Has anybody used PVC pipe for an intake pipe?

RC K9

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Can't say I've ever tried this but I'm sure it would work. I did however get bored at work the other day and built a catch can out of PVC.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/edsihon/f3a88d36.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/edsihon/6b73e567.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

vtec lol.

Seriously though, wouldn't a catch can that is recirculated back to the intake be better than one that is vented to the atmosphere? Pulling air in from the atmosphere won't allow great enough vacuum in the crank case, thus, not allowing the rings to seal as well as they should be able to?

Or am I reading too far into that setup?

vtec lol.

Seriously though, wouldn't a catch can that is recirculated back to the intake be better than one that is vented to the atmosphere? Pulling air in from the atmosphere won't allow great enough vacuum in the crank case, thus, not allowing the rings to seal as well as they should be able to?

Or am I reading too far into that setup?

You're on the right track.

There was a large debate on this quite some time ago on a supra forum. The general finalized consensus was it was better to plumb it back thru for some of those exact reasons. Mine is plumbed back into my intake before the turbo; its stock location.

I used to have mine vented just like the system above, but I had so much blow buy I was blowing the dipstick out every time I boosted and started springing oil leaks everywhere. So I did some research, was really intrigued by Paul Volks evac system, and it made sense so I mirrored it. Oil leaks went away, dipstick stayed down, winning. When I actually took the time to think about it logically, it makes sense. Those engineers had the original system recirculated for a reason...

I also saw on a supra forum where a guy used his exhaust as a vacuum source like the V8 guys, so it went straight from his valve cover to his downpipe, no catch can or anything since anything that would get through would just burn in the exhaust. he supposedly gained 50whp...