100 pound scrotum

SLOWLX

$1M to do the surgery? GTFO of here. Doctors are raping the dude. I'm sorry, I just don't see the reason for the costs on something like this.

I know right!!! Who cares how pretty it looks after it's done? Skip the cosmetic surgery and be happy you don't have a teenager swinging from your ball sack.

i can tell you the $1million dollar number is stupid and a gross over-exaggeration. surgeons have zero control over what they charge patients except in the case of cosmetic surgery---which this is NOT. it may seem like it, but they are removing, essentially, a tumor. which would be covered by normal insurance. i'm assuming this guy has no insurance, and not even on medicaid/medicare. he could apply for disability, get on medicare (quickly, too), and get the surgery for little cost to himself. anyone want to guess what the surgeon would ACTUALLY get paid for this?? i'll let a few people guess before i can tell you a 'ballpark' figure.

i can tell you the $1million dollar number is stupid and a gross over-exaggeration. surgeons have zero control over what they charge patients except in the case of cosmetic surgery---which this is NOT. it may seem like it, but they are removing, essentially, a tumor. which would be covered by normal insurance. i'm assuming this guy has no insurance, and not even on medicaid/medicare. he could apply for disability, get on medicare (quickly, too), and get the surgery for little cost to himself. anyone want to guess what the surgeon would ACTUALLY get paid for this?? i'll let a few people guess before i can tell you a 'ballpark' figure.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yWtMIN0siaM/TwSML2tVaJI/AAAAAAAAt4I/208SmMSe-ow/s1600/drevil.jpg

well, how many hours would you or another surgeon spend in the OR working on the guy? then i'll make my guesstimate

well, how many hours would you or another surgeon spend in the OR working on the guy? then i'll make my guesstimate

the payment system is based on medicare. medicare simply pays for a 'procedure'---not for how long it takes. i can do a knee replacement on a 120lb lady with moderate arthritis and it takes less than an hour. or i can do it on a 360lb person with a massive deformity on the leg, have to make twice the incision length, have to use custom metal components, and it takes 3 hours. i get paid the same amount. and that fee includes a pre-operative comprehensive office visit, and 3 months of follow-up visits. in a recent article that polled 500 people, they over-estimated the amount that surgeons were paid to do hip/knee replacements by a factor of 10. i'm only using this as an example because it is what i do.

insurance companies typically pay a percentage of medicare fees. this varies from company to company, from state to state, and from hospital to hospital. some companies might pay 300% of medicare in one state and 95% in other states. some hospitals/private groups might be able to negotiate a great deal with an insurance company if they have leverage, and some smaller groups might get a shitty deal. the system is so fucked up, it totally favors the insurance companies, the hospitals, and malpractice lawyers---physicians get fucked in the end. so when obama's plan aims to cut medicare rates by 5% in 5 years, it will lower payments from insurance companies more, not just only for people with medicare.

certainly, the case of the 100lb scrotum would most likely be incredibly complicated. the surgeon can use a 'modifier' to charge over the top of medicare rates if he has justification. sometimes by as much as 250-300%. it still is not going to be worthwhile for a surgeon to take on this case financially---i guarantee they will spend a whole operative day fixing this, and most likely have to take him back a few times once swelling has subsided/etc. and will most likely make less than $8k on the whole ordeal. the hospital charges CONSIDERABLY more because the fact he will be hospitalized for quite a while.

but, and correct me if im wrong, because im not a surgeon, you agree to the rates that you get paid at, correct? i mean, you dont have to work for a hospital that gets paid X Y or Z percent of whatever medicare pays, right? you could go and open a cash only practice and set your own prices? but how many people would go to that and pay the cash prices? it sounds like you're in a position now that works out best for you, otherwise, you wouldnt be doing it and you'd be doing something that pads your pockets much better.

dont take it the wrong way, because theres complaints with any profession, but i've seen pictures of your new enormous house, i'm pretty sure i've seen you post that its almost paid off, even though you've not been there long (few years?), i've seen your toys, i've seen your threads of going down to FL with your other buddies that have 6 figure boats, etc...i think a lot of people would be justified in telling you to "quitcherbitchin"

and even if that dude had to go back for 3 full days of surgery and a surgeon got paid $8,000, you know what i make in 3 full days when im working full time? about $325.

and even if that dude had to go back for 3 full days of surgery and a surgeon got paid $8,000, you know what i make in 3 full days when im working full time? about $325.

That's the difference between someone with a GED who started working at big lots when they were 16 and someone who went to high school, then undergrad, then got a doctorate, then did a residency, then did at least 1 fellowship (maybe 2, surgery and ortho?), and finally started working when they were 30+ with $x00,000k in school debt.

You could have chosen to be a surgeon too.

but, and correct me if im wrong, because im not a surgeon, you agree to the rates that you get paid at, correct? i mean, you dont have to work for a hospital that gets paid X Y or Z percent of whatever medicare pays, right? you could go and open a cash only practice and set your own prices? but how many people would go to that and pay the cash prices? it sounds like you're in a position now that works out best for you, otherwise, you wouldnt be doing it and you'd be doing something that pads your pockets much better.

dont take it the wrong way, because theres complaints with any profession, but i've seen pictures of your new enormous house, i'm pretty sure i've seen you post that its almost paid off, even though you've not been there long (few years?), i've seen your toys, i've seen your threads of going down to FL with your other buddies that have 6 figure boats, etc...i think a lot of people would be justified in telling you to "quitcherbitchin"

i'm not bitching for myself. i practice in one of the best states for medicine, with the best reimbursement. the insurance companies have hospitals/dr's by the balls. no one in this economy/country will pay cash for medical services--just won't happen, aside from plastic surgery. even if i was able to tell someone, pay me $4k, and i'll replace your knee---the cost of the hospital stay could be $40k--they're not going to pay cash for that. if you have a small, one-man practice, the insurance companies will give you the shittiest rates ever---why?? because if you don't accept their plan, who cares?? they have many other dr's available to treat their customers. small, privately owned groups have little/no bargaining power against insurance companies. insurance companies demand patients leave the hospital sooner than they should, they deny physical therapy for patients, they hold on to payments for one month after the service is complete, and make billions off the profit of being able to withhold payments for just one month. no other system works this way.

after going through 4 years of college, doing extremely well. 4 years of medical school, finishing in the upper 5-10% of that (in order to get into a very competitive field). 5 years of residency---working for what amounted to less than $10/hr. and a one year fellowship. i expect to be paid well, and enjoy some financial comfort. i'm 35 years old, 3 years into work, while my college buddies have been working for 15 years, earning towards retirement, etc.

the job is stressful (again, not complaining). americans are in shitty, shitty health overall, but demand much, much more than they did just 10 years ago. the amount of information a physician has to master in order to be effective has increased exponentially in the past 10 years.

keep in mind, when i say he 'could' make $8k, you have to figure his overhead could be 30-40%----that takes him down to $5k. then, uncle obama takes 27%----he's down to $3500 or so. surgeons usually operate 2 days a week--the other 3-4 days they are in office, and usually make minimal.

consider this---a veterinarian makes roughly 2 times what i do, to do a hip replacement on your dog. its both 100% true, and 100% sad at the same time