iPhone and LTE

Putty

My dads iPhone was stolen, so he got it replaced today with a new 4S. Since when did they work on the 4G LTE network??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/CLovaR1/290054cc.jpg

Google. All they did was replace the 3G logo with the 4G logo, speeds didn't change.

Yes/No. They did just update the logo to 4G based on standards that changed but the speed of the 4s is better. The 4s is able to take advantage the 14.4 Mbps HSDPA higher speed downlink packet access technology. The existing iPhone 4 is limited to 7.2 Mbps. We have both at work, and my AT&T 4G runs faster than the standard 4.

It's not LTE yet. We are in process of upgrading our people to iPad 3's and there I can say the speed differences is amazing. I love me the iPad LTE Speeds.

Yes/No. They did just update the logo to 4G based on standards that changed but the speed of the 4s is better. The 4s is able to take advantage the 14.4 Mbps HSDPA higher speed downlink packet access technology. The existing iPhone 4 is limited to 7.2 Mbps. We have both at work, and my AT&T 4G runs faster than the standard 4.

It's not LTE yet. We are in process of upgrading our people to iPad 3's and there I can say the speed differences is amazing. I love me the iPad LTE Speeds.

Except ATT is killing HSPA+ and building LTE :)

My wife's 4S really does benchmark downloads speeds almost twice as fast as my 4 on 3G even though it's the same "fake 4G" (non-LTE) everyone else has been selling for a couple of years.

Except ATT is killing HSPA+ and building LTE :)

Everyone is moving to faster LTE or like networks. Is it that you're implying that HSPA+ devices will just stop working some day? That's not my understanding nor something I would believe. Last I heard AT&T is committed to both HSPA+ and LTE technologies and when LTE Device go outside LTE areas they will fall back to HSPA+ speeds.

Just saw this

Apple changes name of ‘iPad WiFi + 4G’ to ‘iPad WiFi + Cellular’ in many countries following international criticism

Link:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/12/apple-changes-name-of-ipad-wifi-4g-to-ipad-wifi-cellular-worldwide-following-international-criticism/

That's not my understanding. Last I heard AT&T is committed to both HSPA+ and LTE technologies and when LTE Device go outside LTE areas they will fall back to HSPA+ speeds.

They may very well be, but with Verizon pushing to VoiceOverLTE (VoLTE), the need to have a EVDO/HSPA Network, and an LTE Network is very minimal.

Obviously to support legacy devices, you will need to maintain the other network, but Verizon has already said their LTE Network will be larger than their EVDO Network by the end of this year. It may be a 5-10 year time frame until EVDO/HSPA is phased out entirely, but I wouldn't expect them to dump much more money into HSPA/HSPA+/HSDPA. Pretty much if you have it, you have it. If you don't, don't expect it, and wait until LTE comes your way.

My wife's 4S really does benchmark downloads speeds almost twice as fast as my 4 on 3G even though it's the same "fake 4G" (non-LTE) everyone else has been selling for a couple of years.

HSPA+ should be faster than HSPA. Really it is a simple license you purchase on the back end. LTE is the wireless technology of the future though.