Home insurance issue...

V8 Beast

Longer than usual post from me..

Back in 2004 I had a security system installed. As many of you know one of the selling points from the company providing the system is you can save money on your home owners insurance. This lead to contacting Travelers and sending over a copy of the information proving we had installed a security system. They told us we were not eligible for credits due to the way our policy was set up.

Fast forward to 2012... Travelers decides they want to raise my rates. I reference the 8 years of perfect pay history and 0 claims. I tell them that I thought being the kind of customer I am would come with discounts not increases. In an effort to save my business they asked if I have a security system. I told them to check their notes on that. The rep then said they messed up and we should have had a credit for the insurance the entire time. I faxed the information back in and they gave a credit for 7 months back.

Seeing as though I was told that I was not eligible for the credit in error, is it my fault for believing them? The notes verify that I was given wrong information... but since I didnt call back to check later on its apparently my fault.

There is a good chance that I may get a lawyer since its a few thousand dollars. The gray area comes in around the policy changing over the years. Since the policy did change in 2009 they feel it would be my responsibility to reach back out to them for a discount at that time. I tried to escalate but you know those companies that act like they dont have supervisors... travelers is one of those. :nono: I figure if I do go the legal route they wold have to pay back from at least 2004 - 2009. Thoughts? Seems like an easy one due to the notes and documents we have kept over the years.

p.s. I was willing to negotiate it out or work with a supervisor but they appeared to want me to go to legal. When I asked for a way to contact someone higher up I was given the fax number and address for legal :confused:

If their policy before 2009 was to not give a discount then I don't see why they would back pay from before then. If it were me and they backpay from the start of their policy to now and don't increase rates I'd be happy. If they refuse to back pay and/or still raise your rates, walk. There's ALWAYS cheaper insurance somewhere else.

They did and still give discounts. 2009 was when they sent information saying my policy had changed. The person I worked with initially messed up. He noted the account that I was not eligible for the discount when I was. Honest mistake, but dont mess up and blame it on me for not double checking.

Ask yourself this question, how many lawyers work for you? How many lawyers work for them?

That means nothing. If the little guy has proof the big guy settles to save time and money. It would be dumb to spend $6000 to stop me from getting $3000 when Ill settle for $2000....