Stripped Rear Differential Drain Plug

ej20_ftw

Well, I was trying to replace the rear differential fluid on my '06 IS250 AWD today, but I stripped the drain plug. The good news is I had a feeling that this would happen, so I bought a brand new drain plug a couple days ago.

I need someone that is willing to help me to remove the drain plug and put the new one back in. I am willing to pay some $$ or beer or food to compensate for your time. Anyone willing to do it today?

Blow torch and good set of vice grips will probably get the job done, where you located?

Also im guessing you need the fill-plug removed too?

West side, but the car is still driveable. Nope, I was able to remove the fill plug with no problem.

I'd hit it with a drimmel or grinder to make a flat notch in the outer ring, then hit it in the the correct direction to loosen it using a larger hammer and chisel or screw driver. Should come right out. Hit it with PB blaser just before you try also, will make it easy.

I'd hit it with a drimmel or grinder to make a flat notch in the outer ring, then hit it in the the correct direction to loosen it using a larger hammer and chisel or screw driver. Should come right out. Hit it with PB blaser just before you try also, will make it easy.

Was my next suggestion (probably the best now that I get a good look at it), personally I would hit that dougnut shaped housing area real good with a torch first (try not to heat the head of the plug as it will soften up) then try and smack it loose.

I got things going on non-stop today or I would take a shot at it.

Well, first of all, you didn't put the allen key bit in there all the way. You've only rounded out the top part, but not the entire thing. How about you heat it up real good, MAKE SURE that the bit is in there and seated entirely and then try again. This is a common noob mistake and a lot of VW fags do this because either they don't clean out the allen head or they use the wrong size.

Well, first of all, you didn't put the allen key bit in there all the way. You've only rounded out the top part, but not the entire thing. How about you heat it up real good, MAKE SURE that the bit is in there and seated entirely and then try again. This is a common noob mistake and a lot of VW fags do this because either they don't clean out the allen head or they use the wrong size.

Before you do that make dead-certain you have the right hex/allen to begin with. When I was doing my diff (SC300) a number of other sockets would fit snug, but experience told me they weren't the right size. Checked online (clublexus) and found the answer I was looking for, turned out to be some random metric hex I didn't have, ended up going to 3 different places to find it (Oriely's finally came through FTW)

Air hammer with chisel bit, get it dug in straight first then angle counter clockwise hit it till it breaks free and spins out. Done it more times than I can count

or hammer in a torx bit and see if you can get enough bite to break it loose

Sounds familiar...

Sometimes you can hammer a larger than the hole torx bit in there and it will grab.

Otherwise you may need to take a flat sharp chisel and try to cut a notch / turn the plug. I would use an air hammer but that's just me.

The OP came to the east side and I helped him out. All is good now.

Out of curiosity how did you guys end up getting it out? Run into any issues?

Answer....

Well, first of all, you didn't put the allen key bit in there all the way.

There was a lot of rust and crud build up in the hole. I had to hammer my bit in there to get it to bite. It was stupid tight in there, but we got it loose.