I'm going to become a track rat

M0nk3y

Finally finished up my first HPDE Friday at Mid-Ohio!

Caught 2 wet sessions in the AM and 2 dry sessions in the PM. The wet was an interesting experience, little to no traction certainly sums it up. But it was good experience.

There are plenty of areas to work on, obviously. China Beach, Madness, The Esses is a pretty tricky section to get it right. I was being a baby braking into China Beach...the first session I hit oil into the braking zone and it was not a fun experience. Kept it straight and all...just had the o-shi moment. It was still a little cold and the track wasn't completely dried up, so threshold braking wasn't really worked on at all

Overall though, It was really fun. I'm amazing at what type of grip is out there.

Here's my last session. Critique if you want.

"Racing is a disease cured only by poverty".

You'd be amazed how deep you can go into China Beach(Turn 4 depending on how you count em), also the uphill left hander before the carousel when done right is so satisfying.

I miss Mid-Ohio already.

"Racing is a disease cured only by poverty".

You'd be amazed how deep you can go into China Beach(Turn 4 depending on how you count em), also the uphill left hander before the carousel when done right is so satisfying.

I miss Mid-Ohio already.

It's certainly a tricky section.

im so jealous, i hope to some day be able to take a car out on it. just wondering... how fast did you get on the straight away before the S turn

I was topping 4th gear, which is 130 mph. If I exit T2 better and late brake into T4, I can get into 5th.

It's certainly a tricky section.

I was topping 4th gear, which is 130 mph. If I exit T2 better and late brake into T4, I can get into 5th.

Yeah, China Beach has a lot of room unless you really screw up bad but if you do it before the carousel it seems like it could be a disaster. The keyhole I found tough to find just the right line as theres so much room, when you do it right though it makes such a huge difference down the straight.

All of these posts and no one has posted "look at that hairdresser go!" or some such nonsense???

:gabe:

Seriously, looks like a blast. I always wanted to get out on track with my '99 GT but never made it because I only almost finish projects. Congratulations on actually taking the plunge.

I was there too running in group 4, got signed off to time trial for next year. It is a blast and anyone can take their stock car up there for the first time. Just change your brake fluid before you go and summer tires would help too.

I took my wife's 03 civic 5 speed, stock there. Over heated the pads and the all season tires yelled a lot, but still had a great time. Once you go a few times you will get better brake pads and later tires.

Been doing it for 4 years. People always make excuses why they don't go. Cost, time, car is not right. Bull I call. It is like $210 for one day or $370 for 2. That is like a cold air intake or tune, or lowering. What you learn goes with with you to your next car when your modified car is long gone.

To the OP, I only watched 1 lap (track videos are boring), but I saw this:

Turn 1: enter a little later and get on the gas sooner. Fastest turn on the track

End of back straight (Turn 7) you can brake way, way later and go through that turn a lot faster

After maddness (Turn 8) there is turn 9 a right hander. Floor it as you hit the apex and you can keep it floored through 10a/10b under the Honda bridge and over the hill to the right.

At the end of Thunder Valley, you can turn in a little earlier. You want your left front tire to touch the beginning of that candy (there is even a dirt spot there from others doing that)

As you go around the carousel, hold your line a little longer and late apex that with full gas.

For a first time, your line looks great. There is so much to learn and Mid Ohio is a challenging track to drive. I am still not bored with it after 4 years.

To the OP, I only watched 1 lap (track videos are boring), but I saw this:

Turn 1: enter a little later and get on the gas sooner. Fastest turn on the track

End of back straight (Turn 7) you can brake way, way later and go through that turn a lot faster

After maddness (Turn 8) there is turn 9 a right hander. Floor it as you hit the apex and you can keep it floored through 10a/10b under the Honda bridge and over the hill to the right.

At the end of Thunder Valley, you can turn in a little earlier. You want your left front tire to touch the beginning of that candy (there is even a dirt spot there from others doing that)

As you go around the carousel, hold your line a little longer and late apex that with full gas.

For a first time, your line looks great. There is so much to learn and Mid Ohio is a challenging track to drive. I am still not bored with it after 4 years.

Towards the end of the video I was starting my turn basically under the Bridge in T1. Others told me to start the turn at the black mark on the right wall.

I know I can brake later. I had a scare in the AM where I hit oil and the car didn't like it (Aka the back end starting come around in a straight brake). The car caught grip and tightened back up, but stuck in my mind. I know I can brake later, I have the brakes to do so as well. It's hard to judge braking distances when you have never gone that type of speed w/full brakes.

I know what 60-0 stopping is, I don't know what 130-whatever that corner speed is yet. It's all in the learning process.

Thanks for the other comments. I knew I took it pretty light, I know now what the car can do.

Towards the end of the video I was starting my turn basically under the Bridge in T1. Others told me to start the turn at the black mark on the right wall.

I know I can brake later. I had a scare in the AM where I hit oil and the car didn't like it (Aka the back end starting come around in a straight brake). The car caught grip and tightened back up, but stuck in my mind. I know I can brake later, I have the brakes to do so as well. It's hard to judge braking distances when you have never gone that type of speed w/full brakes.

I know what 60-0 stopping is, I don't know what 130-whatever that corner speed is yet. It's all in the learning process.

Thanks for the other comments. I knew I took it pretty light, I know now what the car can do.

Better to be safe than sorry right?? You probably heard the phrase "only go as fast as you feel safe" at some point in your downloads likely, they mean it. I have only had a 2 wheels off so far in my 4 times to a road course and that was in the rain, I have always driven my car to the track and thus I have to drive back so it means leaving a bit out there but if it means bringing myself and car home in 1 peice I can live with it.

Track vids are a great training tool for you and your coach. I have been getting go pro vid of all my track days on the bike this year and they are a huge eye opener. For someone not riding with you, behind you or in front of you,they do become boring in common cars. On the track, man it fells like I am flying, then I watch the vid. Nope, just an average Joe.

I personally like seeing track vids though. If you had fun and learned a little more = win.

Track vids are a great training tool for you and your coach. I have been getting go pro vid of all my track days on the sbike this year and they are a huge eye opener. For someone not riding with you, behind you or in front of you,they do become boring in common cars.

This is a great tool for anything that involves technical skills, we use it in skiing and I'm sure it can be just as useful in just about any other sport. I can be told how to do something and I can feel like I'm doing what they are telling me, but maybe I'm not doing it 100%. Maybe I'm only 50% there or maybe I'm 95% there, but I feel like I'm there even though I'm not. No matter what someone tells me, if I think I'm doing what they are telling me the critiquing doesn't help me nearly as much as when they are telling me what I'm doing wrong and I'm watching a video of myself doing it wrong. It can be truly mind blowing if you are doing something bad. :fa:

For example, if someone tells you that you can use more of the track, but you thought you already were using it all it might not help that much, but if you see a vid from another car watching your car, you can see exactly where and how much of the track you aren't using.