LS1 connecting rods

gbracing81

Dear Scott,

I have a question regaurding stock LS1 connecting rods. Since they are fracture cap rods, can they be reused? I need to take a stock rod and piston from one engine and use it in another engine that spun a rod bearing. Any help on this subject is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Can't resize a cracked cap. Have it checked for roundness. If its good then a bearing anf ur ready to roll.

To resize a rod the rod and cap get ground down and rebored to stock specs. Cracked caps don't have that ability. To my understanding. But unless the rods have had bad bearing or way overheated u will likley be ok.

From what I've seen guys have reused stock rods, I've heard of them being resized with arp bolts because of increased clamping force but I believe the only machining takes place on the big end of a torqued rod instead of the end and cap mating surfaces. I am always for DIY projects but your idea of taking a piece from another motor as a bandaid is ghetto at the least. If its apart grab these http://store.katechengines.com/mobile/products.aspx?RowID=25&StoreType=BtoC they are going in my stock rod/crank/piston max effort setup. If I had to take one apart use the katech bolts since they go on at the same torque and do not require resizing. However at the bare minimum have the bores checked and atleast hone and rering the motor. Just becareful overboring, 97/98s can't be bored and 99 plus atleast 346c.I. can only go .10 safely. Also a ls6 oil pump and careful assembly and shell be good for 7k rpm.

My best advice is to talk to a good machine shop about the rods. I felt as though the stock rods, while strong, do not stand up to any loads other then what is meant for them, what I mean is they cannot be dropped, or have the wrist pins pressed in and out with out the proper procedure. It is my understanding that there are machine shops out there reconditioning the stock rods, but I have no first hand experience. I either replace the whole engine at the dealership, or put some cheap H-beams in an engine I'm building.

Thank you everyone, I do appreciate the help. This is not for my own personal car. I am helping a friend on a very tight budget to get his car back to a driving point. He would much rather build a stout stroker with a turbo but for now how just wants to be able to drive the car.