What the hell is this noise from my 2500HD

BrianZ06

I have checked a lot of things out and so far no luck. It sounds like it is in the brakes. A dragging,rubbing sound. I can really hear it when I drive between parked cars or when I'm up against a barrier wall driving slow. I just installed new pads on the front and the rear are not even half worn down. I had it up in the air and tried to make the noise by turning each wheel individually and could not make it happen. The u joints were my next check but they seem good also.

It is an 02 2500HD crew cab,4x4 with the 8.1 and 130,000 miles runs great. It is just bugging me that I can figure it out. I changed the front diff fluid and it came out grey,not dirty black like I thought it would. The rear diff fluid looked normal when draining. 4x4 works fine.

I'm sure I did,but it was doing it before the new pads went on also. Its not to hard to pull them out though if that is a possibility. Another thing is that when I hear the noise I tried riding the brakes and it still did it. I'm really stumped on this one.

What brand brakes did you use? Did they come with new retaining clips?

I replaced brakes on my trans am with Thermo Quiet's and their clips don't fit the car right - they were barely, just barely rubbing on the rotors. Check those for scrape marks.

Check to see if you have a bent backing plate rubbing. The rears rust up the most. Also the rear parking shoe comes apart sometimes and makes te noise.

Will definitely check those out. I looked at them a while back but it is worth a double check. It is what it sounds like like. This truck has 4 wheel disc.

What brand brakes did you use? Did they come with new retaining clips?

I replaced brakes on my trans am with Thermo Quiet's and their clips don't fit the car right - they were barely, just barely rubbing on the rotors. Check those for scrape marks.

They came from autozone they have 3 types and I bought the best they had for the front since this truck pulls a 16ft tandem axle trailer everyday packed with commercial mowers. I need to install electric brakes on the trailer to save my truck brakes. Now that I remember those clips were a major pain to keep in place when installing the pad.

They came from autozone they have 3 types and I bought the best they had for the front since this truck pulls a 16ft tandem axle trailer everyday packed with commercial mowers. I need to install electric brakes on the trailer to save my truck brakes. Now that I remember those clips were a major pain to keep in place when installing the pad.

Yep they advertise Thermo Quiets as their best. I called Autozone and they were totally cool with me just bringing the parts back to exchange for new ones but sure enough the new ones did the same thing. I put the old clips back in and everything was fine. (hope you kept those)