who here works on ac systems?

The_buster

At work we sell r134a top off cans and components. They sent us to a training day but all that did was show us how to sell it. I want to know more on how to use these products so I can tell the customer more than reading a pamphlet. All we are allowed to do is show them where the low side port is but that's it, I figured being able to offer more advice would be good. Thanks!

What is it you want to know?

Let me share why I hate "top off" cans of 134a, because I have had numerous people come into work with overcharged a/c systems with people fucking with shit they don't understand. A/C systems are designed to operate with a specific weight of 134a in them for proper performance, something almost impossible to do without a very accurate scale and a set of manifold gauges to check performance. Shooting too much 134a in does nothing but cause issues, at the very least is simply render the system inoperative because the high pressure switch will keep it off.

You want to give good advice to your customers tell them to go find someone who knows what they are doing.

Let me share why I hate "top off" cans of 134a, because I have had numerous people come into work with overcharged a/c systems with people fucking with shit they don't understand. A/C systems are designed to operate with a specific weight of 134a in them for proper performance, something almost impossible to do without a very accurate scale and a set of manifold gauges to check performance. Shooting too much 134a in does nothing but cause issues, at the very least is simply render the system inoperative because the high pressure switch will keep it off.

You want to give good advice to your customers tell them to go find someone who knows what they are doing.

I'm gonna go ahead and quote this for TRUTH, I deal with the same shit

Exactly what I try to tell people on here.. If your AC doesnt work there is a reason... A) Your leaking somewhere, and need to get it fixed. B) You have a clutch,sensor, electrical issue and your pressure is fine. C) Ect. People think Once their AC stops working all they need is a "MAGIC CAN".

I had a dodge ram come strait from advanced blowing refridgerant out EVERYWHERE. He shot 2 cans in with the truck shut off (Not sure how he managed that, but he did) Started the truck up and turned the AC on and blew the clutch right off the compressor. So his 50$ fix, turned into a 1800$ Estimate. Needless to say he drove it home with no serp belt.

Only real mechanics who do this shit every day know the dangers of r134 "RECHARGE CANS"... Backyard mechanics, this shit is like gold..

had a 2012 Acura TL come in with around 4-5k miles, guy said "the a/c system just stopped working, it'll turn on then shuts off instantly and I don't know why" I installed the gauges and what do you know pressures were way too high, I evaced the system and pulled out .71kgs, max is .55kgs. I recharged the system with the max amount .55kgs system works fine, I told the service adviser what I found and its not warranty, adviser said "you know this guy called in yesterday asking if his car takes R134a", after I heard that I knew what the jackass did.

the guy is impatient like all Acura owners, admitted he did add some R134a, said the a/c system shouldn't take that long to cool, well sir its blistering hot outside and when you park outside in the sun with your windows up and the sunshade open ALL day in the blistering heat its gonna take some time for your car to cool down inside.

At work we sell r134a top off cans and components. They sent us to a training day but all that did was show us how to sell it. I want to know more on how to use these products so I can tell the customer more than reading a pamphlet. All we are allowed to do is show them where the low side port is but that's it, I figured being able to offer more advice would be good. Thanks!

I'd double check giving out additional advice with your manager, as both you/autozone can potentially be found liable shall something go wrong on the customers end (they only teach you how to sell it for a reason). Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable giving advice unless I was ASE certified (which I more or less am, (in certain fields)).

Moral of story: go to School, get your Certs, Give good advice (and get a good paying job $$$)

the top off kits aren't so bad if you know how to use them, i used one on my blazer and it works perfectly. though the system was low and im sure there is a slow leak somewhere, i will prolly tackle that next summer if needed. though i must admit, the proper equipment is much nicer to use. either way, acklac7 is exactly right, if they don't know how to use it, they should take it into a shop. its very easy to get hurt working with refridgerant if you don't know what your doing, not to mention what it could do to the environment.

In the training they explained how to use the gauge, but we had a lady come in buy the big $40 can and I showed her the port and explained the way they told us, 10sec. at a time until its in the "V" mark. She came back in and said the needle started going up just fine then dropped back to zero and wouldn't move any higher. We told her to take it to a shop, I was wondering why it might have done that. None of us could giver her any possibles besides a big leak.

ok thanks for the info. was looking into doing this on the altima but its a 95, would that be r12 or did the switch by then? Its cool but doesnt seem as cold, could just be the excessive heat were having too.

most 1995 Altimas were R12, but that was also the year when car manufacturers were switching over to R134a to meet the EPA's 1996 deadline,

your car could of had a conversion kit installed just look at your service ports you'll know instantly if its R12 or R134a.