Southwest Airlines experiences?

Flyin Miata

I'm flying from Cleveland to Charleston, SC this October for a wedding. Looked at all the normal travel sites, lowest price found was $400 round trip. Checked Southwest directly and found $300 for business class, and even cheaper for the back of the bus.

My question is to anyone that has used the airline, have you ever had any problems? Anything to be concerned about? I'm all for getting the cheapest flight but not if it's going to make my trip a pain in the ass.

I have ONLY flown SW (5-6 times). Never a bad experience and an unbeatable price if they go where you want to go.

Tip: Most (all?) of their planes are all one section, making the seating location choice your only real value for paying business-class rates. At boarding time you line up by letter/number. If you give any shits about where you sit or whom you sit with, book the cheapest flight but do the early-bird check-in for $10 each way, or save another $20 and just check in exactly 24 hours before your take-off time for an early "spot". If you get it right when they start allowing check-in you'll usually be just behind anyone who paid for the upgrade or early-bird check-in. Worst I have seen is class B (of A-C) but still got the seat I wanted and only got split up from my co-flier once (no big deal). I usually get A for free just by being diligent with check-in time. You'll need to repeat that process for your return flight though if you don't pay for the early-bird.

Cattle cars of the skies.

I have ONLY flown SW (5-6 times). Never a bad experience and an unbeatable price if they go where you want to go.

Tip: Most (all?) of their planes are all one section, making the seating location choice your only real value for paying business-class rates. At boarding time you line up by letter/number. If you give any shits about where you sit or whom you sit with, book the cheapest flight but do the early-bird check-in for $10 each way, or save another $20 and just check in exactly 24 hours before your take-off time for an early "spot". If you get it right when they start allowing check-in you'll usually be just behind anyone who paid for the upgrade or early-bird check-in. Worst I have seen is class B (of A-C) but still got the seat I wanted and only got split up from my co-flier once (no big deal). I usually get A for free just by being diligent with check-in time. You'll need to repeat that process for your return flight though if you don't pay for the early-bird.

Both of these.

A + is 2 free Checked Bags.

We have flown SW MULTIPLE times over the last few years. Check in early, pick a "good" seat... EZ PZ.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Thanks for the tips. I just read about their check-in process on their website and wouldn't have known about it unless you mentioned that. I can just do the check in from my phone a day before so that's probably the way I'll go.

Flew them last march to drive my grandma back to OH from tampa, one way $125. Flew them again this feb, booked december-ish, $330 round trip. cheapest i found, wasnt worried about stupid shit on the plane, they got me on, gave me a drink and peanuts, got me to my destination. they didnt crash my plane so im happy.

Thanks for the tips. I just read about their check-in process on their website and wouldn't have known about it unless you mentioned that. I can just do the check in from my phone a day before so that's probably the way I'll go.

No problem. That's exactly what I do (book return flight from my phone).

Well I guess I expected the normal horror stories that you always hear about certain airlines, but this is great. Looks like Southwest for me. Nothing like flying down one day, getting drunk at a beach wedding the next, and flying back after.

Whatever you do don't fly United. Worst airline ever. There basic seating (on all Domestic flights) is an absolute fucking joke.

If it came between driving 8 hours or flying 3 i'd much rather drive.

I've never had a bad experience with the many Southwest flights I've taken. They do a pretty good job of staying on schedule too.

Before booking a ticket with carriers who have reserved seating ( SWA seats by groups but no assigned seat # ) I usually go to seatguru to pick out the best seat still available on the plane. You can use it for a Southwest flight to learn where the prime spots are on 737's and know which seat to grab as you board.

http://www.seatguru.com/

I've never had a bad experience with the many Southwest flights I've taken. They do a pretty good job of staying on schedule too.

Before booking a ticket with carriers who have reserved seating ( SWA seats by groups but no assigned seat # ) I usually go to seatguru to pick out the best seat still available on the plane. You can use it for a Southwest flight to learn where the prime spots are on 737's and know which seat to grab as you board.

http://www.seatguru.com/

FYI United charges you like $50 for any/all prime spots other then there bullshit basic seating (this includes exit seats). They also prohibit you from changing seats once the plane is in the air.

The few times I have been stuck with them I wait until everyone has boarded then simply walk on board like a bo$$ and sit down in the business-class seats like I own them - usually works.

FYI United charges you like $50 for any/all prime spots other then there bullshit basic seating (this includes exit seats). They also prohibit you from changing seats once the plane is in the air.

The few times I have been stuck with them I wait until everyone has boarded then simply walk on board like a bo$$ and sit down in the business-class seats like I own them - usually works.

USAIR is the airline I avoid. They are very strict on luggage weights and try hard to collect that extra money at the ticket counter. Their fees to change a reserved flight are beyond stupid.

Another good thing about SWA ... no fee if you have a reservation and need to change your flight.