New to Bikes

School me. I got bit by the bug last September when I got on my uncles' BMW 650cc for all of 3 minutes. I need to get some miles/hours on a bike to get my learn on, but I don't want to spend a mint to do it.

I also am a big guy (6'3" 280lbs) so I'm not gonna get anything I'll look stupid on.

Lets say for shits and giggles I can spend up to $2000 on a bike that I'll likely get rid of after the summer, since I'll want to get a real bike next year once I'm experienced.

Advice for someone in my position?

I would say look for a FZR600/1000 but they are getting harder to find, 250 is out of the question and price for a newer one.

Doesn't need to be newer or anything. Hell, something with some damage might even be better as I'll probably fuck up at least once.

Does it matter what style of bike you get right now?

I think a cruiser would probably be better/safer than a sport bike for my skill level. When I was on my uncle's I felt very comfortable getting up to speed and everything but I didnt head out on the main roads or do much turning. I know there's a lot to learn and that overconfidence will be deadly, so thats why I'm turning to CR for advice.

Have you searched craigslist motorcycle section with entering $2k as your max price? I am sure you will get a few cruiser style bikes that would be great to learn on.

I'm on CL, cycletrader, et al. There's almost too much to choose from, ranging in age from early 80s to late 2000s with lots of miles and/or salvage title.

Other friends have said "make sure its nothing too huge" "make sure its still got rubber on the tires" "make sure you get something with [x y or z feature]".

Conventional wisdom seems to be that you should buy a bike you don't care about to learn on and then sell it when you're ready to upgrade. I think if you're a responsible person and ride within your limits you might as well go for a bike you actually like. My Buell XB12R was my first bike and I never had any issues. A newer bike is porbably less likely to have issues that could potentially be a safety hazard.

I think if I had bought a shitty bike or a severely underpowered one I wouldn't have had as much fun.

I wouldnt think with the budget your working with that you have alot of options for this or that. See what interests you off CL and go take a look at a few and sit on them. I would only buy a cheap older cruiser to learn on if I felt it had the maintenance kept up with and after I it served its purpose I could get most of my money back out of it. Get something dirt cheap and safe then if you still have the bug in fall buy something newer when the prices drop. I bought a bike a few years ago(first) and always thought I would enjoy riding and being that type of guy. After a few months it lost almost all interest for me.

they have two wheels, are extreamly fun and i have only read the title of this thread.

jsut buy anything that is in safe working condition. you will drop it, so don't buy anything nice. for example my first road bike was a nighthawk 450 made one year after i was born.

plenty of shit from the 80s and 90s that will more than meat your requirements. If you need help in what to look for when buying a bike, take someone with you who knows theirs shits.

meat

I wouldnt think with the budget your working with that you have alot of options for this or that. See what interests you off CL and go take a look at a few and sit on them. I would only buy a cheap older cruiser to learn on if I felt it had the maintenance kept up with and after I it served its purpose I could get most of my money back out of it. Get something dirt cheap and safe then if you still have the bug in fall buy something newer when the prices drop. I bought a bike a few years ago(first) and always thought I would enjoy riding and being that type of guy. After a few months it lost almost all interest for me.

This + twistedfocus's advice is exactly what I'm looking for. TY!

edit: OMG HOW DID I FORGET ABOUT VESPA IM TOTALLY GONNA GET ONE WITH FLOWERS AND HANDLEBAR TASSLES AND A BASKET SO MY MALTE-POO CAN RIDE WITH ME

This + twistedfocus's advice is exactly what I'm looking for. TY!

edit: OMG HOW DID I FORGET ABOUT VESPA IM TOTALLY GONNA GET ONE WITH FLOWERS AND HANDLEBAR TASSLES AND A BASKET SO MY MALTE-POO CAN RIDE WITH ME

That was a legit suggestion Faggot.

I rock a scoot.

My experience with several buddies is the Honda shadow line seems to be very affordable, and you don't have to worry about power as they really don't have any. They have picked up early 2000's shadows with low mileage in mint shape for low 2k. Youre not out much if you lay it down, easy to unload when you're done with it and seem to be pretty reliable.

I bought a 99 R1 as my first bike which most suggest is to much but if you respect the bike and the learning curve you can grow into anything. I've been riding about 3 years and yet to have any issues. Cruisers will be cheaper on insurance but get something that you like and are comfortable on.