First time home buying. Lessons learned, tips, etc

Brrcats

So I've finally decided to give up my nomadic ways and start looking for a house. The whole thing is very new to me, so hopefully people can give some good advice, lessons they learned during thier first time, and any comments on getting the most for your money, the best home loans, etc.

I'm going to be looking in the north side of town. Starting in Westerville, Lewis Center, and branching out into worthington, dublin, new albany, etc. I'd like to stay in the ~$200k range with 4 bedrooms preferrably.

So far my impressions is that I can probably get a newer home in lewis center than I can in the other areas. I like the look of newer homes, but i'm sure there are drawbacks.

I probably will have some money to do a few upgrades after the home is bought, but I'd like to do as little as possible.

So what would you have wished someone told you before you bought your first home?

Make sure you get a good home inspector. Mine sucked and missed some obvious stuff that ended up costing us money.

There is a nice older house in Worthington near North and Pinagree that has been updated and has a huge 3 car garage. I think it's 3bed and about 250k. Happy hunting.

Make sure you get a good home inspector. Mine sucked and missed some obvious stuff that ended up costing us money.

This times 1,000,000,000 Don't use Gary Glen, he is a fucking joke and a crook.

Also, take a good look at who lives around you and the traffic patterns. That saved us from a few bad spots.

Just my thoughts:

If you like new houses/interiors/amenities, buy a new(er) house. I bought a house built in the 90s and regret all the upgrades I am currently having to do.

Without kids 1400-2000 sq feet seems to be enough room. Now with 2 kids I am looking to upgrade to 2000+ sq feet within a year or 2. Going to look at new builds.

Patio > Deck

3 car garage for my next house is a must + room for a potential additional detached garage.

Watch out for anything built near property lines. It could be a problem down the line. Even auditor maps can be a bit off.

Negotiate your ass off. The people we bought from wanted to take all the appliances, etc. Make sure you get all the crap when buying the house + whatever other extras you can manage.

This times 1,000,000,000 Don't use Gary Glen, he is a fucking joke and a crook.

Also, take a good look at who lives around you and the traffic patterns. That saved us from a few bad spots.

This for sure, when I start narrowing it down to certain houses I plan driving there after work to see what the rush hour is like. Does anyone have a good home inspector who did a good job?

1) get a good realtor

2) buy what you can afford NOT what you get approved for- there is a HUGe difference!

So what does a realtor actually do for someone buying a home? I'm only buying what I need, I probably could swing a 300k house, but it would really be too nice and too much for what I really need at the moment.

Just my thoughts:

If you like new houses/interiors/amenities, buy a new(er) house. I bought a house built in the 90s and regret all the upgrades I am currently having to do.

Without kids 1400-2000 sq feet seems to be enough room. Now with 2 kids I am looking to upgrade to 2000+ sq feet within a year or 2. Going to look at new builds.

Patio > Deck

3 car garage for my next house is a must + room for a potential additional detached garage.

Watch out for anything built near property lines. It could be a problem down the line. Even auditor maps can be a bit off.

Negotiate your ass off. The people we bought from wanted to take all the appliances, etc. Make sure you get all the crap when buying the house + whatever other extras you can manage.

But if I watch out for property lines, how could I possibly start a hilarious thread about digging up part of my driveway :gabe:

There will be two children coming into the house, with everything going well, adding a third in the next few years. I would like a three car, but I dont think thats feasible in that price range unless I get place with some land for it.

A good realtor will save you thousands and can ensure you get good inspections and such. A good realtor will listen to what you want and find you te perfect house. They also know the areas they work and will know the schools, crime rates, and traffic patterns as well as Movements in value.

A good realtor will save you thousands and can ensure you get good inspections and such. A good realtor will listen to what you want and find you te perfect house. They also know the areas they work and will know the schools, crime rates, and traffic patterns as well as Movements in value.

how do they save thousands? through negotiations? magic?

knowledge of the area is a plus, forgive me if I'm thinking it wouldnt be that difficult to understand the rest of that with a little research.

Not trying to be a dick, just asking the question

My wife and I just bought a house in March 2011. Here are a few of my tidbits.

-Be patient. We searched for four months and lost three houses before we got the one we did. It is incredibly frustrating when you put in an offer and you find out someone is offering to buy it at asking price with cash.

-Try to find one in a developed area. I know you are looking for newer (not sure how much) but my neighborhood was built in 1989-1990 and they don't last very long when anyone tries to sell one. I've heard it can be hit or miss when trying to resell in a newer development. This is also personal preference.

-Keep an eye on your budget. What you think you'll be paying and what you're actually paying can be very different.

-Get a list of your HOA rules if there is one. Some aren't terrible, but make sure you're not going to be living in a neighborhood that's run by Hitler.

-Meet your potential new neighbors if you can. This can be a good way to guage the neighborhood. My neighbors are awesome and a big reason I liked my house so much.

I've got more probably but these are the only ones popping into my head. I've been in your shoes so if you need any other advice/questions, PM me.

My wife and I just bought a house in March 2011. Here are a few of my tidbits.

-Be patient. We searched for four months and lost three houses before we got the one we did. It is incredibly frustrating when you put in an offer and you find out someone is offering to buy it at asking price with cash.

-Try to find one in a developed area. I know you are looking for newer (not sure how much) but my neighborhood was built in 1989-1990 and they don't last very long when anyone tries to sell one. I've heard it can be hit or miss when trying to resell in a newer development. This is also personal preference.

-Keep an eye on your budget. What you think you'll be paying and what you're actually paying can be very different.

-Get a list of your HOA rules if there is one. Some aren't terrible, but make sure you're not going to be living in a neighborhood that's run by Hitler.

-Meet your potential new neighbors if you can. This can be a good way to guage the neighborhood. My neighbors are awesome and a big reason I liked my house so much.

I've got more probably but these are the only ones popping into my head. I've been in your shoes so if you need any other advice/questions, PM me.

Good advice there, thank you

how do they save thousands? through negotiations? magic?

knowledge of the area is a plus, forgive me if I'm thinking it wouldnt be that difficult to understand the rest of that with a little research.

Not trying to be a dick, just asking the question

Quite simply they have access to information you do not have. They get this through MLS and, more importantly, relationships with the other realtor. Please note this all goes for a good realtor... Many are worthless. A good realtor will take advantage of a bad one or someone not represented by a realtor in these transactions as they are not as simple as most think. example: buying realtor calls selling realtor and says "house is partially empty, mostly man's clothes in closet but pics of a couple on the walls, what is going on?". Selling realtor (who is not a good realtor) says "wife left the husband after he lost his job, he found work but in another town and moved to an apartment, thankfully he doesn't owe anything on the property". Buyers realtor now has the upper hand and negotiations will cost the seller money.

Go through Mark Stock, AngryBMW on here, for your mortgage. He just did Troublemakers, and is doing mine for me now.

And all the other stuff said here

This, I delt with some mortgage broker and talked to Mark Stock after and wish I'd have used him.

A good realtor and a good mortgage guy go a long way. I bought my house back in May and it went pretty well based on the realtor. If your credit is good simply demand the best and be prepared to wait as the whole home buying process is slow. Though I did get locked in at 3.875 APR.

The good realtor will know the right people to use and will make everything go better, if you'd like the contact info for mine just let me know.

Quite simply they have access to information you do not have. They get this through MLS and, more importantly, relationships with the other realtor. Please note this all goes for a good realtor... Many are worthless. A good realtor will take advantage of a bad one or someone not represented by a realtor in these transactions as they are not as simple as most think. example: buying realtor calls selling realtor and says "house is partially empty, mostly man's clothes in closet but pics of a couple on the walls, what is going on?". Selling realtor (who is not a good realtor) says "wife left the husband after he lost his job, he found work but in another town and moved to an apartment, thankfully he doesn't owe anything on the property". Buyers realtor now has the upper hand and negotiations will cost the seller money.

I getcha, thanks for explaining it like that.

This, I delt with some mortgage broker and talked to Mark Stock after and wish I'd have used him.

A good realtor and a good mortgage guy go a long way. I bought my house back in May and it went pretty well based on the realtor. If your credit is good simply demand the best and be prepared to wait as the whole home buying process is slow. Though I did get locked in at 3.875 APR.

The good realtor will know the right people to use and will make everything go better, if you'd like the contact info for mine just let me know.

So now the question is, does anyone know good realtors? My credit is good, nearing 800, so I'm hoping most of that stuff goes smoothly.

Cover 4-5 houses in each directiong and meet your potential neighbors. I just bought a little house and my next door neighbor turned out being someone who enjoys sitting in his garage revving his harley year-round for hours at a time, throwing fireworks out in the street at all hours, parking junky cars in his yard, dogs attacking mine through the fence, and being an all-around douchebag.

Don't settle for anything less than exactly what you want.. don't find yourself saying "oh well I could probably fix that, and paint that, and replace that.."

Educate yourself on the way various systems in the home work. Don't rely entirely on the home inspector. Look at the way things are laid out and work and ask yourself if it is the way you would do it if you were building the home.

It's unbelievable how annoying little things can be when you take them for granted and don't consider the ramifications on how they are done. Examples: out side water spigot placement, back and side yard access with vehicles for landscaping, trailers etc. down spout locations are important to look at too. You could be inviting all kinds of foundation issues if the down spouts drain too close to the home.

Drain condition is another to consider especially if its on a slab, poor water pressure or slow drains here can get extremely expensive because in most cases you gotta bust up concrete to make repairs.

Talk to neighbors and any cop you see in the area. Check public records at the police station for reports in the area of any crime patterns. Drive through the neighborhood or down the street at different hours or the day to see who is out and what traffic patterns as well.

Awesome time to buy a house right now, they are cheap and rates are stupid low. I know I just did a 15 year refi for 2.875%, deals are plentiful. Good luck in your search

If you find a neighborhood you are interested in the Franklin County Auditors site can be helpful. It will tell you the taxes and the County's estimated value of the properties. There is also a search feature that will show you what has sold recently. Just watch what type of sale it is so you don't compare market sales to auctions or sheriff sales. It's not as good as mls but its helpful.

Also, stay away from split levels. A few stairs don't seem bad at first but after a few years they suck.

Go through Mark Stock, AngryBMW on here, for your mortgage. He just did Troublemakers, and is doing mine for me now.

And all the other stuff said here

false marc is a huge fagget and got me the worst rate in town. plus he is a shitbum and likes men.

JK. Does good work, A+ would use again.

I would emphasize the most basic of tenants which is LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.

Another good thing to check out is property millage rates by school district:

http://tax.ohio.gov/divisions/tax_analysis/tax_data_series/publications_tds_property.stm

Of course, school districts matter for your family, as well as anyone who may want to buy your house down the road. Dublin, UA, New Albany are always top performers in Columbus...

http://www.dispatch.com/content/pages/data/school-education/school-rankings/school-district-rankings.html?appSession=577322334197871&cbSearchAgain=true