Locking lug key lost;Removal help

ODoyle

My dad lost the key to his Ram's lugs. I bought the generic tool from JEGS and got one off. The rest on on there pretty good. I tried to bang a socket on and it just spins. Ive used 6 and 12 points. How the fuck do I get these off?:mad:

I got a generic Performance Tool set and it only goes up to a 1" It needs to be a little larger. I dont want to break the studs or damage the wheel. Im just putting regular lugs back on.

air hammer the lugs in the left (off) direction amd pmce it comes loose they will be easy to spin off. we do this all the time at work have never had a stud break. or advanced auto or somehwere else that rents out tools may have a more complete set

air hammer the lugs in the left (off) direction amd pmce it comes loose they will be easy to spin off. we do this all the time at work have never had a stud break. or advanced auto or somehwere else that rents out tools may have a more complete set

I've done this. They arent coming off. I need a larger tool,these lugs are huge.

what about using the air hammer with a chisel bit to try to split the lug. sometimes that works for the really stuck ones. if you have room though.

I have never once had to resort to that. I have always used the type of twist socket Steve mentioned.

Is it a 21mm lug? This is what I have always used: http://www.mactools.com/ShopOnline/Product/tabid/120/productid/319176/variantid/309935/Default.aspx

If you can't do it yourself, most tire oriented shops will have the twist sockets to handle the job. If Jimmy is still at Mr. Tire at Polaris, I know for a fact that he has the sockets.

I was suggesting a last resort if he was in a pinch.

That's fine, but you'll likely cause more damage than it's worth if you resort to an air hammer. It's best to use the correct tool for the job and, if necessary, let professionals handle things.

x2, If my snap on lug remover slips, I use the air hammer. Cut a corner into the lug nut, and spin it to the left and it will come right off..

This IS how the professionals do it..

x2, If my snap on lug remover slips, I use the air hammer. Cut a corner into the lug nut, and spin it to the left and it will come right off..

This IS how the professionals do it..

Maybe some professionals, but not me or any of the guys I have ever worked with/managed/sold tools to. In my time working on cars, I have only seen one car we couldn't get the wheel off of. In that case, which was exceptional, we had to cut the damn thing off. It is not worth the risk of damaged to the wheel just to use an air hammer (one slip can really fuck up a wheel). Take your time and you'll be able to get it off. Like most things, their are many ways to get the job done. There are some ways that I prefer over others.

Maybe some professionals, but not me or any of the guys I have ever worked with/managed/sold tools to. In my time working on cars, I have only seen one car we couldn't get the wheel off of. In that case, which was exceptional, we had to cut the damn thing off. It is not worth the risk of damaged to the wheel just to use an air hammer (one slip can really fuck up a wheel). Take your time and you'll be able to get it off. Like most things, their are many ways to get the job done. There are some ways that I prefer over others.

Same here. I have seen guys do the air hammer trick and I have also seen guys destroy a customer's wheel. I bought the set for doing it properly and we only had one wheel we couldn't get off. We ended up taking the center bearing cap off and pulling the drum and wheel off. Even once it was on the ground and we could try different methods, it never came apart. The customer bought a new wheel and drum.

I'm going to take it to a shop today' date='maybe I can slip a guy $15 or $20 under the table to do this for me.[/quote']

I bought a whole set of the from Craftsman/Sears a while back, before JEGS had tools like this. I don't recall what the largest size in the set was but it was pretty big, possibly larger than the 1" in the PT set.

I'd say you could just borrow mine but that's one of the things I lost in my last move somehow.

Yeah I guess "some professionals" are different than ASE certified mechanics that have been doing this type of repair for years..

Just as an FYI, the Tech section is not a place for random arguments. I have been doing this for about a decade, although I no longer work on cars. The guys I worked with/managed have been working on cars, often as ASE certified master techs, for 10-30 years.

As I said, there exist a variety of ways to accomplish the same task. In this case, one method is significantly less risky and equally successful. Sure, it can take longer sometimes, but that does not reduce its value as a technique. Using an air hammer, which is often difficult to control with any real accuracy, is not a good method here.

O'Doyle, hopefully they can get you taken care of quickly and easily.

Both slip sockets and air chissels work. The slip sockets work well in most instances but if you have the skill and experience the chissel will do it right. I'm decent with an air chissel but i know some guys who can take most of a car apart and not damage shit. Patience and nice sharp tips help. My vote goes to the chisel because in my experience the twist sockets don't work too well on the spline type lugs unless they are loose already.

Take a impact socket that is slightly smaller than the lug nut and tap it on the lug nut. You will get them all off and it doesn't fuck up your wheels. I have done this for many people who have lost their keys. I had to even prove to a master tech that this worked after he had already CUT the first wheel off.