IIHS new offset crash test of entry level luxury sedans...

Aaron

http://wot.motortrend.com/acura-tl-aces-stricter-iihs-frontal-crash-test-vw-cc-loses-a-door-246439.html

The new small overlap frontal crash test, designed to simulate what would happen when the front corner of a car collides with another vehicle or object, constitutes the front end of the driver’s side striking a five-foot tall rigid barrier at 40 mph. The IIHS claims this is the first test of its kind conducted outside of automakers’ proving grounds in the U.S. and Europe. In its first round of testing 11 midsize luxury and premium cars, only three earned good or acceptable ratings.

Along with the good rating of the Volvo S60 and Acura TL, the Infiniti G earned an acceptable rating, while the Acura TSX, BMW 3 Series, and Lincoln MKZ earned a marginal rating. All 11 models tested were from the 2012 model year. Poor ratings were received by the Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Lexus IS 250/350, Lexus ES 350, and Audi A4. As for the Volkswagen CC, the four-door was the first vehicle the IIHS had ever evaluated to completely lose its door.

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr081412.html

"Small overlap crash" test? I don't think new cars are safe enough. Let's develop an "IED Explosion" test, or a "Tsunami" test.

I hear Volvo is going to employ Wile E. Coyote as a crash test dummy...make sure the "ACME Safe Falling On The Occupants While Driving" test still nets them a 5-star rating. :lolguy:

I hear Volvo is going to employ Wile E. Coyote as a crash test dummy...make sure the "ACME Safe Falling On The Occupants While Driving" test still nets them a 5-star rating. :lolguy:

While I often enjoy and share your cynicism, I do think this is a valid test. As a local news junkie, I can't count the number of times I read about fatal drunk driver head-on collisions where one driver went slightly left of center. Now, that would invariably happen with higher speeds involved, but I still think this is a very good test for that kind of danger.

"Small overlap crash" test? I don't think new cars are safe enough. Let's develop an "IED Explosion" test, or a "Tsunami" test.

:dumb:

While I often enjoy and share your cynicism, I do think this is a valid test. As a local news junkie, I can't count the number of times I read about fatal drunk driver head-on collisions where one driver went slightly left of center. Now, that would invariably happen with higher speeds involved, but I still think this is a very good test for that kind of danger.

Agreed

You can take this test, and shovel it!

As a survivor of a drunk driver rear-ending the very same Passat I still drive today, I am all for safety technology. However, I can also be cynical because I believe we need safer DRIVERS, rather than safer cars.

As a survivor of a drunk driver rear-ending the very same Passat I still drive today, I am all for safety technology. However, I can also be cynical because I believe we need safer DRIVERS, rather than safer cars.

http://i.imgur.com/XvxJx.jpg

I agree 100%. I think the licensing process's and tests are a joke. They will give a license to pretty much anyone.

I've been saying for a while (aka since that Top Gear episode) that our standards need to mimick those of scandanavian nations... high price, major time commitment, and rigid testing standards.

I've been saying for a while (aka since that Top Gear episode) that our standards need to mimick those of scandanavian nations... high price, major time commitment, and rigid testing standards.

As well as retesting! Maybe every 10 yrs? like ccw class certs. You can renew one time without having to take the tests again. That would get alot of the elderly off the roads that shouldn't be driving.

If I heard the guy on the news correctly, 20-25% of fatal car crashes fall into the "small overlap" category. The IIHS is an independently funded organization that tests vehicles for the purpose of rating the real-world safety of the coccupents, determing the cost of repair in small fender benders, etc. which all goes into determining your premiums.

:dumb::dumb:

I agree, safer drivers would be a great thing. As others have stated, the tests are a joke.

However, that has nothing to do with making cars safer.

I'd like both please.