Non-original engines

PRD2BDF

Doesn't it bother you? Swapping in motors that was not original to the car regardless of the value of the car? It drives me crazy.

That was the main reason why I sold my old Bonneville because the motor blew and I swapped in a new motor. I just didn't feel like it was the car I bought so off it went.

Curious to see others viewpoints. I'm sure many would be "who gives a shit?"

Kind of. If I did all the work I wouldn't have a problem because I know if I cut corners or half-assed it or not. If someone else did it then I'll have a slight worry if they forgot something or did a shoddy job in general.

Kind of. If I did all the work I wouldn't have a problem because I know if I cut corners or half-assed it or not. If someone else did it then I'll have a slight worry if they forgot something or did a shoddy job in general.

This.

So long as i know what is going in the car, i dont mind. Mostly because i tear the new one down and check it before it goes in.

Depends on a few things, but overall I don't mind really. Just picture an engine getting head gaskets put on it, if someone does a shitty job with that it could be worse then putting a whole engine in a car. So in my opinion it isn't a major factor, especially if I did it. My Camaro is on its 6th transmission, 3rd rear axle, and 2nd engine, and the car gets complements every time I take it out. Not to mention its been on the frame rack twice getting fixed after I wrecked it. Honestly the crashes bother me more but I know it was fixed correctly. A car is a lot a person, a good doctor can take care of its issues, a bad doctor can kill it, and a good plastic surgeon can make it like nothing ever happened.

One of the things I like best about my Camaro is how many things I've done with it, the character it gives the car, and and the few scars we share. It's my car, and there's no denying it.

Depends on a few things, but overall I don't mind really. Just picture an engine getting head gaskets put on it, if someone does a shitty job with that it could be worse then putting a whole engine in a car. So in my opinion it isn't a major factor, especially if I did it. My Camaro is on its 6th transmission, 3rd rear axle, and 2nd engine, and the car gets complements every time I take it out. Not to mention its been on the frame rack twice getting fixed after I wrecked it. Honestly the crashes bother me more but I know it was fixed correctly. A car is a lot a person, a good doctor can take care of its issues, a bad doctor can kill it, and a good plastic surgeon can make it like nothing ever happened.

One of the things I like best about my Camaro is how many things I've done with it, the character it gives the car, and and the few scars we share. It's my car, and there's no denying it.

I almost cried reading this emotional piece of literature...

But seriously I feel the same way, like you have a relationship with your car.

The better you know each other, the better you will work together. Who cares what engine gets swapped in. Some of the best cars are swapped cars around here. :)

Some things bother me...like a Chevy motor in a Ford, or vice-versa. Any NON-Chevy GM musclecar with an SBC is annoying. You can build an Olds, Pontiac, or Buick motor just as easily as a Chevy, and quite probably get better results.

I INTENSELY dislike seeing SBCs in AMC cars unless it's an Iron Duke.

Now if it's a period-style rod...a Buick nailhead or Cadillac V-8 just looks RIGHT in a Deuce. An early Hemi looks even better....

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I love the really crazy ones too. There's an early 90's legacy that still has the factory AWD system, but is powered by a 13B rotary. Theres also a Fiero with a 4G63. The crazier the swap, the better.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I love the really crazy ones too. There's an early 90's legacy that still has the factory AWD system, but is powered by a 13B rotary. Theres also a Fiero with a 4G63. The crazier the swap, the better.

agreed. i like seeing what people can come up with, and how they get it ll to work/fit together.

Interesting to read others' opinions.

I thinks cars with 300k+ miles on original motors are cooler than cars with same miles but replaced motors. Same for cars with original motors that powered them to victory or whatever.

For your people, it's a requirement.

If we had a "Like" button on here it would be used for this statement.

I personally wouldn't buy a car knowingly without it's original engine unless I know almost everything there is to know about said platform and it's powertrains or it was some kind of aftermarket swap I know was done by a reputable person.

I am not against swapping an engine in an existing car like mine, then you have control over what happens and what goes into it. I'm looking at doing this on my car if I do decide to keep it much longer and I know what goes into it will be a far better engine than what it has now.

Doesn't bother me at all. I use to hate seeing a Chevy engine in an old Ford but not anymore. One of my favorite swaps is the Porsche 930 with an Ls7 in it.

That was great, but damn the guy with the cam is a redneck for sure.

Im biased, Currently almost done with my 240, Allot of people ask why but Im building it to drive. I have always wanted a smaller rwd car why not slap some mother fucking amurican power in it? Ls motors are fun and easy to work with and now with drifting picking up on it its almost buy and bolt.

Next year hopefully its an auto with a solid rear and one big turbo.

I has no problem with it,

My favorite swap is a M3

http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Projects/McCalls-BMW-E367-M-Roadster/i-VwMnhwS/0/M/DSC5680-M.jpg