Has anybody used PVC pipe for an intake pipe?

RC K9

HAs anyone here made their own intake pip using PVC? More specifically, for a turbo application? If so, did you have anuy issues with it? From what I have read, PVC melts at 400f, so for most of the pipe I am not concerned about the under hood temps, but with the end feeding into the compressor housing being so close to the turbine housing and exhaust manifold, I don't know if it will get that hot or no...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAs anyone here made their own intake pip using PVC? More specifically, for a turbo application? If so, did you have anuy issues with it? From what I have read, PVC melts at 400f, so for most of the pipe I am not concerned about the under hood temps, but with the end feeding into the compressor housing being so close to the turbine housing and exhaust manifold, I don't know if it will get that hot or no...

I used pvc and the silicon clamps from jegs on my old 5.0, was great and the price was a plus.

If you're concerned, you could always run regular piping away from the compressor and then use pvc. Why the red green fab though?

Haha... I wonder how much boost you could get pvc to hold anyways...

I am not talking about using it post turbo, I am talking pre turbo. It wouldn't see boost. My FMIC piping is all aluminum.

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/RyanCorlew/DSM/IMAG0772.jpg

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/RyanCorlew/DSM/IMAG0767.jpg

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/RyanCorlew/DSM/IMAG0771.jpg

PVC and any amount of air pressure is an accident waiting to happen.

Are you serious...lol. Do you eve realize what kind of pressure they are rated for? More than most turbos on a car(gas) will make. And that's just schedule 40.

This is hilarious.

Are you serious...lol. Do you eve realize what kind of pressure they are rated for? More than most turbos on a car(gas) will make. And that's just schedule 40.

This is hilarious.

Also, to your point, there are some guys using pvc for their IC piping post cooler and have had no issues.

This is hilarious.

I realize what pressure it is rated for. But it's rated for a liquid pressure not air/gas pressure.

When PVC fails (With gas/air) it turns to shrapnel and is extremely violent.

If you'd like to discuss further feel free to PM me

I realize what pressure it is rated for. But it's rated for a liquid pressure not air/gas pressure.

When PVC fails (With gas/air) it turns to shrapnel and is extremely violent.

If you'd like to discuss further feel free to PM me

Serious question, how is liquid pressure different than air/gas pressure?

Do not tell me about how liquids are non-compressible etc. etc. - think about what pressure means. If you don't exceed (or even approach) the rating, then you're fine.

Serious question, how is liquid pressure different than air/gas pressure?

Do not tell me about how liquids are non-compressible etc. etc. - think about what pressure means. If you don't exceed (or even approach) the rating, then you're fine.

Liquid takes the force of the pressure with it, where as all the pressure in an air setup is transmitted through the pipe.

The plastics designed for air/gas use (ABS/HDPE) will form pinhole leaks rather than turning to shrapnel when a failure occurs.

I did it when I had a DSM and was cheap and in college. :fa: For pre-turbo as an intake as you described I had no issues. I wouldn't want to be using it for a pressure pipe though.

Ahhh, an answer that is informative and on the specific topic of pre turbo intake pipe. :fuckyeah: I thank you Sir.

this is something Grand prix guys have been doing on the supercharged 3800's for a while. I did it as well with doulble walled 4 inch piping. It's a $20 intake that outflows anything on the market.