HUGE hole in the wall - How should I fix this??

Bkizz

I totally fucked up...here's the story. I was swapping out the wheels and tires on my car. I went down in my basement to get the other set and thought I would save time by grabbing 2 wheels at a time instead of one. No problem right? Well, I grab 2 and head up the stairs. When I get to the top step, one of my gloves slips and the tire goes bouncing down the stairs, hits the last step, bounces up and smashes a HUGE hole in the drywall...faaaaaaack!!!! It was like it happened in super slow mo too and there wasn't shit I could do to stop it. I just stood there for a good 10 seconds staring at what just happened.

So now it looks like I have a new project... I am just trying to figure out the best way to fix it. Do you think it would be easier to cut the out a section of drywall and replace it or should I just try to pull the broken pieces forward and patch it? Any crafty home improvement guys here?

hole002.jpg

hole003.jpg

First Cut out the bad section of drywall in a square. Next if you have any scrap wood around make a frame around the hole( 2x4's work good), leaving some to screw in a new piece of drywall. Then just use some drywall tape and mud to feather in the edges. I've repaired alot of holes this way. You dont want to try to just mud over it, it will be to thick and crack.

Agree need to cut and replace.

Best thing to do is cut with a straight edge to the stud on either side. Only cut half way on to the stud. replace with equal thickness drywall. Secure with drywall screws and tape edges. I am really liking the fiber tape (square holes)

Next thinly mud and tape with 4 inch trowel let dry sand and mud again with a 12 or 14 inch trowel.

Make sure you sand with at least a 12 inch flat edge to prevent waves.

That looks like something I would/have done in the past:rolleyes:

Next if you have any scrap wood around make a frame around the hole( 2x4's work good), leaving some to screw in a new piece of drywall.
Good call. I didn't think about boxing in a new frame between the studs. I finished my garage and used a lot of these same steps. I just hope I can get the new section to blend with the existing drywall that has layers of paint already on it.

Good call. I didn't think about boxing in a new frame between the studs. I finished my garage and used a lot of these same steps. I just hope I can get the new section to blend with the existing drywall that has layers of paint already on it.

Thats why you want a 12 or larger trowel to feather in the new board. Also its a smart idea to sand with a longer straight edge.

I can't see how big it is, but. I used to do a lot of campus repairs. Summer job. I would remove the bad stuff, and smooth the outside roughly. Then glue pieces of thin wood on the back of the drywall, for a new surface. You pull it tight, into place with strings. I'd cut a piece of dry wall to fit the hole. If it was thicker than the old drywall, I'd strip the paper off the backside of the patch. Either way, shim to a smooth fit. Glue it all together. Then plaster patch, mud and tape and sand and paint.

I never cared what shape the hole was, I just hacked the new patch to shape with the trowel, or small hatchet. When done, no repair was visible.

I suppose if you wanted to hit that wall again, I'd go with framing in across the studs.

those must be sum big tars!!!

Haha, not really. Stock 17's...but 35 pounds rolling down the stairs has a decent amount of momentum. The tread surface is what made contact with the wall...not the face of the wheel. It's about a 1.5x2 foot hole...it's just crazy to see how high on the wall it is. That thing got some good air time!

The only thing I am really worried about is the corner where the 2 walls meet. If it were in the middle of a large wall, that wouldn't be quite as tricky. I also realized that both walls are painted a different color that I will need to find matching paint for...what a pain in the ass this will be.

Lesson: Carry one wheel at a time dumb ass.

nobody likes a huge hole!!! i say cover it up with a poster or something. hahahahaha it is the basement

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's exactly what I told my girlfriend and she about shit herself. Hey, it worked when I was a kid and put a hole in my parent's wall...right?! (until we moved)

Eh, it is my condo so I do take pride in it...even for being the basement.

I totally fucked up...here's the story. I was swapping out the wheels and tires on my car. I went down in my basement to get the other set and thought I would save time by grabbing 2 wheels at a time instead of one. No problem right? Well, I grab 2 and head up the stairs. When I get to the top step, one of my gloves slips and the tire goes bouncing down the stairs, hits the last step, bounces up and smashes a HUGE hole in the drywall...faaaaaaack!!!! It was like it happened in super slow mo too and there wasn't shit I could do to stop it. I just stood there for a good 10 seconds staring at what just happened.

I get it. It's code...

"wheels" = anal plugs

"tires" = two sided dildos

"my car" = myself

Neat story. Sorry about your wall though, you animal.

I get it. It's code...

"wheels" = anal plugs

"tires" = two sided dildos

"my car" = myself

Neat story. Sorry about your wall though, you animal.

You caught me...I thought no one could crack it buy you proved me wrong.

alot of good advice on here, the best repair for a hole that size is (I agree with earlier posters) to cut it out and then use at least some 1x4 to frame the hole, or they also make a metal "flange" type to span 2 pieces of drywall, make sure the hole and the piece you are putting in are within 3/16" of each other or you will have a massive gap to fill, I suggest paper tape over the mesh kind of joint tape, but it's is all preference... if you use mesh put it on first then mud over the top of it... first coat should barely cover the mesh, light sand the edges after drying to smooth the patch down... use a low dust mud on the first coat (in a blue and grey tub at lowes) after you can use 20 min on the rest it'll save you time and you can finish quickly..... any more advice just call....

alot of good advice on here, the best repair for a hole that size is (I agree with earlier posters) to cut it out and then use at least some 1x4 to frame the hole, or they also make a metal "flange" type to span 2 pieces of drywall, make sure the hole and the piece you are putting in are within 3/16" of each other or you will have a massive gap to fill, I suggest paper tape over the mesh kind of joint tape, but it's is all preference... if you use mesh put it on first then mud over the top of it... first coat should barely cover the mesh, light sand the edges after drying to smooth the patch down... use a low dust mud on the first coat (in a blue and grey tub at lowes) after you can use 20 min on the rest it'll save you time and you can finish quickly..... any more advice just call....

:stupid:

If this doesn't work, try duct tape. :grin: