More Ecoboost tuning

BradyPPC

We have been doing more and more Ecoboost trucks lately. These trucks are flat out impressive! They pick up nicely as well :)

http://pickupspluscars.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6489&g2_serialNumber=1

There were 3 calibration updates from Ford since this truck was originally manufactured. So before tuning, we went ahead and loaded the latest updates and did a few more pulls. The truck actually picked up pretty well with just the oem calibration updates.

http://pickupspluscars.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6493&g2_serialNumber=1

From there we went straight into tuning. The truck picked up nicely across the board with gains of 63 lb/ft and 72 hp coming at 6k rpm!

http://pickupspluscars.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6496&g2_serialNumber=1

The truck picked up roughly 42hp and 47 tq peak compared to the original calibration the truck came in with.

http://pickupspluscars.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6499&g2_serialNumber=2

• 3 weeks later...

I got an email from the owner of this truck today. Just thought i would share it. It made my day!

Brady,

The 2011 Ecoboost is running great! I only disappointed I waited this long to have it tuned. The guys at work have been really impressed with how the truck feels now. The transmission shifts firm and responds when you accelerate. I am not a easy person to please but I have no complaints on this and that's saying a lot. Thanks again. I will try to send you as much referral business as possible.

best regards

Mike

Can you tune the Ecoboost Flex too?

Should be able to. If you shoot me over the year and the pcm id (should be on a white sticker on the pcm) I could tell you for sure. Im 99% sure it wouldnt be a problem. I havent tuned anything outside of the F150 and the SHO's with the ecoboost in it but typically the control system doesnt change much between the platforms.

Does the factory update cost anything or can I just drive it to the dealership and have it done?

You would have to call your service advisor about an update. This truck was a very early '11 model and there were several updates since the orginal cal in the truck was released. I would say the gains on this truck from the oem update would be out of the ordinary on most trucks....Most trucks would most likely see minor driveability improvements only and there are probably some background issues that get resolved that most people would never know about. I would not excpect the same gains from a late '11 model or 2012 model.

You would have to call your service advisor about an update. This truck was a very early '11 model and there were several updates since the orginal cal in the truck was released. I would say the gains on this truck from the oem update would be out of the ordinary on most trucks....Most trucks would most likely see minor driveability improvements only and there are probably some background issues that get resolved that most people would never know about. I would not excpect the same gains from a late '11 model or 2012 model.

OK. I bought mine in Nov of 2011 so I will take a look at the Mfg date on it to see when it was actually built and go from there.

Thanks for the info.

OK. I bought mine in Nov of 2011 so I will take a look at the Mfg date on it to see when it was actually built and go from there.

Thanks for the info.

No problem. If you pm me the info on the sticker on the pcm, I can tell you what the latest revision of the calibration should be.

So does it boost spike a little there about 3500? Looks really good though, makes me think about considering a Ford for my next truck. Pretty cool what you can get.

Basically as it comes up on boost, the factory wastegate control pulls back and drops boost about 2 psi and then it comes right back up and levels off. It does the exact same thing on the factory tune. The factory wastegate control is a little slow to respond and there isnt a ton of resolution to work with. I would rather have it pull back more aggressively than spike hard.

• 5 months later...