I rubbed my brake pads on the cement and look what happened

Buck531

They actually were. They were the rear pads so it didn't get as much use as the front. Wife was complaining of a grinding noise coming from the back. Oops. Luckily I got it before it tore up the caliper. I just slapped new pads on (made sure they didn't fall off) and it's fine.

Nope.. what happened was when I put the pads on last year I pushed the piston in all the way (this pad was on the piston side btw) when I put the caliper on it popped out and wedged itself in the caliper and never noticed it. Braking was fine. Seemed normal. I've done probably 20+ brake jobs on my w-body cars and never had this issue. I was probably just in a rush and threw it on.

Did I fuck it up? Yep.. probably. do I care? nope. Do I think it's funny the way the pad wore? fuck yeah.

Nope.. what happened was when I put the pads on last year I pushed the piston in all the way (this pad was on the piston side btw) when I put the caliper on it popped out and wedged itself in the caliper and never noticed it. Braking was fine. Seemed normal. I've done probably 20+ brake jobs on my w-body cars and never had this issue. I was probably just in a rush and threw it on.

Did I fuck it up? Yep.. probably. do I care? nope. Do I think it's funny the way the pad wore? fuck yeah.

I see what you did there. That pad is garage wall worthy.

I see what you did there. That pad is garage wall worthy.

I've shown it to a few people and they're like.. WTF? :fuuuu: and then are like :lolguy: and then :fuckyeah: and I'm like :masturboy:

quick question.. what does rubbing them on the concrete do? ive seen the techs at tuffy do it when i deliver parts.. just curious

It's suppose to "wear them in". Although I normally just use a piece of 1000 grit sand paper to scuff them.

Sadly I have seen numerous people scuff on concrete. And I always laugh.

But when I worked at Midas they used duracrap autozone pads and scuffing the pad was the only way to keep them from making noise when stopping.

I did at least 10 brake jobs a day there and never had come backs.