HELP - Anyone sell washer/dryers, have tips?

TTQ B4U

Our washer timer died yesterday and wife has been wanting a new set anyway. Not happy about dropping a ton of money so I'm hoping someone here either sells them and/or has a hook-up on them. Post up if you sell them or have insight on a good place to shop and models to look at.

Much appreciated.

Our washer timer died yesterday and wife has been wanting a new set anyway. Not happy about dropping a ton of money so I'm hoping someone here either sells them and/or has a hook-up on them. Post up if you sell them or have insight on a good place to shop and models to look at.

Much appreciated.

Check out Appliancemart, they took care of us when we got our dishwasher and microwave. Now, their stuff might be factory one off or have a dent in it, but it has the full warrenty.

I don't sell them nor do I know where good deals are but I always hear that if u get a change of address packet from the post office it has 10 or 15% off coupons for lowes. Just a thought.

Check out appliance smart off main street in reynoldsburg. Its one of those dent/ scratch places that'll be cheaper

I just bought a matching set from a guy who repairs and sells these as a side business. They are LG Tromm, very nice, and have worked great for the 9 months or so that I've owned them.

I dont have his name or number any more, so it really doesnt help you. I just know that he advertises on craigslist and sells them out of his home in galloway. He had probably 10-12 matching sets down in his basement ready to go.

Overall I paid $500 for both.

I bought a brand new Maytag washer last October from the Sears outlet on Brice Rd. It's a Bravos and I only paid $600 for it. It has a small scratch on the right side of it.

http://www.sears.com/maytag-bravos-xl-trade-4.6-cu-ft-top-load/p-02633601000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

This is the newer model but basically the same thing.

sears outlet is the shit, just inspect before you pay

I have front loader HE's, they clean just fine but the washer doesn't completely drain. This can sometimes leave a smell in the room. There's really no good benefit to a front loading washer.

The washer takes about an hour to wash, the dryer takes about a half hour on auto and medium heat.

edit - if you go to sears outlet, look stuff up online and print it out before you go. I bought a fridge there and it was priced higher on the floor than online, I brought it up on my phone and they honored the online price.

sears outlet is the shit, just inspect before you pay

I have front loader HE's, they clean just fine but the washer doesn't completely drain. This can sometimes leave a smell in the room. There's really no good benefit to a front loading washer.

The washer takes about an hour to wash, the dryer takes about a half hour on auto and medium heat.

edit - if you go to sears outlet, look stuff up online and print it out before you go. I bought a fridge there and it was priced higher on the floor than online, I brought it up on my phone and they honored the online price.

Good feedback.

I'm actually leaning towards a traditional non-HE unit. They are a bit smaller but then we have never had a larger one so oh well. Ours is 3.6cuft. and there are 3.9cuft ones so we do get a slight bump.

Main reason thus far is reliability in both quality and cleaning. Traditional units just seem to be getting far better ratings online than HE units. In todays market you don't always get what you pay for and reading through all these reviews one has to think there's some truth to them.

Upside is they are like $200-$400 cheaper for similar units.

One downside (if you can call it that I guess) to HE units is you have to use "HE" detergent. It can be expensive, unless you have a Sams membership. I get Era jugs 96 loads per for about 10 bucks a jug. Costco I would assume to be the same but I've never been there.

What are your thoughts on the time it takes for the H.E. units to wash?

Same time or less than traditional. Aside from the bearings in my LG Trom going bad (which btw, i was able to convince them to fix for FREE) at 3.5 years i have been VERY happy with them.

Lessons learned though.. Buy the extended warrranty for as long as you can. The HE w/d are all Direct Drive, and not easy to fix at ALL. Repairs are pricey.

However.. Had i to do it over again, i would have bought the Samsung HE models for 699- ive been using my neighbors for 2 weeks now, and i think i like it a lot.

Go to lowes or hd, they always have a clearance section and good price. I would recommend a newer HE but top load washer. The front load washer will get mildew and smelly over time.

Home Depot won out. Search several online sites /stores for information on units and carefully read reviews. Stores included were:

Lowes

HD

HHGregg

Sears

Best Buy

ApplianceSmart

Amazon mainly for additional reviews

What I found is if you do go with an HE unit, top load is the way to go. We always leave our lid open anyway but that's the only way on any unit to dry it out. Front loaders are ergonomically a PIA as it's hard to leave the door open. Higher dollar ones have fans in them to dry out the units but require the door to be open still.

