Best non-lethal protection

Brrcats

So I've suggested many times that my gf get a handgun or shotgun for home protection. She isnt ready to do that yet and would rather get a non-lethal alternative.

I've never really looked at any of this stuff, so I'm hoping some people here have some experience. Tasers, mace, etc.

Any advice or experiences would be helpful

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I base me opinions strictly off how hard I laughed at the person.

Go to youtube and search both of them

Mace-funny as hell.

Tazers-not as funny.

My conclusion mace seems to work better. (disclaimer) I have no scientific evidence to back up this at all.

Why not get her set up to learn a skill set to defend herself? Mace/tasers def help, but in the end they're tools to grab. Being able to defend oneself in an encounter is more valuable than a can of pepper spray IMO...especially if God forbid you can't grab said tools (i.e. spray/mace/firearm).

Best non-lethal protection = using your brain.

Thankfully, I'm not worried about her putting herself into dangerous situations, but without getting into it, she has the need for protection.

Why not get her set up to learn a skill set to defend herself? Mace/tasers def help, but in the end they're tools to grab. Being able to defend oneself in an encounter is more valuable than a can of pepper spray IMO...especially if God forbid you can't grab said tools (i.e. spray/mace/firearm).

I definitely agree with this as well.

While I understand her interest in non lethal first and a hesitancy towards a real gun, I would ask her to put things in perspective. Here we're talking an intruder in your home right? To me that's a way more justified and serious concern to insure she has lethal force to confront that encounter.

Believe me, I have a CCW as does my wife, but it's the very, very last thing I would use in the field of daily life, with the one exception being my home. There I won't entertain a non lethal means as there's no question as to the intent of an intruder. Especially if someone is home.

I picked up my wife a Hot Shot Pepper gun which is a cloud of pepper driven by an enclosed CO2 cart. I did a bit of research on these and on top of some good old fashion quality pepper spray, it's what I chose for her to keep very handy. I have a thread on here around Nov-Dec. time frame on it. Killjoy posted some good stuff in it too. Search and good luck in the decision.

While I understand her interest in non lethal first and a hesitancy towards a real gun, I would ask her to put things in perspective. Here we're talking an intruder in your home right? To me that's a way more justified and serious concern to insure she has lethal force to confront that encounter.

Believe me, I have a CCW as does my wife, but it's the very, very last thing I would use in the field of daily life, with the one exception being my home. There I won't entertain a non lethal means as there's no question as to the intent of an intruder. Especially if someone is home.

I picked up my wife a Hot Shot Pepper gun which is a cloud of pepper driven by an enclosed CO2 cart. I did a bit of research on these and on top of some good old fashion quality pepper spray, it's what I chose for her to keep very handy. I have a thread on here around Nov-Dec. time frame on it. Killjoy posted some good stuff in it too. Search and good luck in the decision.

This would be for use in the home and potentially for use of the protection of her and the kids outside the home.

I'm obviously concerned about cross contamination that may come with some aerosolized sprays, I'm thinking a foam would be better in that case. After looking at the C2 that looks like a very good option as well.

I personally think she should have a lethal option, even if its a small caliber handgun, but she's worried about having a handgun with the children in the home.

thanks for the help, i'll see if I can dig up that old thread to look at.

Best non-lethal in home weapon? A good, big dog. Outside of that, look into the legality of tasers and mace guns. I was told that anything with a handle and trigger was considered a firearm in Columbus. (I called asking about the legality of archery within city limits. I was told bow yes crossbow no.)

This would be for use in the home and potentially for use of the protection of her and the kids outside the home.

I'm obviously concerned about cross contamination that may come with some aerosolized sprays, I'm thinking a foam would be better in that case. After looking at the C2 that looks like a very good option as well.

there is one in my thread that shoots a red colored gel but the accuracy requires more steady hand. distance is like 12-15ft. shaped like a gun too.

I personally think she should have a lethal option, even if its a small caliber handgun, but she's worried about having a handgun with the children in the home.

No doubt we were/are too. We have a 6 and 9 year old. precautions and education are definitely needed. We have handprint safes on every level with a handgun and the shotgun is secure in the home as well.

thanks for the help, i'll see if I can dig up that old thread to look at.

Best non-lethal in home weapon? A good, big dog. Outside of that, look into the legality of tasers and mace guns. I was told that anything with a handle and trigger was considered a firearm in Columbus. (I called asking about the legality of archery within city limits. I was told bow yes crossbow no.)

which would require a CCW?

here's my top 3 suggestions:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__NddmR2QiGo/TAzU93g-UCI/AAAAAAAAA4Q/TTKzmaRTTLw/s1600/36.jpg

http://www.meeb.com/assets/Pit-Bull-Attack-Attorney-NJ-and-PA-253x300.jpg

http://ces.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/trojan22pack.jpeg

NET GUN!!!!!

http://www.lawenforcementmall.com/images/superTalonproduct.jpg

followed up by

http://www.mook-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/1670659.jpg

i laughed.

seriously, having both mace and a tazer wouldnt be a bad idea. if the mace doesnt stop someone, a high enough voltage tazer would knock someone out.

i laughed.

seriously, having both mace and a tazer wouldnt be a bad idea. if the mace doesnt stop someone, a high enough voltage tazer would knock someone out.

Enough drugs renders both of those ineffective. Hell, alcohol can even lessen the effect of mace to a nuisance. Tazer you have one shot, better not miss. Stun guns put you in knife/fist/grabbing range.

I don't know of anyone that has built up a tolerance to bullets before.

Ohio state law preempts any local laws involving firearms. This means that any local laws involving firearms are null and void, including all the stupid shit Columbus had pulled over the years.

Kimber has a mace gun thing that's worth looking into

Enough drugs renders both of those ineffective. Hell, alcohol can even lessen the effect of mace to a nuisance. Tazer you have one shot, better not miss. Stun guns put you in knife/fist/grabbing range.

I don't know of anyone that has built up a tolerance to bullets before.

he is asking for non lethal though. hell, i would say use a 12 gauge with sodium shells. that would stop someone pretty quick.