Sonic vs FR-S

PRD2BDF

From Insideline

I shall quote Insideline

Think again. While the FR-S managed 67.3 mph around the cones, the Sonic posted a truly impressive 68.2 mph. On all-season tires.

Yep, the Sonic is an economy car for people who actually like to drive.

In other words

RWD LOL

FR-S LOL

AUDI LOL

MIATA LOL

Discuss

We have a Sonic here at work and it is a surprisingly peppy car to drive. However, if you really believe it's a better car, then feel free to get one. I'll call Jack Maxton and inform them of the impending flood of orders.

Helped a buddy flash some rom tune on his 6sp Sonic LTZ with exhaust and an intake.. even after that it still got taken by a stock 4DR 2011 GTi...

I'd hope so. The GTI has 70hp and 80lb/ft on the sonic. The gti also starts out at almost 10k more than the Sonic. :dumb:

And when the Honda Fit came out it was faster through the slalom than a Vette. I bet that means a Honda Fit is faster and handles better than a Vette. :dumb:

It means something, no?

It means something, no?

Of course it means something, but it's simply 1 indicator out of 100 of how a car will handle, overall big picture type of thing rather than 1 test. It reflects mostly a cars ability to transition from 1 direction to another without being upset.

Edited by Trouble Maker

I'd hope so. The GTI has 70hp and 80lb/ft on the sonic. The gti also starts out at almost 10k more than the Sonic. :dumb:

Sonic LTZ I'm referring to was ~20grand... GTI 23g.. GTI bone stock, Sonic modded with basic turbo bolt ons that should yield some decent gains (it is a 1.8 liter..). What I was getting at the sonic is slow lightly modded, and even slower stock.

Sonic LTZ I'm referring to was ~20grand... GTI 23g.. GTI bone stock, Sonic modded with basic turbo bolt ons that should yield some decent gains (it is a 1.8 liter..). What I was getting at the sonic is slow lightly modded, and even slower stock.

It's a 1.4L turbo, not a 1.8L turbo.

The interesting thing is, to be fast in a slalom you need to have some decent tires, no crazy amounts of body roll, and the narrower the track the better. Does the Sonic really have stickier tires and less roll than the FRS? The FRS has a very low cg and it's not that big of a car either.

You know what's wrong with the Sonic?

It's made by Daewoo.

Fixed. And yes, the new one is, too.

From Insideline

I shall quote Insideline

"Think again. While the FR-S managed 67.3 mph around the cones, the Sonic posted a truly impressive 68.2 mph. On all-season tires.

Yep, the Sonic is an economy car for people who actually like to drive. "

In other words

RWD LOL

FR-S LOL

AUDI LOL

MIATA LOL

Discuss

I don't know why the All-season tire phrase is bolded. It's a well-known fact the FRS comes with Prius low rolling resistance tires. Yes, the exact same tires offered on the Prius.

I won't comment on anything else so as not to feed the trolls. lol ;)

I don't know why the All-season tire phrase is bolded. It's a well-known fact the FRS comes with Prius low rolling resistance tires. Yes, the exact same tires offered on the Prius.

Incorrect. I did not know about this fact so it is not well-known.

Of course it means something, but it's simply 1 indicator out of 100 of how a car will handle, overall big picture type of thing rather than 1 test.

Don't forget cargo space, fuel economy, ability to park in small spaces, clearing speed bumps, or winter drivability?

I like the Sonic and I thought it was awesome. What I infer from this article is that on a tight course, the Sonic may give the FR-S fits or even exceed it but on a longer and less-tight course, the FR-S without a doubt will triumph.

Fixed. And yes, the new one is, too.

I won't comment on anything else so as not to feed the trolls. lol ;)

The Sonic is not made by or even developed by Daewoo. It shares nothing with the Aveo, the suspension was tuned by the Corvette dynamics team, and its built in Michigan, just north of Detroit.