Google Fiber Plans & Pricing

CRed05

https://fiber.google.com/plans/residential/

1) Free Internet (One time $300 construction fee) - 5Mb download speed

2) $70/Mo, 1TB storage on Google drive - 1Gb download speed

3)$120/Mo, Full Channel Line-up, Nexus 7, 1TB Drive - 1Gb download speed

Sounds pretty sweet to me. The channel lineup isn't bad, but it's not great. I'm sure it will get better as time goes on.

Live announcement on right now

Its only available in Kansas right now. I'm sure it will then start popping up in the major US cities. So it will probably be a while before we can get it here in Cbus. I signed up to get a notification once its available in my area...hopefully its only a few months away.

Its only available in Kansas right now. I'm sure it will then start popping up in the major US cities. So it will probably be a while before we can get it here in Cbus. I signed up to get a notification once its available in my area...hopefully its only a few months away.

It will never be in Columbus. KC was a single trial market. Also you have to get several people to commit and pre-register before they will build into your neighborhood.

"The fiberhoods who want Google Fiber most—and demonstrate that by pre-registering the highest percentage of homes—will achieve a higher fiberhood ranking, and therefore will get Fiber sooner. This is why we're encouraging you to rally your neighbors to pre-register.

It's hard to provide estimates about construction timing because there are several factors (including weather) that we can’t control. But, barring these circumstances, we expect to install service to fiberhoods ranked in the top 50% by mid-2013. After September 9th we plan to publish a calendar with an approximate construction order."

"The fiberhoods who want Google Fiber most—and demonstrate that by pre-registering the highest percentage of homes—will achieve a higher fiberhood ranking, and therefore will get Fiber sooner. This is why we're encouraging you to rally your neighbors to pre-register.

It's hard to provide estimates about construction timing because there are several factors (including weather) that we can’t control. But, barring these circumstances, we expect to install service to fiberhoods ranked in the top 50% by mid-2013. After September 9th we plan to publish a calendar with an approximate construction order."

Sounds like they have a solid plan, and I'd love to have me some fiber... but will they actually follow through on this one?

Google LOL

:yuno: Y U NO FOLLOW THROUGH WITH IDEAS!?!?

Sounds like they have a solid plan, and I'd love to have me some fiber... but will they actually follow through on this one?

Google LOL

Seems like an easy way to say we will do the 50%, then screw the other 50%. A perpetual build plan.

A fiberhood is a portion of Kansas City, KS or Kansas City, MO that includes about 250-1,500 households. We determined fiberhood boundaries based on a number of factors. First, we worked with the Kansas City governments and community leaders to learn about pre-existing neighborhoods or communities. Then, we looked at those communities and determined very clear boundaries at their edges like streets and parks.
Edited by kshymkiw83

In for updates, would love to tell TW, WOW, ATT that they are not relevant any longer.

Google stated in the beginning of this, it is a 1 city trial. They have no interest in becoming a National ISP.

What I am interested to see, is how their support fares once this goes live. When Joe calls in because his channels aren't working, how good is their support going to be? If it is like any of their other products, it will suck. Go post on a forum, and someone will get back to you in a few days. Fiber Cuts, Power Issues, etc... All of that is what is going to be interesting to see how this goes.

Google LOL

I think Google always follows through, or makes their ideas a reality. The problem is that they don't really advertise what they have. So Joe Schmoe has no idea shit even exists.

Perfect example, today Google added 2 new features to mobile/Android and didn't let anyone know.

1) Google Hand Writing - http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2012/07/google-adds-handwriting-recognition-to-search.html

2) Built in Emoji - http://phandroid.com/2012/07/26/emoji-support-appears-as-add-on-dictionary-in-jelly-bean/

I think Google always follows through, or makes their ideas a reality. The problem is that they don't really advertise what they have. So Joe Schmoe has no idea shit even exists.

Perfect example, today Google added 2 new features to mobile/Android and didn't let anyone know.

1) Google Hand Writing - http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2012/07/google-adds-handwriting-recognition-to-search.html

2) Built in Emoji - http://phandroid.com/2012/07/26/emoji-support-appears-as-add-on-dictionary-in-jelly-bean/

Handwriting - worst feature ever, and only available on Search. We should be moving towards better voice recognition, and learning how to drown out background noises/invalid entries. Not asking people to do a tad bit better version of Swype.

And they are pushing you into a contract or fee:

Contracts will vary based on which Google Fiber service plan you choose.

• For our Gigabit Internet plan, you'll have a 12 month contract. (Optional: You can also pay a $300 construction fee in order to get the Gigabit Internet plan without a contract)

• For our Gigabit + TV plan, you'll have a 24 month contract.

• For our Free Internet plan, there are two options. If you pay your construction fee up front, there is no additional contract. If you choose to pay your construction fee over 12 months, you will have a 12 month contract.

That sucks

Handwriting - worst feature ever, and only available on Search. We should be moving towards better voice recognition, and learning how to drown out background noises/invalid entries. Not asking people to do a tad bit better version of Swype.

It's not bad...not life changing or anything. I see Google did post something about it on Google+...you know that thing that's way better than Facebook but no one seems to be using it.

Google's voice recognition is pretty fucking amazing if you ask me. It's way better than Apple's, and look how everyone creamed over that.

OMG, my iPhone has like apps and facebook and siri and instagram it's the best thing ever!

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/129/386/latest-meme.jpg?1307037600

It's not bad...not life changing or anything. I see Google did post something about it on Google+...you know that thing that's way better than Facebook but no one seems to be using it.

Google's voice recognition is pretty fucking amazing if you ask me. It's way better than Apple's, and look how everyone creamed over that.

OMG, my iPhone has like apps and facebook and siri and instagram it's the best thing ever!

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/129/386/latest-meme.jpg?1307037600

iPhone bashing, to a person who has a Droid....good job. I hate Apple Products. Doesn't mean Google is god like, and gets free passes because they are Google.

iPhone bashing, to a person who has a Droid....good job. I hate Apple Products. Doesn't mean Google is god like, and gets free passes because they are Google.

Not to you, just saying in general. Also not really iPhone bashing, bashing ignorance.

I dont get why you make things about how one thing is better or not and nobody even brought up any apple product except for you, its quite sad if you ask me that one person can care so much and not get paid

As for the google fiber that would be amazing to get in columbus but the market just isnt big enough and like you said nobody knows about it.

I dont get why you make things about how one thing is better or not and nobody even brought up any apple product except for you, its quite sad if you ask me that one person can care so much and not get paid

:yuno:

Again, that's not the point I was making.