Plate question

Buck531

I'm going Monday to pick up a car in Pittsburgh. I've bought a car out of state last year (Cali) but when the guy signed over the title to me the plates went with the car. This time the guy is keeping the plates. Do I get temp plates there and then come home and get temp plates again from Ohio? I was planning on just taking my wife's plates off her 99 and throwing them on, driving here and the next day getting a temp tag but I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

What are my options?

I was planning on just taking my wife's plates off her 99 and throwing them on, driving here and the next day getting a temp tag but I'm pretty sure that's illegal.

I wouldn't even attempt that as it's highly illegal and not only will cost you big, but you'll likely get the car towed on the spot.

Well the guy who I'm buying it from his dad works at a dealership so I could get a temp tag there. I know it's only like $20 and I could do that. I'll call the BMV Monday morning and ask them.

From http://www.kathyyordynotary.com/

Out of State Transfers

Not a Resident of Pennsylvania?

If you are NOT a resident of Pennsylvania but you purchased a vehicle with a Pennsylvania title, you can purchase a 30 day In-Transit tag. This cardboard tag is placed on the vehicle to enable you to transport the vehicle back to your state for titling and registration at your state's DMV. Both Seller(s) and Purchaser(s) signatures on the Pennsylvania title REQUIRE Notarization....NO EXCEPTIONS!

Please bring the following with you:

The Seller(s) to have their signatures notarized. They will need their valid Pennsylvania Driver's License for identification purposes.

The Purchaser(s) Personal Appearance as well as their current Driver's License.

Current Proof of Insurance.

Mileage of Vehicle

Don't quote me, but I think you are allowed to drive the car back with no plate with a bill of sale or something.

I'm quoting you because this is true. You can. I've done it. The dude that I sold my TA to drove it 4 hours home without a plate. Just have a bill of sale.

If you have a current set of plates you can use them with no issue. You still get 30 days to transfer them over. Make sure you have proof of coverage, and your title and/or a bill of sale. I do this on a regular basis and have zero issues. And yes I have been stopped like this.

Welp.. PA sucks. (Steelers don't count). I had to pay $65 bucks to some ragged old dude who put the mileage on the title (it was already notarized) and have me sign a few spots. Oh.. he gave me a temp tag too. Now I get to pay the Ohio DMV tomorrow to do the title work AND get another temp tag.

I shoulda just took the plates off my wife's 99 LS. We didn't even see ONE cop in any of the three states we were in.. in an 8 hour day.

Yeah it sucks. I paid $65 for a temp tag I can use for about a day. Awesome.

A temp tag should be good for 30 days regardless. And once hu go to the yle agency to get the type prograinted in your name you can just get hardplates. I don't see what you're claiming you need 2 temp tags?

A temp tag should be good for 30 days regardless. And once hu go to the yle agency to get the type prograinted in your name you can just get hardplates. I don't see what you're claiming you need 2 temp tags?

We'll see. The guy at the local dmv here said I need to come in and have the title done and such (I have a loan through Telhio on the one I just bought). I'm assuming since he's doing that he'll need to give me new temp tags?

I'm going to try and kill a few birds with one or two stones. My birthday is at the end of the money. All 4 cars I own are in my name. Registration. I'm hoping to just pay registration and title fees and such and just slap new tags/sticker on the '98 I just bought. OR.. wait until the end of the month when I hopefully sell my sons car and transfer his tags to my wife's car and her 99 LS tags to the 98 LS and then everything would be paid.

I'll call the DMV tomorrow and see what he says about me coming in before 30 days.

How would that work if I got a 30 day tag from PA and it expires on the 7th of June. My birthday is on May 31st. Say I sell the car on June 2nd. Would I be late registering the car since my birthday was already passed or I guess it would be pro-rated?

Have always just thrown a tag on and called it a day. Now that there are fewer station wagon / truck / non-comm / car / whatever catagories, even better.

Was harassed one time by a statey who pulled my wife over. I offered to meet them where she was pulled over with the Bill of Sale and she was let go. Out of many, many times, that was the only issue.

How would that work if I got a 30 day tag from PA and it expires on the 7th of June. My birthday is on May 31st. Say I sell the car on June 2nd. Would I be late registering the car since my birthday was already passed or I guess it would be pro-rated?

as far as i know, you have 30 days to get the title done for ohio, i dont know if that means you can drive on the pa temp tags, but i would think there would be no problem with it. now if your planning on moving the plates from one car to the other, you can only transfer plates from a car you just sold to a car you just bought. so to answer your question, you would need to register the plates on the car your going to sell, then just go pay the 4 dollar transfer fee once you sell the old car and put the plates on the new one. the registration carries over so there is no second registration fee.