Looking for info on Mini 14's

buelliganx1

Like the title says I'm thinking of picking up a mini 14 and I'm just looking to educate myself on them. I was batting around buying or building an AR but I think the mini is more in my price range. I know the newer ones have a thicker barrel but is there anything I should look out for on a used one? I like the looks of the tactical one from Ruger but I'm not sure I'm sold on the looks of the pistol grip, I'd have to put my hands on one to see if I really like the feel of it. Anyways thanks for any help.

Same basic principle as the M14/M1A rifles. Gas piston operated, with a bolt system very similar to the M1/M14 family. I think they're great rifles, with a very proven operation. I've been eye fucking a Mini-30 for sometime due to my dislike for Commie rifles, but the admiration of the 7.62X39mm round.

I'm sure it's still true, but the cheap non-factory Mini-14 mags suck. That will be the demise of that rifle operating like it can. Ruger finally started making good quality 20 round mags. Other than that, I'd probably stray away from MILSPEC 5.56 due to the chamber pressures. Always shot 55 grain and higher .223 with no issues in a factory mag. IMO, it's a great rifle. It's Apples to Oranges if compared to an AR. Those are 2 completely different rifles.

What are you looking to do with it? It's not my choice for go to weapon. The horror stories are out there, but I have not encountered any issues. I put a retarded scope on one, 6X24X50 Nikon Monarch, just so I can test and mess around with range ability and if this weapon is accurate. BTW, I have found it likes 62 grain better than 55 for holding accuracy. For me, the gun is a ton of fun to shoot. I don't know why I like it so much, I just do.

If I was suggesting an order of buying weapons for someone, it would be 8th or so, after shot guns, AR's and hand guns, maybe even after a Mosin. But right in from of a cross bow.

If you don't have any weapons, I would not make this my first.

Nope not my first and I already have a mosin although it feels so cheaply made that I never have gotten up the courage to fire the thing lol. No I'm just looking for a plinking gun although I do enjoy testing my guns limits as far as distance goes. I may still just start collecting parts for an AR build or hell I may do both. After all a person can never have to many guns.

My experience with them is the same as Scotts, Ive heard the horror stories but Ive never had a problem with them and neither has one of my friends who has had them for years. I wouldn't be afraid to pick another one up and have been looking at the 6.8 for awhile now. And +1 to the cheap magazines sucking.

I don't have much experience with the newer ones, just a couple round swaps at the range. They work well as far as I can tell.

But the older ones didn't, and frankly I think that impression from back then may be biasing me against them. Three rounds and then you start chasing zero...that's just annoying.

Nope not my first and I already have a mosin although it feels so cheaply made that I never have gotten up the courage to fire the thing lol. ....QUOTE]

What?!! Lol. Mosin Nagant rifles are extremely durable. Simple and crude, but very durable.

Nope not my first and I already have a mosin although it feels so cheaply made that I never have gotten up the courage to fire the thing lol. ....QUOTE]

What?!! Lol. Mosin Nagant rifles are extremely durable. Simple and crude, but very durable.

Oh I know that they are very durable but there is just something about the feel of the wood in my stock, it almost feels like its one step up from balsa wood. One of these days I'm going to get around to getting a synthetic stock for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a Mini-14. Fun to shoot but it's a plinking rifle in my opinion. Performance leaves much to be desired. If you are looking for M1 or even M-14 type accuracy based on the action, prepare for disappointment.

Under "Zombie 1 Alert" conditions would leave the house with the AK or Galil.