Out of the box, ZL1 camaro runs 11's

Sturg1647545502

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2012/05/05/chevys-camaro-zl1-joins-11-second-club-video/?mod=WSJBlog&mod=WSJ_autoIndustry_Driversseat

VIDEO: http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1280283126001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAA9K3O_eE~,BF-rjVZt6dyR5DIA5zxHwxbIuWQAPTjb&bctid=1620178657001

Chevrolet’s new Camaro ZL1 has set a number of performance benchmarks that are likely to excite speed-addled car fans. Now the car maker can add an 11-second quarter mile sprint to the list.

Actually the car’s elapsed time of 11.93 seconds was just a smidgen under the 12-seconds, but in drag racing being “in the elevens” is a big deal, especially for a factory-built car without extensive modifications. The car that set the 11.93 mark was equipped with factory-issued Goodyear Eagle tires, though the tires were custom developed and manufactured for this particular Camaro model.

In a way the 580-horsepower ZL1’s speed at the drag strip was almost “too fast” for National Hot Rod Association-sanctioned tracks. Rules require cars that complete the quarter mile in 11.49 or less to have five-point roll bars for safety. Some Camaro owners who install special racing tires or make other speed boosting changes may wind up having to install the roll bar as well.

General Motors engineers did the testing, and the ZL1 with an automatic transmission posted the best time and finished its run at 116 miles per hour. The stick-shift version ran an 11.96 at 117 mph. The ZL1 also accelerates from zero to 60 mph in four seconds, has a top speed of 184 mph and can lap Germany’s Nürburgring race track in 7:41.27.

The ZL1 is on sale now with a starting price of $54,995 that includes a $900 freight charge. The six-speed automatic transmission is a $1,185 option. The ZL1 convertible goes on sale this summer.

You can watch a video of the 11-second run.

The car that set the 11.93 mark was equipped with factory-issued Goodyear Eagle tires, though the tires were custom developed and manufactured for this particular Camaro model.

They were running Mickey Drag Radials. Saying it was on stock rubber is just dumb. Look at the slips for the 6-spd car and the 60's are 1.69 and 1.7x.

What?

Watch the video. It shows them swapping wheels and tires for the passes. Stock rubber my ass.

At work so the videos are blocked. If that's the case, they should really quote the numbers with the stock tires. Tire tech has come a long way but a tire that handles well will always sacrifice some long grip compared to a tire purpose built for drag racing. My understanding is that the ZL1 and GT500 are built to not only go fast in a straight line, but around corners too. Them quoting ring times for the ZL1 backs this up. So they can't quote ring times with the stock tires that are meant to handle well and drag times with aftermarket tires in the same article without a bunch of qualifiers. There seem to be no qualifiers in that article, that's just dishonest and/or shitty reporting.

At this point, I would be really interested to see what times they could get out of the stock tires, compared to the drag radials. A big difference would highlight what I think a lot of people are thinking, this high of HP in RWD applications is a little wasteful (and some AWD system may be needed).

The way I see this is the car ran the released times on the stock tires, however they tested with a set of drag radials to verify there is no power hop or driveline issues but will not be releasing those times. Typically all manufacturer released specs are on a completely stock car, down to the tire pressure. Otherwise, you buy the car, don't run those times, make those dyno numbers, etc. and you sue.

GM has a history of publishing very hard to reproduce times. I remember the C5 Z06 was almost always .2-.4 slower than Chevy released, in almost every article, comparison, etc.

I'd be interested to know the above as well.