Sunday, October 7th Open House at the Hangout

Doc1647545523

On Sunday, October 7th, 9 a.m. to noon I'll be having an open house and reception at the hangout for author Steve Ulfelder. Steve is a thirty-year friend of mine, author of the Conway Sax novel series, car guy, and he'll be in the area to attend Bouchercon, the annual mystery writers' conference which is in Cleveland the week prior.

Steve's first novel Purgatory Chasm was nominated for the Anthony Award, which will be presented at the conference. He'll have copies of his first two novels at the hangout in case anyone is interested in an autographed copy.

Steve's novels feature an unlikely hero, an ex-con auto mechanic and former race car driver who struggles to hang on to his sobriety. His loyalty to his friends and to his AA associates puts him repeatedly back in contact with the violence and criminal life he strives to avoid. If you're into cars, film noir and violent themes, these novels are worth your time. His third novel is set for launch in 2013 and the publisher has signed-on for the yet-to-be-written fourth novel.

I'll serve coffee/hot beverages and rolls. They'll be a lot of tire-kicking in the lot and Forza4/foosball/air hockey inside. We'll be set up for rain or shine.

The first novel:http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1484285&postcount=4

Second novel: http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103431

Everyone from CR and from Cars & Coffee is welcome. :D

In case you haven't been there, here are directions:

Howald Industrial Park

320 London Road, Suite 101 (in Building 100)

Delaware, Ohio

(across from the intersection of London Road the Liberty Road)

the place is 14 miles north of Home Depot/Sawmill

it is 1.5 miles from the large Jegs Warehouse at Route 42 and London Road

If you are coming from Columbus, it's easy to just go north on US 23 to the first Delaware exit (South Sandusky Street, exit to the left but turn right on Sandusky, then go about a mile and turn left onto London Road at the McDonald's. The place will be on your right just after the Delco Drive Through.

If you are coming from Sawmill, go directly north on Sawmill Road until it ends at the Hyatts Road Roundabout. Turn right (east) on Hyatts Road, go into the village of Hyatts, turn left (north) on Liberty Road. Liberty road dead ends at the industrial park (turn left onto London Road, then immediately right, into the park).

Edited by Doc

Man it had to be the same day as the Zoo show :(

Yeah, I'm not happy about the timing, but it was the only time Steve can break away to come down. Matter of fact, he leaves Sunday afternoon to drive back to Mass.

It's also the morning after "the big wedding" that a bunch of CR people will attend. I imagine a few won't be in very good shape to get up early after that reception Saturday night.

I guess you could hit my reception for an hour or so and then go on to the car show. Registration for the show lasts until noon I believe.

Also, if it ends up being crummy weather for a car show, I've got an indoor event to attend instead.

This might not be a big event, but it'll be a fun. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping so that I don't hear "I didn't know about your open house" a week from now. :p

It's this coming Sunday, October 7th. The forecast as of now is 40 degrees, slight chance for a shower. The hangout and garage will be a cozy 70. :)

I've confirmed with Steve that he'll be there at 9. So, if you need to leave at 10 or so to register at the Zoo car show, you'll have plenty of time to chat with him if you want.

I'll have coffee and also Keurig versions of hot cocoa, hot apple cider, and tea. The frig is stocked with the usual beverages. I'll have a good supply of authentic Hamburger Inn Cinnamon rolls and a few dozen donuts ... a great way to sober up from Sean and Ericka's Saturday night bash!

I apologize that the cars and the garage are not up to snuff ..... I'll use my lousy back as my excuse for not having the place look sharper. But, I figure you guys won't mind a cobweb here or there.

Just a reminder -- it's a family friendly event. If there are kids around you, please watch the language. Smoking is fine outside the front door or in the parking lots. Butts into the receptacle please, not thrown on the pavement, shrubs, or sidewalk. No smoking in the garage and offices.

Questions or problems finding the place, call me: 740-405-5565

Edited by Doc

I was really wanting to come to this but, we will be out of town until that morning and I dont think we could get back in time. You should make this happen a little later, possibly starting at noon would be much more convenient for me.

Address and directions in the original post, but here again:

Howald Industrial Park, Building 100

320 London Road

Delaware, OH

across from the DelCo drive thru, directly across from the car wash painted orange with all the limos in front

Hope to see you there!