serious question.. for real this time.

The_buster

Im looking at trading the civic for one of two cars, a 90 accord 4 door 188k that the speedometer works sometimes and has a straight exhaust. It is auto too. Or a 94 integra that just needs some paint and has no radio, but mechanically is fine. 177k on it. Im going to look at the accord today in west jeff if anyone want s to come with ill buy lunch just to make sure i dont get another pos. Also lookinng at the integra on sat. My question is which is the lesser of two evils? I was looking at the accord because its 4 door and auto so if the nissan goes down again the wife can still drive, but the integra doesnt have any mechanical issues, posted anyway... any info is helpful

integra=http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3155894583.html

accord=http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/553392_10100542008398112_524971419_n.jpg

• Downvote 2

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with your current shitbox that u would want to get rid of it for one of these piles?

This, whats the big deal with your current beater? They are all going to be worn out cars.

edit: nevermind saw above post

Why is the current one burning oil? or are you assuming its worn out?

my advise would be to save some money and trade with some cash to get something nicer, else you will be spending whatever you would have saved on repairs for either of the two cars your looking at. now I'm only looking at pics here so I could be wrong, but cars with that many miles are prolly gonna need suspension work soon as it doesn't look like either car was taken care of judging by the paint and rust.

the civic started burning oil 3 days after i got it.. the guy put something in to stop it or something. but i went through a 5qt jug of 5w30 in less than a week. I use 10w40 now and it lasts longer. I would like to just keep the civic and do the work my self but i dont want to fuck shit up more than it is now.

Id say find a place that is offering 3500 on trade in and go there. Guessing both cars are around 1500 each if you have that in cash now try to get 2 grand or more and get something in the 5500 range that will be in better shape. I wouldnt waste my time on a 1500 beater that you will likely have to sink another 1500 on to keep running.

the civic started burning oil 3 days after i got it.. the guy put something in to stop it or something. but i went through a 5qt jug of 5w30 in less than a week. I use 10w40 now and it lasts longer. I would like to just keep the civic and do the work my self but i dont want to fuck shit up more than it is now.

pull the spark plug boots, see if there's oil down inside the spark plug cylinder

I personally would keep your current car and do a bearings, rings, gaskets, valve stems, etc. No point in jumping from one beater to another when you can fix up one that you already have.

I stay away from any cars that are primered with spotty bondo body work. It usually means the car is a rolling bondo mobile.

Id say find a place that is offering 3500 on trade in and go there. Guessing both cars are around 1500 each if you have that in cash now try to get 2 grand or more and get something in the 5500 range that will be in better shape. I wouldnt waste my time on a 1500 beater that you will likely have to sink another 1500 on to keep running.

This shit isn't real. A car is worth what it's worth. This is how the $4000 push pull or tow sale works:

Dealer marks their cars up more.

ex. 2007 Cobalt sells at auction for 5,000. Dealer lists it for sale for $10,900, a $5900 mark up. So you pay 10,900 - 4000 = 6,900. Lets assume your shitbox is worth $500. So the dealer draws 6900 + 500 = 7,400 for the car they paid 5000 for.

I really hate this shady shit and am sickened every time someone falls for it. Always deal on BOTTOM LINE only.

I'm pretty sure you could find an online manual for free somewhere and youtube videos can help.

Yeah, get a factory service manual from Honda (NOT Chiltons junk). It will literally walk you through every step of the repair process. I've purchased one for every car i've owned.

pull the spark plug boots, see if there's oil down inside the spark plug cylinder

I think I'm gonna keep the civic and grow a pair and try to fix it. It will be a few months till britt gets student loans.

again take the plug wires out look down at the spark plugs see if its filled with oil, "could" be a simple fix.

If there is oil what's that mean?

there's some o-rings between the rocker assembly and the head, over time they get brittle and leak filling the spark plug cylinders with oil, it'll cause rough running issues, oil burning issues if the oil gets past the plugs into the actual combustion chamber.

if it's leaking I would start there, could save you lots of money and time, but without seeing the car there could still be other problems, that's just a start.

That integra is a pile. I would stay away, looks like a high schooler got his hands on it. What about spending a few more bucks like these:

No idea the miles, but you might be able to get it for $2,600

http://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/3174993743.html

Awesome price on this, IF there is nothing wrong from the wreck:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3156946258.html