Need a new computer, is this a good deal?

Littleguy

So, I need to buy a new desktop computer and I'm trying to stay under $500. So far I've found this and was wondering what you guys thought.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1933603&Sku=D211-11012&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot#

I will mainly be using it for internet/playing HD movies/tv.

Thanks in advance.

honestly you could build yourself something far better for less or same price. if you are able to use some of your current parts like hard drive cd/dvd drives etc etc depending on age of your current system. gimmie me a few and i will throw something together give you a idea of pricing.

ok basic upgrades.... prices are from microcenter.

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor 189.99

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard 159.99

Kingston HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600)(Two 4GB Memory Modules) 79.99

puts you at $458.99

depending on what you can use from your old computer you need case($30-$40), power supply ($70-$80), hard drive ($90-$100) and windows software (you can get win 7 home for 99.99). oh and a cd/dvd drive ($20-$30)

far as video goes. for now you can use the integrated graphics. till you have money for/decide on a video card. before i get the, OMG YOU CANT RUN ANYTHING ON INTEGRATED GRAPHICS!!! comment i have the 1 gen older z68 asus board. i am running the int graphics right now. i can run WOW on good/high settings with no prob and star wars kinghts of the old republic on lower settings. i haven't decided for sure on a card yet myself.

i know that the total prices are higher then the pc you are looking at but its WELL worth it. also gives you more options for upgrades down the road.

Edited by Spidey2721

honestly you could build yourself something far better for less or same price.

Sorry, But this is no longer true. PC manufacturers get such a bulk discount that its impossible to even come close to beating pre built systems nowadays.

OP, that is a good deal. Dell, believe it or not, sells very good products

Sorry, But this is no longer true. PC manufacturers get such a bulk discount that its impossible to even come close to beating pre built systems nowadays.

OP, that is a good deal. Dell, believe it or not, sells very good products

if you are able to use some of your current parts like hard drive cd/dvd drives etc etc

the mb cpu ram upgrade is same price and a upgrade even over the can'd pc. i still cant vote for a can'd pc they have some much crap on em slowing em down and running a i-3 ew.

I'm not going to be able to use any current parts since I don't have a desktop right now. I'm open to putting something together myself, I just feel like the cost, once I get software, is going to be higher. I'm going to call you Thorne.

I saw this one on the lenovo link, but I'm not sure how it compares to the original one I posted and the hard drive is tiny:

http://outlet.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/outlet_us/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=445&Code=7373X06

It's almost always cheaper to build your own p.c And Dell uses shitty mobos I would never buy a dell if my life depended on it. for the 400$ you linked on that out dated core 2 pc I would build a AMD APu or AMD six core.

got this in the microcenter email toady thought i would drop it buy. its a i5 vs the i3 in the one you listed....

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0378290

and a dell xps i7 with a Radeon HD 6450 vid card. for a decent amount more though.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0373551

the mb cpu ram upgrade is same price and a upgrade even over the can'd pc. i still cant vote for a can'd pc they have some much crap on em slowing em down and running a i-3 ew.

i get the bloatware bullshit part. Thats why i have my own windows 7 CD and key.