• HE Units - aren't perfected. Read the above sites and especially the reviews and you'll find that HE units by far are less reliable. LG is one of the worst for service and issues early on. Countless folks have noted them failing in less than 3 years. Sammy too but they even have issues getting parts! Both however received high marks for features and what not when working....key being when they worked.
  • HE units - people use wrong soap or overload them all too often. Even with HE soap that contains the enzymes not all brands are made well or include the enzymes. Some bottles list "may contain" but may not.
  • HE units - do need cleaned monthly as there are often many sensors inside that both soap residue and lime/calcium damage over time.

In the end, reliability is key for me and HE units are just way too hit or miss and expensive to repair and also $300+ more up front.

The HE w/d are all Direct Drive

Just noting that not all are. Only the higher end models. The majority of Whirlpool and Maytag and GE's I looked at are still belt driven.

What I ended up getting as a great deal from Home Depot. GE Adora Unit (link to this unit)

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/146174712/original.jpg

$598 less a $50 promo and free delivery and haul away which is nice. Bonus was an additional $50 rebate from AEP for being an energy star compliant. $498 in the end is a great price.

Maybe the 10% Lowes coupon could help some? (not certain if it can apply to W+D)

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Lowes+Moving+Center_509684072_?cm_mmc=vanity_program-_-moving-_-l-_-l

EDIT: I see im late to the party.....

Thanks! Late vs never as they say. That's okay. Hopefully this thread helps someone in the future. HD and their 10% off works too. In my case it didn't apply to GE but instead they had a chart of $xx dollars off products in $xx - $xx range. Mine was $50. Equated to about 9% off the sale price.

Next washer/drier we purchase will be front loading. They tend to be gentler on clothes. Some of them will cycle and run a fan every few minutes with a load in it to keep clothes from getting mildewy. As far as them never completely drying out, run a little bleach thru them now and then and it's a non issue.

We just bought our Maytag front load washer and dryer at Appliance Smart and we bought last years model Maytag brand new for 1300 for the pair and Pedestals. This years Dryer is 1200-1300 by itself. Our Dryer has the steam cycle to de-wrinkle clothes. Going from top load ones that are 15 years old to these is a huge upgrade.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/21/8u5ude3u.jpg

Next washer/drier we purchase will be front loading. They tend to be gentler on clothes. Some of them will cycle and run a fan every few minutes with a load in it to keep clothes from getting mildewy. As far as them never completely drying out, run a little bleach thru them now and then and it's a non issue.

Good luck with that. I'm sure you'll be fine but I've heard about these issues for a few years but having had to do the research recently I'm shocked. My wife's sister and a friend both have had their front load units serviced due to issues and in both cases the techs have told them that unless they leave the doors open and run cleaner through them monthly mold is inevitable. Makes sense and as noted, we've always left the lid of our top load units open. Something that is just common sense really. Much more ergonomically difficult though on a front load unit.

Part of the smell is due to the residual water in the units, the other part of the smell is from the enzymes in the soaps that is necessary for the unit to clean the clothes since they are designed to use them. Those enzymes continue to break down and smell if the unit is not cleaned regularly. That soap also cleans the sensors inside of lime/calcium and the cleaners remove excess residue from them.

In the end whenever I see a design like this that requires special soap to clean, care for sensors and even have aftermarket fans now being installed on the latest manufacturer designs, that tells me the initial design is flawed. Way too many band aids needed for a simple washing machine. I suspect over the coming years these HE Unit designs will change. Until then, it's clear by reading reviews that there are tons of issues. I mean I can dismiss some of them as user error, but when units break down inside 3-5 years that's a flag for me. Especially disappointing on something is not cheap.

We leave ours open, they don't have to be left wide open, just cracked open, I don't see the difficulty leaving a top load open vs a front load cracked open. You can't open a top load only part way because of gravity. But it only needs to be part way open to dry. My Father in Law has had his Maytag front load washer and dryer for 5-6 years leave the door cracked and it has never smelled, or needed to be serviced.