Bird in my yard...

Rocky31186

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updates?

You could put it back in the tree or just leave it. If its still even there. I would imagine today will be filled with attempts at flying again. Hell, throw it gently in to the air if the mother Robin comes to swoop at you again. You'll be helping it with lift.

Or

You could also just let it be and let nature takes it course to whatever end. I had some house finches build a nest right outside my back door. They had 3 and I knew one of them would die. I kept fighting the urge to help with the feeding (they love dandelion seeds!) but fought the urge. It happens for a reason.

If you get really bored and feel sorry for it, you can feed it some earthworms. Actually, I was watching one of the new robins in my backyard hunt for her own food today.

This is what I imagine happened to Rocky

Rocky freaking out

:lol: That was almost what I looked like when I was using the stick

what a asshole parent

but if anyones ever met rocky hes not a small dude so this would make for some funnnyyyy video :lol:

:lol: yah, I can only imagine the video outcome..

The bird is still in the yard, hes in the corner now.. It seems the other birds are finding worms for it on this rainy day..

found a baby sparrow that fell out of its nest, couldn't find the nest anywhere around the area. I put it in a box and fed it overnight with some crushed up food that petsmart told me to make for baby birds then took it to the animal shelter. They emailed me a few weeks later telling me the released it and it was healthy. I just didnt want it to get eaten by all the neighborhood cats that I so despise

If you need a man built like a giraffe to come and help. Let me know.

Fixed that for you...

Show its parents that you care for it, that you're not just trying to get it back to your nest on the first night. Maybe bring it some worms and some water, take it slow. As time goes on the parents will grow to trust you, and then you can make your move. As you and the bird cohabitate, your differences will be resolved.

A friend of mine is an avid ornithologist and i asked her how to handle this today.

Me: how to handle a robin that has tried to take flight flew a bit and fell halfway through its flight (its a younge bird learning to fly) Google is driving us all bonkers trying to decided what th to do. It fell out yesterday, and is still alive and on the ground today.

Her: That's fairly normal. The mom and dad will actually continue to feed and supervise it after it has fledged (ie left the nest) (hence the name "fledgling"). Don't stress. Also remember that 75% of baby birds usually don't make it.. Let nature takes its course.

Me: Is ti wrong to put it back in the nest with gloves?

he has dogs and is afraid to let them in the yard for fear of them hurting it

Her:You don't need gloves. Birds can't smell. If you put it in the nest, it will just try to leave again. It's normal for it to leave, but still hang close to the nest and let its parents continue to feed it. Sometimes it takes several more days before it's ready to move off on its own.

A friend of mine is an avid ornithologist and i asked her how to handle this today.

Thank you for the info. I've been keeping an eye on it.. and Im almost sure once I put it back in the nest it will jump back out thinking "That was fun!".

When its raining, normally the birds are hiding. Today they are all out on my fence and around the baby. So I'm thinking it will lean how to fly soon and be gone.

The baby was hanging out on my fence earlier.. The dogs flew out the door when I opened it. They went to the bathroom then got on the smell trail. My younger boxer couldnt locate the smell, she was just looking around like WTF. And it was right behind her.

She went over to it a couple times to smell it and left it alone.

One of the parents came flying over screaming so I got the dogs in. Then she jumped on the fence and fed the baby.

I was not ready with the camera, so picture came out like shit.

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr133/probin007/june2012.jpg

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr133/probin007/june20123.jpg

Edited by Rocky31186

I found one mowing the other day and keep a few 3-4 feet away from it with the mower and later that day I found him dead. He was cute and just watched me going around him like it was fun for him. I too keep my dog in the front.

She probably didn't want to get into details with you, but some birds, for example vultures, can smell. However, yes, for the most part, they cannot detect human scent. Just extra info for those who like some extra learnings.

Pick it up and put it back in nest. Its a myth that human contact will deter the adults from having contact with their young.

This, an established bird expert told me the same thing.