Subaru BRZ Top Speed

PRD2BDF

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys realize it is gearing? It's geared for fuel economy. A shorter 6th ratio could get it to reach top speed quicker but cruising (65-75mph) RPM would be too high. They did this because unless you're seriously tracking it you wouldn't be likely to attempt to wind out 6th gear.

You guys realize it is gearing? It's geared for fuel economy. A shorter 6th ratio could get it to reach top speed quicker but cruising (65-75mph) RPM would be too high. They did this because unless you're seriously tracking it you wouldn't be likely to attempt to wind out 6th gear.

We all understand its not made to do what this guy did... But its still funny, and boring that it takes that long to get up to top speed..

so, you can pick up a show room stock 1999 BMW 328i 4dr sedan for under $5k these days, and have a car that i imagine handles just as good, has a remarkable interior and amenaties for the passengers, stylish, popular appearance and name, room for more people and stuff... and roast a subacion in just about any type of performance activity as well. :lol:

This needed to be quoted.

It's not even geared well for freeway cruising. My rough math has that car sitting at 3,000rpm @ ~70mph, just like my 3.

I wonder how many of you watched the entire vid.. :rolleyes: I can tell who didn't...

Also, the guy wasn't attempting to get there as fast as possible (not exactly on a closed course, not to mention hills, etc. You know, since the Earth isn't flat). The point was to simply find the top speed.

As far as "my grandmother reaches that speed faster in her Tempo", etc., two things:

1. Unless your car is more aerodynamic and/or has proportionately more hp to overcome said aerodynamics, then no, it's not faster. I don't give a shit what you think. ;)

2. If your car is better aero/more hp, then of course, dumbass, it should get to top speed faster. What's your point?

It's a 200hp CRANK car weighing almost 2800 lbs w/o driver. How fast is it supposed to get to top speed? haha

For the record, I had my 1999 bmw 328i, bone stock, family sedan to 147mph on I-71 between cbus and akron, back in like 2005...

I was going to say something similar. My (previous car) B5 S4 (2000) was electronically limited to 155mph with only 250hp, so only 50 more hp than the BRZ, but weighed 3600lbs, versus the BRZs 2600-2700lbs. The BRZ should have about a whole integer better power to weight ratio, and I don't see how the aero of a E36 BMW or B5 Audi could be better than the BRZ.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4065/4474875022_347ec9a57e_z.jpg?zz=1

That was you taking pictures?

I'll tell ya. It's such a disappointment that I couldn't fit my new mower in the trunk. It's a push mower too. Not like i was trying to haul a ride-on. Sheesh.

Watching this video lowered my blood pressure. It's a miracle!

Where are the vid's of this thing on the Tail of the Dragon or at a road course where we can see what kind of speed it carries through the corners?

PS. Yes, my google is broken.

Cool looking, can appreciate the handling, but that was painful to watch. Even Fusion Sport rips through speed from 65 to it's 126mph limiter and bounces off it like a wall. Again, to it's credit, I'm sure it would make my DD'er feel like it corners like a bowl of jello.

1990 Miatas corner great as well. :gabe:

1990 Miatas corner great as well. :gabe:

and for $30k can do everything else well, too.

I'm clearly not trying to say this car is what the fan boys say it is, but it's never fair to compare used car prices not new car prices. Especially when the used car is almost old enough to rock collector plates.

The funniest part, I think, is that the hype seems to have worked better on the haters than the fans. No-one at FT86CLub thinks this is a fast car, but the haters try so hard to prove it isn't. Meanwhile us owners are going "Yeah... so?"

:lolguy: