F-body fuel pump bullshit...

2 Sweet

So back in '07 or '08, the fuel pump in my '92 Camaro died. "Cut an access panel in the hatch" they said. "Do it the easy way" they said. Well, I should have fucking listened. I bought a brand new Delco pump and found a guy who did the job "the right way" for a hundred bucks (a great deal considering how much of a pain in the ass it is on these cars). Figured I wouldn't have to deal with it again for a loooong time and I didn't want to hack up my car, since I don't plan on ever selling it. Well, fast forward to right now. Should have cut a hole and should have bought a Walbro. The fucker died after 5 years and 20k miles.

I'm going to see if my brother will help me with it, but if he doesn't have the time, hopefully I can find someone on here that will do it for some cash. If anyone is interested, let me know. The moral of the story is: if you own an f-body and the fuel pump dies, fix it the easy way. My car is FAR from a show car (it looks like a pile of shit at the moment) so there's really no reason not to cut a fucking access panel in the hatch area. Lesson learned

I had same issue but what sucked was mine died on the dyno while getting tuned. So In order to get it done same day I did the cut panel in the back. Once I got it home I made some changes. I actually ended up making a hinge system to where metal i cut out can be flipped up and down in case I needed to get back into the pump. Also took some rubber stripping and put it around the hole and also painted it in order so it wouldnt rust. Little bit of undercoating on top to ensure a clean seal and I was done. Just something to keep in mind!

I have a 88 f body and I dont think the tank is to hard to drop as long as you know the panhard bar out. I absolutely refuse to chop a hole in the floor. If you take a look over at thirdgen.org there are some creative ideas about adding a hindge setup to the floor to access the sending unit.

I had same issue but what sucked was mine died on the dyno while getting tuned. So In order to get it done same day I did the cut panel in the back. Once I got it home I made some changes. I actually ended up making a hinge system to where metal i cut out can be flipped up and down in case I needed to get back into the pump. Also took some rubber stripping and put it around the hole and also painted it in order so it wouldnt rust. Little bit of undercoating on top to ensure a clean seal and I was done. Just something to keep in mind!

Pics of this? I need to start thinking about fuel system upgrades for the next phase of my project.

Pics of this? I need to start thinking about fuel system upgrades for the next phase of my project.

I'll show you a nice way to do it. Not to mention its under the carpet where nobody will see it. Mine is cut out, sanded smooth around the edges, and then I shapped a peice of diamond plate and glued it down with RTV. The couple times I questioned my fuel system it was so easy to pull the sending unit out, and clean the area up and glue it back down.

Unfortunally I dont but when we redo my fuel system for boost I will be sure to take some if you would like me to.

I'm not against cutting a hole in the floor, but when I changed the pump in my '88 (by dropping the tank), I noticed the hard lines coming out of the sending are close to 2 feet long. Seems to me one would also have to cut all of the lines and then splice them back together unless you cut a very large hole.

I honestly don't think its all that bad to just pull the tank. I did the pump in my T.A. in about and hour laying on my back with the car on stands. It's just not worth it to me to cut the car up. IMHO

I understand what you mean about not cutting up the car. But, I look at it from the point of view that I am adding a feature that should have been included from the factory. We've had to get into and out of mine several times since I've owned the car. It made me glad the previous owner cut the access and I didn't have to make the decision.