Good Vacuum for Hardwood floors?

Berto

So as you may have seen from the home improvement thread i just put new wood flooring in the entire house. The girlfriend insists on using her 'cast iron' Kirby while is great for the carpet everytime she uses it on the wood floor veins in my head want to burst.

We also have a small 'stick' vac. basically its a bissell dust buster on a broom stick. But this thing leaves a lot behind, even on the bare wood floor. The suction power is really terrible. I have to take the widening attachment off and put the nozzle of it directly on a piece of cat litter for it to pick it up.

I was just looking a dysons 'DC25' and one of their cannister ones. But I hear the uprights still scratch some of the reviewers floors. I was also considering the DC35 which is a 'stick' vac.

So to make a long story short, what do you guys use on your hardwood floors? I am thinking about trying to make the Kirby wood safe by covering the wheels in rubber or maybe a rubberized duct tape?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/23/nuge5u5e.jpg

We bought a DC24 for our hardwood floor. The ball works well and doesn't scratch. Works great and our floor is a textured hardwood as you can see. I bought it on woot.com NEW for $200 I think.

Edited by Benjamin

We bought a DC25 for our hardwood floor. Works great and our floor is a textured hardwood as you can see.

So you're a believer huh? Mine is laminate wood so should be a bit tougher and more resistant.

I have nothing to contribute. So I post pictures of dumb crap I find on the internet.

Broom and swiffer wet jet. No idea why you want to vaccum wood floors? It won't pick up as much and it is just gonna blow dust around.

We haven't had that issue with a DC24, the amount that we empty out of the canister amazes me. We get all these new carpet fibers that end up all over the hardwood floor, and the DC24 gets them all. We still use a wet swiffer to mop up water spots and other stuff.

Edited by Benjamin

We haven't had that issue with a DC25, the amount that we empty out of the canister amazes me.

I borrowed my sister's ball for a while to use on wood. Still blew stuff around and didn't pick up as much as the broom. Of course I have dogs and it is the hair that it blows all over the place. Ive had wood floors in the main living areas in 3 places over 8 years and still haven't found anything that works as well as a broom and swiffer wet jet.

I do find that running the vaccum hose around the edges does help a lot though.

I borrowed my sister's ball for a while to use on wood. Still blew stuff around and didn't pick up as much as the broom. Of course I have dogs and it is the hair that it blows all over the place. Ive had wood floors in the main living areas in 3 places over 8 years and still haven't found anything that works as well as a broom and swiffer wet jet.

I do find that running the vaccum hose around the edges does help a lot though.

Can't speak for the ball-style units but the standard Dysons we have on both levels have a floor setting that stops the agitator brush from spinning and thus it's just a strong suction so no blowing around of stuff. We have tile floors and it works well there.

However, that said, I would use a swiffer on the floors. We use it in the kitchen and bathroom tile and it works really well.

Parents house is hardwood all around. They have one of these

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202519308&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202519308&ci_kw=%7bkeyword%7d&kwd=%7bkeyword%7d&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202519308&ci_gpa=pla#.UF4ycI1lTYg

Does a really good job at removing scuffs even, and doesnt spread any dust around. Sometimes it'll leave thin streaks of water that evaporate pretty quick. Wheels are rubber, doesn't leave any marks. I believe they just mix water and vinegar in it.

Parents house is hardwood all around. They have one of these

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202519308&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202519308&ci_kw=%7bkeyword%7d&kwd=%7bkeyword%7d&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202519308&ci_gpa=pla#.UF4ycI1lTYg

Does a really good job at removing scuffs even, and doesnt spread any dust around. Sometimes it'll leave thin streaks of water that evaporate pretty quick. Wheels are rubber, doesn't leave any marks. I believe they just mix water and vinegar in it.

Seems like spinning pads would do a really good job of wearing the floor quicker than necessary.

We just had our hard wood floors in our new place redone. The guy who owns the company has been doing it for 53 years. He sad clean it up with a broom and use a Bona mop and hardwood floor cleaner. http://www.bona.com/en-US/

He seems a little old school so the broom and mop thing doesn't surprise me. I think about something like a Dyson that does hardwood floors instead of a broom. I will still use the (Bona) mop after.

Parents house is all hard wood in the main living area except for some tile (bedrooms are carpeted)...I don't know how many vacuums they tried, but none of them worked well. A good corn shop broom for general areas and a small whisk for corners are what I'd recommend. Also lots of rugs.

Technique is a lot of it too, start with the corners, then edges, and work across your line of dirt. Don't rush it, you'll flip dirt if you hurry. Use a short stroke, letting the broom rise after moving the dirt only two feet or so. Keep the broom head high or turned on the return stroke so you don't blow dirt back. Overlap your strokes so you sweep any particular spot three times.

It's a Zen thing...I LIKE using that simplest possible tool for any task, it lets you feel that YOU have accomplished something.

Seems like spinning pads would do a really good job of wearing the floor quicker than necessary.

We just had our hard wood floors in our new place redone. The guy who owns the company has been doing it for 53 years. He sad clean it up with a broom and use a Bona mop and hardwood floor cleaner. http://www.bona.com/en-US/

He seems a little old school so the broom and mop thing doesn't surprise me. I think about something like a Dyson that does hardwood floors instead of a broom. I will still use the (Bona) mop after.

It's really more of a mop replacement for hardwood floors. They have the complete bona kit as well. The hoover does a surprisingly good job at bringing out a shine on the floors after use.

I ended up getting 'ingenious'

I wrapped the old lady's ancient Kirby vacuum cleaner (that has great suction) with rubber.

Turns out an old punctured inner tube stretched over the wheels really nicely.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/BertoBizkit/Miscelaneous/092312_5286.jpg