When to euthanize a dog?

PRD2BDF

there's nothing 'natural' about what you're describing. think of what happens to a wounded, old, or 'unfit' animal in the wild---it meets a quick end at the hands of a predator. that is what would be considered natural.

Truth. I had a pretty in depth discussion about dogs in general with a friend of mine who is a professional trainer and how people/companies are on this whole, "all natural" kick with animals. Dog food advertisements showing a dog finding a bag of this perfect dog food in the middle of the woods and stuff like that. The fact is, dogs are so far removed from "natural" it's not even funny. We have taken an animal, bred it for certain traits, and force it to live in a human environment, eating food made by humans, breathing toxic air made by humans, drinking water treated with chemicals by humans, blah blah blah. Not saying you shouldn't have a dog, or try to give it the best food, air, water you can afford, but just don't think that anything 99% of human beings do for/to/with dogs is "natural."

I took her to the vet today. I decided to euthanize her. The vet reported a weight loss of 15 lbs, a fever of 102. The vet reported bloody stool and maggots developing in her private areas. At that point, I just knee that I needed to end it to allow her to escape.

I was petting her as her heart stopped. As much as it hurt me, I just knew it was the best thing I could give her.

I will miss her terribly.

You may have been dumb, half deaf, and half blind but you were my first dog I raised.

RIP Beemer.

Dude, I am deeply sorry. My wife and I had to put here 2yr old rottweiler down a couple years ago. One day he was perfectly fine, 2 days later, the vet at OSU Emergency Vet is teilling us he had this rare disease causing his immune system to attack itself and cause the red bloos cells and white blood cells to separate. We went from having a pup who was healthy but not feeling good to having to feel and watch the life leave him in a matter of 2hrs. 2nd hardest thing I have ever experienced in my 28yrs on this earth. It will get better with time. Cliche I know, but it's true. Hang in there dude.

I took her to the vet today. I decided to euthanize her. The vet reported a weight loss of 15 lbs, a fever of 102. The vet reported bloody stool and maggots developing in her private areas. At that point, I just knee that I needed to end it to allow her to escape.

I was petting her as her heart stopped. As much as it hurt me, I just knew it was the best thing I could give her.

I will miss her terribly.

You may have been dumb, half deaf, and half blind but you were my first dog I raised.

RIP Beemer.

Sorry for the loss of your puppy. :(

I am nearing this every day now..

Today after i read this, i went and laid down next to my baby who's been getting weaker and weaker over the last few months, had a little cry while i hugged her and she fell back asleep in my arms.. She never does that.

im so sorry for your loss and feel your pain as well , just know you did what was right by her. i had my chow almost 17 yrs when i had to do it and it took a good friend and the vet to convince me it was for the best . i as well stayed with her the whole time , wouldnt be right to do it any other way

RIP Beemer

I'm very sorry for your loss, but it definitely sounds like you made the right choice. Losing a dog is one of the most painful things to deal with, in my opinion.

Very sorry to hear about this, but after reading the vet report, you made the right decision. She would have only suffered the longer you prolonged it.

Losing a pet is extremely hard. Our older Pitbull it getting Arthiritis in his joints, and has a small murmer in his heart right now. We know we only have a couple years left with him, and it sucks already. Can't imagine how bad it is going to be the day he either passes on or we euthanize him.

Guest CARkid
sorry to hear man, that is a tough decision and experience. I cry thinking about when that time will come for my dogs and they are just 3 yrs and 1 yr. It was tough for me with previous dogs.