So nobody may care but..

Cordell

Congrats Scott. It's nice to achieve goals. Another year or two and I'll qualify for my principals license even though I doubt I'll ever make the jump to administration. Knowledge for the sake of knowledge is fine by me regardless of what others think.

It sounds like the certs are more respected outside the industry than inside it. ASE needs to find a way to fix that. If their own techs are choosing to let their certs expire rather than renew them, that is a big problem down the road.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but a tech with 10 years of experience who is also an ASE Master tech is worth more than a tech with just 10 years of experience. As with anything else, you ideally want to have more than the next guy if at all possible.

^^ I still say this.

Im telling you from experience.. You have never been in those shoes, so you dont know. Maybe in your line of work, but not this. I have seen it, and been there.

I hear ya, but Scott is proof otherwise. Every experience is unique. You're right that Jone and I don't have personal first hand experience, but I will say being in sales I can say for certain, if you have the good someone is looking to hire or keep, money is negotiable. The approaches to it will vary but there is value to having the paper as well as the experience.

Seeing as how I've worked in more shops then you it depends on a few things. Most shops I have worked at I would have to agree with you but not all. The one I work at now obviously, the shops that my Dad worked at cared too. Its not a lost cause to have your ASE certs, plus the non-mechanical people out there see it as something important as they have no other way of knowing if you have a clue or not.

Fuck it, I know techs with ASEs that i would trust to put air in my tires, I just don't feel its a lost cause.

This is how I see it. A lot of shops don't really care, but some really do put faith in ASE cert techs. I've never taken a test that I wasn't reimbursed for, but honestly I wouldn't take them if I wasn't. They were never a huge deal to me and aren't difficult to get IMO.

I have a couple that are about to expire in December that I don't plan on recerting b/c my employer now doesn't reimburse until you've been there a year. They don't even reimburse, they pay for them for you so no money comes out of my pocket. Once I get that year I'll probably recertify them and I'm not even a tech anymore. I'm on the parts side now, but they will still pay for any ASE certs.

We had this kid who never worked in a shop on cars ever come right out of collage and took the tests and passed them all. Dude was a master tech and never worked in a shop. He didn't make it a month before they fired him because he was stupid.

I've been master certified since '06 I think it was. At the dealers I've worked at it didn't really mean anything except for warranty claims on corvettes and hybrids. Since I was already one of the highest paid techs they didn't want to give me anymore money though. I've never paid for any ASE test I have ever taken the dealer always takes care of it.