Possible getting Divorced!!!!

Stampede

Moral of the story, don't get married....

This.

...married guy. :dumb:

+ (∞ - 1)

It's just a piece of fucking paper in the grand scheme of things. All of this "wedding day" bullshit that some women come up with is such a god damn waste of money anyway. Thousands upon thousands of dollars spent on one...fucking...day. No.

My wedding was <$2000, dress and all. I made it clear that the ceremony doesn't mean shit to me. Also, she had already had a "big" wedding. Fail.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Tim, but a guy I work with just went through this. His asshole still hurts from the raping that he got! Not to mention that she got half of his 401k, alimony for a few years, child support until they are 18, he pays for all insurance/medical expenses, and the kids spend 1/2 of the time with him. Fucking kills me.

Getting half of his 401k isn't part of the raping....she's entitled to it just as she was when they were married. It's part of their joint assets earned while married. That doesn't change when you get divorced. No different than if you were 50/50 in a business with another person. Any earnings and growth during that business venture are joint. Marriage is a contract...a business contract.

Same with raising kids. Mothers and Fathers have a responsibility to pay for the kids and support them until they are 18 whether they are married or not. I'm even more for child support as the kids are the ones who suffer if a parent doesn't pay. That's why in cases with children courts usually appoint a guardian ad litem. They are there to take legal action on behalf of a minor who isn't often represented in a divorce.

If it kills you you thinking about it, think about how their kid feels.....do that for a minute and I bet that's the only minute that kid got.

Why does marriage have anything to do with the legal system anyways?

because it's a binding contract and is protected under law. you get tons of breaks in taxes and in different ways too. just the same you will held to the laws of a contract when it's dissolved.

I feel like tim is brainwashed into thinking this should all be ok. Sad because the middle class working man is the most disenfranchised person in this country, especially when it comes to issues like this.

Nope....I just understand the legal side of it all fairly well since I lived through my wife's schooling and years of owning her own family law and bankruptcy practice. As a husband and father and as a third party fly on the wall to many cases I can also empathize with all three sides of such cases too.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/145241729/original.jpg

if married, then pre-fucking-nup

True, but even Prenups aren't bullet proof. Judges often exercise an oversight responsibility over all matrimonial cases. What a good lawyer and prenup will do is enhance your chances that the prenup will be enforced but that doesn't mean it won't cost you to defend it.

This.

...married guy. :dumb:

My wedding was <$2000, dress and all. I made it clear that the ceremony doesn't mean shit to me. Also, she had already had a "big" wedding. Fail.

Not for long. Many of todays women want a guy that isn't worried about proving themselves in the workplace. They are okay with average. Is it hard on the homelife? Yup. Will it pay off in the future? Yep.

Nevermind when "she's had enough". Wreck the family for her own happiness. Typical female logic. Stupid.

...and bust your own nuts weekly. :no:

Id rather beat off than pay alimony. Real talk. Didn't someone do an economic study that showed getting prostitutes on a regular basis was cheaper in the long run than marriage, and you actually have sex more often? Winning.

Not horseshit. Together married they earned $140k. Again, just because the marriage is over doesn't mean she's now off to live off just $50k. Life together is based off income and debts together and thus during divorce that same standard is held.

dude, it is horseshit... she isn't going to be on the streets making 50k a year.... like Chris Rock said, where's the pussy payments? Alimony is complete horse shit just like if you have split custody right down the middle, why should the guy still have to pay child support? it's completely one sided and bullshit.

one of my supervisors is going through a divorce. he is paying $600/month per child. $1000-ish is going to be alimony. had to short sale the house at a loss.

he makes about $90k/year

3 or 4 kids? I've been paying about $1800/mo total but I'm doing my best to negotiate. That's for (net) one child. First step is not getting divorced in Ohio if you can help it.

dude, it is horseshit... she isn't going to be on the streets making 50k a year....

(Details here are for discussion purposes, not nec. that of the OP"s situation)

It's not about her income of $50k, it's about their once joint income and lifestyle having been $140k. You don't got through years of marriage where joint decisions impact the earnings on both sides and then just walk away each taking their own. That's not how a contract works.

Alimony is complete horse shit just like if you have split custody right down the middle, why should the guy still have to pay child support? it's completely one sided and bullshit.

Not sure I follow you the joint custody thing.....there are two parents, costs are a joint responsibility. It's a lame tactic for fathers to want to forgo custody thinking they can walk away from the financial responsibility. The flip side is also common where because they have to pay they try and fight for more time.

First step is not getting divorced in Ohio if you can help it.

here too courts will not let you just up and move and try to play the resident elsewhere card. very common and often times it ends up costing you more to try it and lose.

Why does marriage have anything to do with the legal system anyways?

no shit, it's lasted centuries without laws needing to interfere, now all of a sudden we have a government that has to prove that they are worth keeping around so they come up with law after law after law that we don't need.

Marriage is a religious institution, let the religions take care of it however they want. Keep the government out of it.

here too courts will not let you just up and move and try to play the resident elsewhere card. very common and often times it ends up costing you more to try it and lose.

We were married in IL, she moved back, has lived there past the statute. We're 100% legit. In IL if we come up with an agreement, the courts can/will approve it. Not so here in OH.

Marriage is a religious institution, let the religions take care of it however they want. Keep the government out of it.

Marriage is both a legal and in some cases a religious institution. The legal side more so in most every case. Not everyone gets married through a church or in the eyes of any particular religion. Even when they do, it's only official in the eyes of said church.

In the eyes of society in America, it's the certificate you get from the state that tells them to change how you are impacted when filing taxes together, gaining insurance coverage, exercising hospital visitation rights, adoption, etc......

Marriage is both a legal and in some cases a religious institution. The legal side more so in most every case. Not everyone gets married through a church or in the eyes of any particular religion. Even when they do, it's only official in the eyes of said church.

In the eyes of society in America, it's the certificate you get from the state that tells them to change how you are impacted when filing taxes together, gaining insurance coverage, exercising hospital visitation rights, adoption, etc......

Its neat how 200 some years of "Merica has changed 2,000 some years of history

So here's a downside to being married - the couple has financial problems, for whatever reason. Being married means your credit is tied together, so rather than just having one of the two file for bankruptcy, allowing the other person in the relationship to salvage their credit and still be able to buy a house/car/whatever is needed, they both take the hit no matter what and are both fucked for the next 7 years. That's not a benefit. Most married people I've talked to say that there is usually little if any benefit to filing taxes jointly, and they often go back and forth. So that's not really that huge of a benefit. Also, lets say you have a sole proprietor photography business that your wife has nothing to do with, and your wife has a lawyer business that you have nothing to do with. You get sued for everything you've got because you accidentally ran over a kid playing in the street. They can also try and take your wife's business since the law sees you as one person. If you weren't married, then your wife couldn't be touched, and you would still have her business as a form of income.

I'm insuring my gf through my insurance, listing her as my domestic partner. You can't do this in NC now since they passed their anti gay marriage law which also wrecked the whole domestic partner thing, but it works here so I use it.

Hospital visitation rights? If you tell them such and such is your partner then I doubt they will be calling the state to see if you have a valid marriage license.

Orphanages used to be run by (gasp) churches, which again used to also be in charge of marriage. So I'm willing to bet that if they saw you as being married, regardless of legal status, and you appeared to be responsible adults, then they probably would not have had a problem with you adopting a child.

A marriage license is yet another form of taxation. It also employs a lot of lawyers. Skipping the legality of marriage means each partner has to work a little harder to keep the other happy or else it is easier to leave, instead of saying "oh now that we are married I don't have to try any more since its such a pain for you to leave, I have you trapped". It means if things do go south, you have to be more willing to work with the other person to work things out instead of just throwing a lawyer at them (which could still be an option, even without the legal part of a marriage).

Child support is a good idea - often not implemented well. I agree that it is necessary and would be simple to either agree upon, or could be disputed in court. That is simply an issue of looking at the numbers, and would benefit from having some sort of a formula added to the books to keep disputes to a minimum. The problem with child support is that all too often it isn't actually used on the kids. I'm not sure what I think of alimony.

So yeah, any supposed "benefit" of a legal marriage isn't really so.

I don't like how some women use child support as an income instead of using it for the kids like they are supposed to. I have seen/heard of quite a few cases where this happens and it just pisses me off. they should have a way of tracking the money earned through child support, as now its a semi broken system.

and to go back a little for a second, I know it may vary, but what length of time would a guy expect to pay alamony?