NYC Shooting

CRed05

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/24/shooting-reported-outside-empire-state-building/

At least 10 people were shot Friday in front of the Empire State Building in New York Friday morning, the New York Office of Emergency Management said. A suspect in the shooting was shot and killed by police, New York police said.

Authorities converged on the building around 9 a.m. after reports of gunfire.

A witness told CNN's Rose Arce that the gunman ran after and shot a man in the head. An unarmed guard chased the gunman away, the witness told Arce.

Police have closed several several streets around 5th Avenue and 34th Street in Manhattan.

New York resident Max Kaplan, 22, said he heard at least nine gunshots. He said several ambulances have arrived at the scene.

"We're all very shaken up at the office," he said.

The Empire State Building is one of the most famous skyscrapers in the world, and one of New York City's best-known tourist attractions.

Each year, about 4 million people visit the building's two observation decks. At more than 1,453 feet tall, the landmark building reaches more than a quarter-mile into the sky.

Wait a minute, guns aren't allowed in the city, so how could this happen?.

I've worked in NYC and believe me, having a CCW in this situation isn't what you'd want to exercise. There are Police Everywhere and the moment they saw you with a gun draw in this type of situation, you'd be shot and killed just the same. You might save one life but you'll likely pay with yours just the same.

I know where you're going with your comment though.

There are more shootings in Chicago than troops killed in all of Afghanistan

There are ~90k troops in Afghanistan, the population of Chicago is ~2.7M. Total homicides in Chicago is almost even year to date. If you had a choice in which location would you choose to be dropped?

Dumb statements like you the one you made take away from the danger that our front line troops face on a daily basis.

There are ~90k troops in Afghanistan, the population of Chicago is ~2.7M. Total homicides in Chicago is almost even year to date. If you had a choice in which location would you choose to be dropped?

Dumb statements like you the one you made take away from the danger that our front line troops face on a daily basis.

http://touch.chicagotribune.com/#story/chi-shootings-chicago-violence-august-23-august-24-violence-gunfire-20120823/

I think I'd rather be in Afghanistan. At least there I could shoot back.