Vibrations galore!

PRD2BDF

OK. Here's the story. I was forced off the road by a Trucker which resulted me hitting a deep pothole bending three wheels and bubbling two tires. The wheels and two tires were replaced.

Now the car exhibits a vibration beginning at about 50-55 MPH and continues on to higher speeds.

I have had the wheels rebalanced twice and I have had the new rears moved to the front and nothing has helped. I feel it mostly in the steering wheel ans you can see the steering g wheel vibrate a bit.

Its fucking annoying especially for a Deaf guy.

Tips that I can diagnose or at least eliminate possible suspects.

A good alignment tech should be able to tell if something is bent but no it shouldn't effect a vibration directly. If you think something is loose you or a good technician need to getit off the ground and give a good inspection.

Hmm. What else could cause vibration? I know it is not the brakes because I replaced them a few months ago and they don't vibrate under braking.

Would bent suspension parts be apparent if I tried to inspect?

Actually if something is bent in such a manner as it changed the alignment it is possible that it could change driveline angles or shorten the cv shaft enough to cause a vibration at speed. I've seen it on a few cars before.

Hmm. What else could cause vibration? I know it is not the brakes because I replaced them a few months ago and they don't vibrate under braking.

Would bent suspension parts be apparent if I tried to inspect?

Lower control arms, and the struts are the most common things to bend, or it shifted the cradle. Things like this can cause poor driveline angles like AJ said. It could be something tweaked about a CV axle (though I've never seen it personally but it is possible). Best thing would be to get it in the air and start looking.

Thought I would update this.

Did a check over of the car. Struts and springs looked fine. There was no apparent movement of the subframe. Checked both tie rod and wheel bearings for movement. There was no movement. Checked both lower control arms. No apparent damage or kinks.

I will be going to IPS for alignment on Tuesday

• 1 month later...

Update: had an alignment done and it really didn't help much. Today I had it jacked up and ran the motor at about 2,500 rpm.

The passenger front definitely wobbles bad but the driver side is just fine. The car also shakes its steering wheel as well.

Any ideas. My uncle who is a former mechanic isn't sure.

I've seen brand new tires, with a bad belt.

How many wheel weights are on the rim? They may have balanced to zero, but If it takes 8 oz of weights, it's not going to drive smooth.

Where did the wheels come from? New OEM?

What kind of tires were put on? Same ones you had?

No. The wheels are brand new from discount tire. The tires are non directional. The new tires were placed on back and it vibrated through my butt. Moved the new tiresup front and still vibrated but now through the steering wheel. My dumb ass never made the connection.

Rotated the fronts left to right and I figured it out plus you can easily see the wheel wobble. We did the chalk test. It seems mostly the wheel, not the tire.

No. The wheels are brand new from discount tire. The tires are non directional. The new tires were placed on back and it vibrated through my butt. Moved the new tiresup front and still vibrated but now through the steering wheel. My dumb ass never made the connection.

Rotated the fronts left to right and I figured it out plus you can easily see the wheel wobble. We did the chalk test. It seems mostly the wheel, not the tire.

Okay, well you keep looking elsewhere for that vibration even though you just found it.

Wheel Medic off I-71. I bought 4 new tires for the MS3 and couldn't believe that 3 of them were bad. I didn't believe it either.

Brought the car to them, and the older fellow out back, Jack, showed me very clearly. I took his word, bought 4 more new tires completely different brand. BAM...fixed. Returned the bad tires for credit.