd with some street/strip car or all out race car?

If I was going to build a d-series parts list...

1.D16z6 motor

2.Aftermarket sleeves

3.cp,arias,vitara pistons 20'over

4.eagle,brian crower rods

5.bizmoto,crane cam w/adj cam gear

6.crane valvetrain or equal

7.skunk intake manifold

8.ID 1000cc injectors or depending on hp size

9.Aem fuelrail w/adj fpr

10.70mm tb

11.4bar map sensor

12.aluminum ic piping

13.precision 750hp ic

14.tial 50mm blow off valve

15.vtec trans with lsd

16.act or twin disk clutch

17.500hp axles

18. bosch o44 fuel pump

19.aem wideband

20.Hondata s300 in p28ecu

21. Name brand ramhorn that you can keep ac,ps 44mm wastegate

22.D-series don't flow like the b-series do so get a gt3076r dbb turbo

23.3inch exhaust

Now I know this is a big bill just to run 12's (jk) seriously though I've seen people go faster with less exspensive parts but I like over kill so theres always room to grow. The d16 motor are cheap and easy to come by. As far as tuning goes I would go ahead and buy the hondata and run it on a stock car so you can get use to how everything works. Wire the wideband into the ecu so you can datalog and see how everything runs and functions. If you have anymore questions ask away because I tuned my car and I ran 11.85@125 with me tuning it. If I don't know the answer I'll research till I find the right answer. Hope this helps and have fun.

Also before people start saying I forgot this or this let me say, I'm sure some of this stuff is common since but if not this ask away. :)

You need to do some reading over at www.D-Series.org and http://www.onecamonly.com/.

As far as rods it seems the only difference is D15B7 rest are all the same 137 length. Link below for D series specs.

http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/specs.htm

As far as Vitara pistons most people run eagle rods with them. this will require soem block notching at your local machine shop (might as well get a hone and check line bore).

The best company to talk to about this is http://www.speedfactoryracing.net/ they have built the fastest Vitara car.

Also stay away from bullshit Bisimoto parts all that guy does is relable other peoples products and charges more like his cams are actually web cams but he charges more cause his name.

Good Luck

. and as far as being in over my head.. yeah i am but you have to learn somewhere.

See that you live in Newark but you might want to consider taking some introductory Auto courses @ Columbus State. Auto-zone probably would pay for it.

You need to do some reading over at www.D-Series.org and http://www.onecamonly.com/.

As far as rods it seems the only difference is D15B7 rest are all the same 137 length. Link below for D series specs.

http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/specs.htm

As far as Vitara pistons most people run eagle rods with them. this will require soem block notching at your local machine shop (might as well get a hone and check line bore).

The best company to talk to about this is http://www.speedfactoryracing.net/ they have built the fastest Vitara car.

Also stay away from bullshit Bisimoto parts all that guy does is relable other peoples products and charges more like his cams are actually web cams but he charges more cause his name.

Good Luck

funny you mention speedfactory, thats what gave me the idea for the build. We have the honda tuning magazine at work and I was reading about the car on my lunch. I also joined up on d-series.org a couple weeks after I got the car. I was going to just swap a b series but its expensive.

comebackkid thanks for the list. That will probably end up being my "shopping list" lol. as far as the ramhorn.. i dont have ps or ac.. does it still need to be that design?

Well since you don't have ps or ac you can run whatever mani you want. Ramhorns are awesome, they look sweet and make the most power up top. You could also go with a mini ram, spools up a little faster but may lose some power. I got an rc autoworks mini ram and it was awesome, quality work. Make sure you don't get china ebay crap, will crack every day, ask me how I know.

Full-race.com. Afiturbo.net slowmotionmotorsports.com. Doc-race.com. Full race has the best manifolds but there prices are high. Afi kits are just as good and prices are a lot better then FR. Slowmotionmotorsports are hit n miss but there local so if there's a problem with the product they sold you they'll make it right( when you can get ahold of them)

Doc racing has good products to. I got my top mount from them and yes it cracked but it was my dd car and I had a bws366 turbo which weighed a easy 30lbs :) if I would have been smart and put alittle brace on it would've never been a problem.

Go vtec!!! Lol. A stock d16 non vtec has 96 hp and the vtec version has 126-128hp depending on z6-y8 motor.

where is a good site to buy these parts from? i was looking on andy's autosport but wasn't sure of how reliable the parts are. they do have name brand stuff...

A lot of these performance shops that sell kits for Hondas are usually 3rd party shops that have accounts with the good rep shops. The first thing I would get is a built block because it's going to be the highest priced part you'll buy. You can probably get by with piston rods and a block guard but why risk it.